Ford Inside News banner

Is Fords Platform sharing worth it

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  germeezy1 
#1 ·
just got to thinking how beneficial is it for ford to have majority of their vehicles sharing platforms.

To me the explore turned into a over-sized CUV no longer holding true to its SUV roots. By it sharing the Taurus platform it is limited to car handling ruining its off-road and towing capabilities. All vehicles on the platform use the same engines creating more of a body style choice over vehicle preference.

Same can be said about escape, focus, and other models in Europe that share the platform.

Then there the idea who takes an escape or explore off-road because they could opt and get the raptor which is the best.

My biggest complaint has to be Ford not seeing how some products become diluted by the global sharing of platforms, and the models that would benefit from platform sharing are neglected.
I just hope Ford finds a way to use the RWD mustang platform across more vehicles. The Australian falcon and mustang on the same platform along with either a Lincoln or the whole Lincoln line-up.

Chevy has a RWD SS on the way it would be a good time for Ford to make a sedan off the Falcon to compete.

So what are your thoughts on platform sharing.

See less See more
#3 ·
very interesting topic, Cobra

imho you're right, "SUVs" are the big question marks right now
but I think rather than "diluted" it's more like those "sliding tile games" where you have to move one tile before you can move another
while trying to get the overall pattern completed

imho whether right or wrong, Fomoco believes the F-150, AND protecting the F-150's sales, are reasons enough to put off having real-SUV vehicles, esp. little & medium ones;
since those would probably involve small truck applications too.
I still believe gas prices will eventually force them to give 'us' what we want...

tho even the nextgen Expedition based on the next F-150 will stay Large...

I'm hoping that a Global Rwd Platform, primarily for Lincoln, could provide a new Aviator & Navigator (& Territory) in addition to a Continental (& Falcon);
tho those won't help U.S. SUV-guys on a budget...

so/but/however,
I can't see any 4/AWD vehicles smaller than the F-150 in the near/foreseeable future - hope I'm wrong.

Re: the larger question of Ford having the majority of their vehicles on shared platforms
(which I'll phrase as "the fewest platforms possible");
- I'm in favorite of it
- don't see any alternative
even in my ideal Lincoln lineups, I've completely given up the idea of ANY unique, exclusive PLATFORMS.
Have NOT given up on RWD LIncolns!
&
don't care about Chevy's SS ... so far.

#5 ·
Your points are very valid, and because of economies of scale it is something that will continue. Toyota , and VW in many ways are moving away from this with modular platforms that are more of a components matrix than they are a platform. These platforms can be scaled for length, and width while also featuring common mounting points, and electrical architectures. Toyota has made a significant amount of money with it's MC platform that is far more encompassing then any Ford platforms which allow them to build vehicles from the Prius to the Sienna on the same platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.