Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Image from Zemotoring.com

For the past 6 months, the inventory for the Volt maintained a about the same as the Prius plug-in at around 1900 units in dealer stock. But over the past week, Volt daily inventory volume has increased to 9,264 as of today.

But it gets more interesting. The Ford Fusion Energi has been primarily a custom order vehicle, with only 5 in dealer stock since it's launch last year. But over the past week, inventory of the Fusion Energi jumped to 1,860 as of today. C-MAX still sits at about 1600 units.

There may be a reason for this...

Ford targeted the Fusion Energi directly at the Volt. Both the Volt and Fusion Energi have a 2014 production launch date of July 15, 2013. Which means, both manufacturers must clear out as many MY2013 models as possible for their 2013 sales numbers. Which leaves June as their target 'clearance' month. The 2014 model year does not bring any major changes for either vehicle, only color options based on FY2014 Order Guides. Or a possible trim level addition for Volt to offer a less expensive model. Fusion Energi already has the SE and Titanium.

But the rumor is that Chevy will drop the price of the 2014 Volt by $5k to $7k before the next gen in 2015/16, which could start in June with the current model to boost sales. If that happens, will Ford follow suite to be competitive, since the Fusion is about the same price as the Volt, at 40K, but with less of an tax incentive due to a smaller battery pack. Both automakers are loading up inventory of these expensive plug-in hybrids for a reason.

Neither automaker has any overly exciting offers on either vehicle to boost sales for May. So it looks like June will be the showdown.

So what do you think? Will Chevy drop the price of the Volt for 2014, will Ford drop the price of the Fusion Energi SE and Titanium to match the Volt? Or will both just offer really good lease deals?

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
well, I've read that Chevy is gonna lower the price on the Volt, too :toetap:
but
imho I kinda think Ford & GM have heard from their contacts in the Oil Industry/SlaveTrade/5thReich that gas prices are 'scheduled' for over $5pg this summer

Nice work bloggin, this will be interesting for sure. Many will claim they don't compete, but dang if they don't, other than the fact the Fusion is bigger and roomier. And more attractive IMO.
that'd be me
but then I'm very into smaller(er) cars. Even the Focus(sedan) is almost too long for me

·
Registered
919 Posts
Well. The Volt and Energi do not compete for the same type of vehicle though. The Volt has a gas engine that generates the electricity to charge the battery and the Energi has a typical hybrid system, but with the option to plug it in.

What I would like to see is a something smaller like a Focus Energi. I know they have an electric but a good volume unit like that would be good. Maybe a Fiesta Energi??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Well. The Volt and Energi do not compete for the same type of vehicle though. The Volt has a gas engine that generates the electricity to charge the battery and the Energi has a typical hybrid system, but with the option to plug it in.

What I would like to see is a something smaller like a Focus Energi. I know they have an electric but a good volume unit like that would be good. Maybe a Fiesta Energi??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Actually they are much closer than you think.
Remember, Fusion sells two hybrids, regular plus plug-in version mentioned here which actually gets slightly better mpge than volt. They both have an initial range in electric mode with that charge, with an eventual gas engine that kicks in to either propel entirely as in the Energi, and primarily used for charging the batteries like the volt. Fusion is more conventional as hybrids go, and volt looks farther ahead with GM's own proprietary output coupling technology which they have dubbed voltec.

I think sales will get far more interesting when both volt and Energi receive big upgrades in their next respective updates and lower prices, as they both become a bit more mainstream through affordability. I know the Fusion will be offering a much smaller and far more efficient gas motor in addition to new battery and charger improvements.

regardless of who sells more, both are further proof of America's technological prowess.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I never consider the Volt. Is ugly, is not very practical, and is expensive. And if you forced me to choose between Volt and the Fusion Energy, the election is the Fusion hands down.... The Fusion is a bigger car, much more atractive, practical and with better price/value relation.

·
Registered
997 Posts
There also needs to be a 1-2 punch by offering a Lincoln Energi to attack the higher price ELR (the Volts higher priced sister) in addition to the current Fusion Energi.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I never consider the Volt. Is ugly, is not very practical, and is expensive. And if you forced me to choose between Volt and the Fusion Energy, the election is the Fusion hands down.... The Fusion is a bigger car, much more atractive, practical and with better price/value relation.
even tho the Volt isn't perfect
I'd NEVER choose the Fusion: too big & no hatchback
(not everyone has a family to drag around)

There also needs to be a 1-2 punch by offering a Lincoln Energi to attack the higher price ELR (the Volts higher priced sister) in addition to the current Fusion Energi.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do MORE with the Z (ie hit harder)(& take on the Tesla 'S')
but
for a 2-punch they need ANOTHER E-vehicle
&
if it's not *close* in size to the ELR, it's NOT a direct competitor imho

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
even tho the Volt isn't perfect
I'd NEVER choose the Fusion: too big & no hatchback
(not everyone has a family to drag around)

I'm not saying they shouldn't do MORE with the Z (ie hit harder)(& take on the Tesla 'S')
but
for a 2-punch they need ANOTHER E-vehicle
&
if it's not *close* in size to the ELR, it's NOT a direct competitor imho
If you think the Fusion is too big and dont like it because is a fastback-notchback sedan, Ford have the perfect car for you: the Focus Energy!

And a close competitor for the Cadillac ELR, i think a next gen Mustang based plug-in hybrid Lincoln could be a great idea

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
If you think the Fusion is too big and dont like it because is a fastback-notchback sedan, Ford have the perfect car for you: the Focus Energy!...
What Focus-Energi, F.L.??
there's not even a 'regular-hybrid' Focus

...And a close competitor for the Cadillac ELR, i think a next gen Mustang based plug-in hybrid Lincoln could be a great idea
well...
I DO feel it'd be good for all Lincoln(Mercury)s to be variously electrically-assisted (as I've said in the various 'Mission' threads & others)
but
afaik packaging a full-hybrid drivetrain into any vehicle causes certain compromises in structure, interior space, weight
& imho the LincStang can't afford to veer too far from pure LuxSport sedan/coupe,
at least not any time soon < which btw
I don't see the LincStang arriving before 2015cy & would love to see an ELR/electric-Specific competitor ASAP

crossreference: Revamp thread "what if"

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
What Focus-Energi, F.L.??
there's not even a 'regular-hybrid' Focus

well...
I DO feel it'd be good for all Lincoln(Mercury)s to be variously electrically-assisted (as I've said in the various 'Mission' threads & others)
but
afaik packaging a full-hybrid drivetrain into any vehicle causes certain compromises in structure, interior space, weight
& imho the LincStang can't afford to veer too far from pure LuxSport sedan/coupe,
at least not any time soon < which btw
I don't see the LincStang arriving before 2015cy & would love to see an ELR/electric-Specific competitor ASAP

crossreference: Revamp thread "what if"

rigth! I mean Electric Focus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts