Ford Inside News banner

Is This the New Lincoln Compact Sedan?

15K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  joseodiaga4 
#1 ·
Is this the New Lincoln Compact Sedan?

Here is the clearest image taken from the video yet.

Lincoln released a new youtube video to highlight the new approach lights of the new 2015 MKC.

But what was hidden in plain sight is the real interesting part of the video. Previously Lincoln, like other automakers, will show a glimpse of a new model in the marketing of a current vehicle. The MKZ front end was initially introduced the same way in a auto show video for the MKS/MKX refresh.

Now what we see in the latest 2015 MKC video is the back end of what looks like a Mustang based or Focus based sedan. Being Mustang based, it would also be RWD. And a new Lincoln convertible would be in the cards also.

Why do we think it could be a RWD Mustang based Lincoln sedan or coupe?

Here is a quote from mustang6g.com where during the Mustang's Sydney launch last night, Ford's Vice President of Product Development for Asia Pacific and Africa, Trevor Worthington, said that the Mustang platform was all-new and the unique vehicle architecture could "presumably" spawn new models.

"I mean if you've got something ... designed to do what this car is designed to do or use it for something else, if you wanted to [you could],"

"If we chose to make a Lincoln version of the Mustang -- I can't imagine ever doing that -- but if somebody smarter than me decided to do that, then yeah you could use that architecture,
"

Some may think it's the current MKZ. But it's lower than the MKZ, and has a lower smooth trunk lid, missing the center trunk hump with integrated spoiler of the MKZ. Along with having a chrome bar across the full length of the light bar that's not on the MKZ. Asside from the fact that the MKZ is already launched and Lincoln is spending millions to get the public to look at it, so it makes no sense for Lincoln to hide it in a video.

But could it really be the new C-Segment Sedan?

Some may think it's c-segment Lincoln based on the Focus platform, but it seems to have a too wide a stance for that. We also know it has duel integrated exhausts, which may not be an option on a sub $30k sedan.

But then again, Lincoln stated they are targeting the highest volume/growth segments with new vehicles, and the luxury c-segment is a big growth segment right now, with the sub $30k Mercedes-Benz CLA and Audi (Jetta based)A3 sedans recently launching. Along with the fact that this new sedan is in a video with the new c-segment 2015 MKC.

Fordinsidenews started this conversation back in Sept 2013 when BMW announced they are launching a new FWD c-segment sedan. But it seems Lincoln was already hard at work. And with the reported delay in the launch of the 2016 MKX, that opens a nice launch window, where it's a good chance we may see this new sedan at the Chicago Auto Show with the already exposed, refreshed 2015 Navigator.

You be the judge. Watch the video....

Below is the rear of the current MKZ for comparison.

Attachments

See less See more
1 5
#3 ·
Re: Is This a New Mustang Based Lincoln Sedan/Coupe?

Clearly, is a teaser. Lincoln is playing with us hahahahahahaha. Is a new car. Not the MK Z. I think , and i sayid when i saw the pic, that Looks like a coupe based On the Mustang. The video have no reason to show a MK Z covered. Is a new car!

#4 ·

no that is just the MKZ

#5 ·

Either the LincStang (should we call it LS? ) or a compact Lincoln.

many people say this and that about compact luxury cars... Here in Manhattan I've seen many many CLA... They are selling like hotcakes!!!

is a great deal!!!

I think if they use the future Focus platform and tweak it good, we could have an AWD lil Linc to compete and even beat the CLA45.

#7 ·

I don't think that's Mustang based. I expect to see more aggressive styling from the LincStang. Why would they make it look so much like their FWD volume sedan?

#8 ·

no that is just the MKZ
Dont think so. Why to "show" a MK Z partially covered in the MK C video?? Is a different kind of car. The rear end has some MK Z style elements, but the tailligths are different. And looks more rounded. Is a copupe or a new sedan. Is this case, is a small sedan based on Focus. Mr Mullaly talk about compact crossover and sedan for luxury brands...

#9 ·

Either the LincStang (should we call it LS? ) or a compact Lincoln.

many people say this and that about compact luxury cars... Here in Manhattan I've seen many many CLA... They are selling like hotcakes!!!

is a great deal!!!

I think if they use the future Focus platform and tweak it good, we could have an AWD lil Linc to compete and even beat the CLA45.
I agree with you. Lincoln, with the Focus plattform, could make a better car than the Mercedes-Benz CLA. For sure...

#10 ·

That back is different from the Z

look at the lights bro.

why is it covered? On the background... Think about it...
No it's not the back is the same look at the cutout on the rear bumper where the black plastic trim is:

They are covering it up probably because it is supposed to be some sort of movie set and they are closing up for the night while everyone goes home hence why the main character is walking out to her car. IMO you guys are over analyzing it.

#11 ·

I may be imagining it, but it looks like a chrome strip above the taillight, and the lights don't expand upward at the ends of the trunk lid. The bumper line seems to expand up on the sides, and the lights seem to wrap around and taper up as it ends and even may wrap around a little.

#12 ·

No it's not the back is the same look at the cutout on the rear bumper where the black plastic trim is:

They are covering it up probably because it is supposed to be some sort of movie set and they are closing up for the night while everyone goes home hence why the main character is walking out to her car. IMO you guys are over analyzing it.
Sorry, but i need to insist: the tailligths profile is not the same as the MK Z taillighs profile. And the car looks smaller. And, when you see the video, is clearly that Lincoln is saying us something: this car is coming soon.

Time will give us the answer...

#13 ·

I may be imagining it, but it looks like a chrome strip above the taillight, and the lights don't expand upward at the ends of the trunk lid. The bumper line seems to expand up on the sides, and the lights seem to wrap around and taper up as it ends and even may wrap around a little.
Looks like a reflection from the lights.

#15 ·

watch the video again...no license plate cut out in bumper.

#17 ·

I think it is a small sedan......although what I don´t understand is that if this is a new model why they tease it now, the MKX and MKS are not coming before it??
It's better if Lincoln launched a new car 'between' the two SUVs(MKC and MKX) because the car won't compete with either SUV customer.

#18 ·

Light bar is definitely different from the MKZ, but it isn't a sports car. I think that's the smaller Lincoln, it can't be the MKS or LincStang.
As I look more at the video stills, it looks more like it would be the c-segment sedan. Another clue that its not an MKZ i's that the rear end is more round, hopefully to match the more round front end, as opposed to the sharp edges at the rear of the MKZ with a more round front end.

#20 ·

could be Bloggin, well if we see a new video with a teaser like this we'll be sure.............a surprise for NY?
I think it may be a surprise for Chicago. Lincoln presented the refreshed 2015 Navigator early and prior to the Chicago show. Which opens up an opportunity for an actual new product reveal at the Chicago show. Which I think would be this new Lincoln compact sedan. This is also in alignment with the push back of the next gen MKX, to allow time for this sedan to show 'between' the two SUVs. And show with the 2015 MKC.

#21 ·

I think it is a small sedan......although what I don´t understand is that if this is a new model why they tease it now, the MKX and MKS are not coming before it??
Maybe Lincoln have a surprise to us. A good surprise: a new compact sedan... I hope that

#22 ·

Light bar is definitely different from the MKZ, but it isn't a sports car. I think that's the smaller Lincoln, it can't be the MKS or LincStang.
My thoughts exactly! The LincStang is going to have to bring far more excitement then that tail has. Look at the wide hips of the Mustang, no way they dumb down the Lincoln to the extent shown in that shot. Further I can see the logic in a small Lincoln parroting the MKZ style, but I see no logic in the brands image car looking like nothing more than a MKZ.

As for the image, the vehicle is clearly narrower than the MKZ, based upon the person standing next to it I would say its clearly Focus sized. As for those who feel its nothing more than a MKZ tail, the bumper line midway between the lights and the black diffuser is more oval where the MKZ remain flat across the back end until it reaches the sides. That last detail could just be a lighting issue, maybe, but the size is clearly smaller.

Finally, the single reason we can all breath a sigh of relief that this is not the LincStang, look at those skinny azz tires!

#24 ·

Maybe Lincoln have a surprise to us. A good surprise: a new compact sedan... I hope that
My guess is the car is a prototype that they've decided not to produce at this time. The current gen Focus is midway through its life, meaning it will remain in production for only four more years. I don't see Lincoln investing what it would take to produce a Lincoln off of the current Focus with such a short life span to recoup the investment. Look at the new Navigator with a lifespan of between two and three years, they really didn't invest much at all. A LincFocus is going to be a much lower margin car than the Navigator, thus less money to spend on it.

One alternative is this is a design study for what Lincoln may build off of the next Focus platform, thus this tease will have to hold for another three years or so before it debuts.

Another alternative as I see it is Lincoln has taken the lead on development of the next Focus platform and the LincFocus will debut well in advance of the next Focus. I'm not holding my breath.

#25 ·

Sorry, but i need to insist: the tailligths profile is not the same as the MK Z taillighs profile. And the car looks smaller. And, when you see the video, is clearly that Lincoln is saying us something: this car is coming soon.

Time will give us the answer...
Could we be seeing a refresh of the MKZ? Its getting close to time for a facelift isn't it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.