Jalopnik

Looks like Honda is willing to take styling risks

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Do you like it?
Jalopnik
Looks like Honda is willing to take styling risks

Risks? Like risking looking completely generic?
I almost agree with
_______________long_live_the_E36 @ Jalopnik (who) says:
_______________"Wow. Stunningly unoriginal. And yet, difficult to object to."
almost because of some weird details:
the panel gap between hood & grille
the oversized HLs
the doorhandle thingies
(don't remember the rear)

IF I notice it on the street it'll probably blend-in
but Honda imho is becoming a(nother) brand where I'll consciously avoid paying attention to their 'styling':
fRidgeline
Civics (both)
CRV
& now Accord
seems they're going 50-75% in a good direction but stopping before they're 'fully baked' eeeeewwwwwwww

Oh - not to post copyrighted pix - but here's a link to links to BIG pix
Vtec via CarSpyShots
couldn't find big versions at Jalopnik

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
As a Ford employee, I just want to say that I will sleep better tonight after seeing the new Accord.

Nice, but nothing special to look at. The current Fusion still looks better and the next one will trump it completely.
I am glad to say that Ford has covered its reliability shortfall.
But we all need to remember, Honda has never relied on looks to sell

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I am glad to say that Ford has covered its reliability shortfall.
But we all need to remember, Honda has never relied on looks to sell

Times are different bro.

Let's see how well they sell vanilla now with so many other great flavors out there that match their quality too. Ford and GM's continued gain in market share will come at someones expense.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
The divide between American Styling and Japanese Styling continues to grow. It is absolutely amazing how polarized Japanese Automakers are in terms of styling their vehicles in that uniquely..."Japanese" way where they all look alike.

I am just thankful that the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan will continue to stand out stylistically against this "new" and supposedly improved Honda Accord.

Now when the 2009/2010 Mid-Cycle Re-fresh hits for the Fusion, Milan, & MKZ...well, Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are going to have their hands full keeping customers in the showrooms with their "supposed quality advantages" now that American cars have style and presence plus quality that meets or in many cases exceeds the Japanese and Koreans!

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just a plain, ordinary car that will blend in with the crowd, but that is probably why they sell so many Accords. Im sure Honda will sell quite a few of them until the Malibu and next Fusion come out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Times are different bro.

Let's see how well they sell vanilla now with so many other great flavors out there that match their quality too. Ford and GM's continued gain in market share will come at someones expense.
'Continued gain in market share'????

They're struggling to maintain a semblance of a 'Big 2' at this point.

At this point in the game, all Honda has to do is not mess up. And from the looks of it, they haven't- 3 engine choices, 2 four cylinder options, a diesel in a couple of years, and in all likelihood it will continue to be the benchmark in the segment as the 'drivers car'. They've got all of their bases covered again.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

They're struggling to maintain a semblance of a 'Big 2' at this point.

At this point in the game, all Honda has to do is not mess up. And from the looks of it, they haven't- 3 engine choices, 2 four cylinder options, a diesel in a couple of years, and in all likelihood it will continue to be the benchmark in the segment as the 'drivers car'. They've got all of their bases covered again.
I will tell you one thing. Honda sells not becouse its superior, (though it is) but becouse of perception. the Malibu, and the current Fusion are really game changers. They will not take over the world, but they will gain a beachead. The war is on

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
That's right, I said gained. Maybe not so much into direction just yet, but nonetheless. From a huge yearly slide to maintaining is a positive net difference or gained difference as they have stopped the slide in lost market share. That is not easy. Same with profits. Somewhere in between billions lost and billions gained there has to be a positive net difference.

Got it;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's right, I said gained. Maybe not so much into direction just yet, but nonetheless. From a huge yearly slide to maintaining is a positive net difference or gained difference as they have stopped the slide in lost market share. That is not easy. Same with profits. Somewhere in between billions lost and billions gained there has to be a positive net difference.

Got it;)

Baloney.

All the Fusion and Five Hundred, err, Taurus have done is barely stem the blood loss. The Accord, Camry and Altima all continue to post sales increases on huge levels, while the American challengers tread water. That isn't gains- that's neutrality. Same with the Aura, G6, Malibu et al. Look at the yearly sales of something like the Taurus, even before it became a fleet darling, and tell me that the scant sales of the Five Hundred and Fusion represent a 'beachhead'.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will tell you one thing. Honda sells not becouse its superior, (though it is) but becouse of perception. the Malibu, and the current Fusion are really game changers. They will not take over the world, but they will gain a beachead. The war is on
The current Fusion has an interior that can't match up with the current Accord, nevermind the next gen. It drives well, I'll give it that, but apart from that, the only calling card it has is that it is available with AWD. Something that everyone and their mother is about to come to the dance with soon, and something that is not available in I4 models if I remember right, which represent the bulk of sales for all of these midsize models.

The Malibu? Give me a break. Two tone interiors don't make a contender.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Baloney.

All the Fusion and Five Hundred, err, Taurus have done is barely stem the blood loss. The Accord, Camry and Altima all continue to post sales increases on huge levels, while the American challengers tread water. That isn't gains- that's neutrality. Same with the Aura, G6, Malibu et al. Look at the yearly sales of something like the Taurus, even before it became a fleet darling, and tell me that the scant sales of the Five Hundred and Fusion represent a 'beachhead'.
Bull-kaka.

one accord against how many Ford/Merc products is not a fair fight and you know it. It's about total sales and there has been significant increases. Don't forget the huge drop in fleet sales too.
Neither is one camry against many Chevy/Saturn/Pontiac/Buick models.

I would expect more from someone who gives themselves the title that you have chosen:rolleyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is an element of distorted perception when talking about brands and market performance. However good the Fusion/Milan and their other domestic competitors may be, Honda will still have a competitive advantage at the dealer level.

Honda dealers just treat their customers differently than most Ford dealers. I know, we have both Honda and Ford vehicles.

I can think of any number of Honda dealers in the area with good reputations. For Ford, the number shrinks to about 2 or 3 if I stretch the definition of "good" to mean "not antagonistically terrible". And two of those are too far away to be considered for warranty service. That leaves me with one Ford dealer with whom I'd even consider doing business out of about half a dozen within a reasonable drive.

Buyers will choose a car as much (if not more) on the dealer experience than on the car itself. A well-executed model like the Fusion will get the buyer in the showroom, but a lot of the dealers will drive them back out. That rarely happens in Honda dealerships, at least in my experience here in central MA and northern RI.

Ford is doing some great things on the product side, but the dealer body is something Ford still needs to address to experience the success that the new products appear to deserve.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Baloney.

You have to start somewhere. The tables are turned from the scenario that we had in 1997 where the Camry and even more the Accord started to gain their way into the American public. The difference is that the domestics allowed it and judging by the product that they came with in those days, also encouraged it.

Now the domestic product will have to recoup as much terrain as they can in an environment were the Japanese maker wont cede an inch without fighting and were we can count with as formidable product from them as they have provided for the last 15 years. American makers will have to fight with excellent product and I am pretty sure they will have great success, it will be a long and painful process though.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The current Fusion has an interior that can't match up with the current Accord, nevermind the next gen. It drives well, I'll give it that, but apart from that, the only calling card it has is that it is available with AWD. Something that everyone and their mother is about to come to the dance with soon, and something that is not available in I4 models if I remember right, which represent the bulk of sales for all of these midsize models.

The Malibu? Give me a break. Two tone interiors don't make a contender.
In my opinion , the only thing the Malibu does not have going for it is a Diesel, in its future and a Navigation unit. But, its going to be a good vehicle. It will not take any crowns, but it will make inroads.

The Driving characteristics of this plartform are very good. I think the Mazda 6 is better, but its right up there. If its anything as good as the current Aura, it will indeed make inroads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts