Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eric,
With the F150's new electric steering, are there any limitations compared to the conventional design? What concerns me is it is not offered in the heavier 6.2 engine models. Will the electric design hold up under stress from weight and extreme turns? For example when pulling in reverse using the tow hooks and wheels cut to maximum, through ditches, over logs, etc. Is it as tough as conventional steering?

·
Chief Engineer 2011 F-150
22 Posts
The max towing capability on the EcoBoost is 11,300 lbs. That is also the max towing capability of the 6.2L V8. The 5.0L has a max towing capability of 10,000 lbs. You will need to check as these are all dependent on which model/configuration that you choose.

Hello Eric,

On a day to day basis i do haul a lot of construction equipment and such, what is the towing capacity on the 2011 Ford F-150 Eco Boost? How much of a different is the towing capacity from the 3.5 v6 Eco Boost to the 5.0 and 6.2 V8's offered?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mr Kuehn,

personally im not that big of a fan of v6 engines in trucks. i always believed in nothing but a v8. but after seeing the torture test you put the v6 ecoboost through i have to say im beginning to take a second look at the v6. having said that i have a couple of questions.

1. out of all the v6 and v8 engine options available. which one is your favorite and why?
2. other than better fuel economy are there any other advantages to the 3.5l ecoboost motor compared to the 6.2l v8 motor?

·
22 Posts
The EcoBoost does get great gas mileage unloaded or under load. The calibrations have been optimized to deliver the maximum performance under both operating conditions. Remember that the way the EcoBoost technology is working it is utilizing exhaust gases that are otherwise lost energy and instead, that energy is turning the turbos. So even under load you can expect the EcoBoost to deliver great fuel economy as compared to a V8.

Hi Eric! I just wanted to thank you for opening up your time for a few hours today! Its great that we get the opportunity to ask you some questions.

What I have is more of a concern.... Im in the market for a new truck and the appeal of the EcoBoost engine is really attractive to me. I do a lot of towing on the weekends from things like PWC's, Boats, Motorcycle trailers that sort of thing. I know the EcoBoost probably gets great gas mileage but what does it do under load? In my mind even though it does make the power and torque numbers, how are they compared to v8's? The Turbos must work pretty hard to make those number and when the turbos spin that equals higher fuel consumption.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you answered the question previously posted regarding a diesel engine for the F-150. Sure would like to see a US manufacturer take that on. I currently own an F350 Powerstroke. Smaller version of that in a 150 would be great.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Eric

Turboed motors are generally known for high end power rather than low end torque. Is there any noticeable difference between the EcoBoost and 6.2L V8 when moving from a dead stop while towing the same load? Would the V8 have more ease in moving while in the low rpm range? This is of course assuming that both trucks would have the same setup, same options, same configuration, and the same amount of load being towed.

Hitch

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello.

I never had an experience using a V6 in a truck, and this must be the first I heard of the EcoBoost with twin turbo's. V8's have always been my ideal choice when going for a truck with my purpose.

At what RPM range can we expect to have peak power?

Do these turbo's work like a sequential turbo setup?

·
22 Posts
You can expect the same great performance and durability with the EPAS as you would from a conventional power steering system. The benefits however with the EPAS include better fuel economy, steering calibrations that are specific to each vehicle configuration, includes drift control for road irregularities and can even compensate for situations that can cause pulls left or right with a road crown.

Eric,
With the F150's new electric steering, are there any limitations compared to the conventional design? What concerns me is it is not offered in the heavier 6.2 engine models. Will the electric design hold up under stress from weight and extreme turns? For example when pulling in reverse using the tow hooks and wheels cut to maximum, through ditches, over logs, etc. Is it as tough as conventional steering?

·
22 Posts
We cannot talk about future product plans and we continuosly assess the customer market demands as part of our planning process.

Have you answered the question previously posted regarding a diesel engine for the F-150. Sure would like to see a US manufacturer take that on. I currently own an F350 Powerstroke. Smaller version of that in a 150 would be great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Eric,
I'm definately interested in the Ecoboost F-150. Thank you for finally being able to put turbos into a gasoline pickup!

I'm going to a local Ford dealership tomorrow, but I have a few questions for ya!

1) What is the fuel flow rates for the Ecoboost fuel injectors? I think the PN is CM-5202 or maybe CM-5199.
2) Does the truck have a standard or optional boost gauge?
3) Why is the Ecoboost motor not available in the STX.
4) Why no Standard transmissions.
Thanks!!
Will

·
22 Posts
Because of the torque curve of the EcoBoost engine (this can be seen in the Torture Test Episode 2: Hauling Timber that is on ford.com/f150) it has a steep torque curve from a dead start and therefore provides a noticeable launch performance even while towing heavy loads. This can also be seen when comparing to a V8 in the Torture Test Episode 4: Head to Head on ford.com/f150.

Hi Eric

Turboed motors are generally known for high end power rather than low end torque. Is there any noticeable difference between the EcoBoost and 6.2L V8 when moving from a dead stop while towing the same load? Would the V8 have more ease in moving while in the low rpm range? This is of course assuming that both trucks would have the same setup, same options, same configuration, and the same amount of load being towed.

Hitch

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello Mr. Kuehn,

My local Ford dealer has mentioned the EcoBoost to me but with very limited information, I'm glad to have someone of your caliber to come on here and answer our questions. It is much appreciated!

Has Ford done anything to help the eco boost engine save gasoline and reduce emissions ?

Thanks!

·
22 Posts
I love each of the new powertrains like they were my kids. As each has its own personality and qualities. The 3.7L is just a great entry level engine that provides those customers with BIC fuel while at the same time delivering great hp and torque. The 5.0L is the perfect V8 match with the F-150 as it provides a very balanced overall vehicle experience and use. The EcoBoost truly delivers on the "And Solution" with maximum capability while delivering great fuel economy. The 6.2L has that special fit with vehicles like the Raptor and the Harley Davidson that just really brings out what those customers are looking for.

Mr Kuehn,

personally im not that big of a fan of v6 engines in trucks. i always believed in nothing but a v8. but after seeing the torture test you put the v6 ecoboost through i have to say im beginning to take a second look at the v6. having said that i have a couple of questions.

1. out of all the v6 and v8 engine options available. which one is your favorite and why?
2. other than better fuel economy are there any other advantages to the 3.5l ecoboost motor compared to the 6.2l v8 motor?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Eric,

Having watched the EcoBoost torture test I'm very curious as to how well the V8's would stand using the same torture test. Are there any plans on putting the V8 engines through the same test as to prove their reliability?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Can you tell us which engines will be available in the Expedition?

Any chance of getting the block letters F O R D spelled out on the F150 tailgates again?

·
22 Posts
My time is up right now, but please continue to send your questions and I'll jump in from time to time in order to answer as many of your questions as I can.

Thanks for all the great questions today.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Eric, what gas mileage should we expect from the 3.5 eco boost? What is it like compared to the 3.7 V6, 5.0 V8 and 6.2 V8? Are there any official MPG ratings released as yet?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts