Ford Inside News banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JULY 17, 2012
China Car Times

Jiangling are partnered up with Ford to produce Ford’s commercial vehicle range in China, this largely consists of the Transit in various formations, LWB, SWB, 7 seat, 9 seat, 12 seat and beyond, lets not forget Twin Axle, High Top, Low Top etc, they also produce their own range of pick up trucks. The Chinese pick up truck market is relatively small when compared to the passenger car market and largely relies on compact trucks rather than larger mid size and full size, the latter two being largely imported models.

Chinese cities really don’t like pick up trucks entering their inner city limits, they are classified as commercial vehicles and are banned from entering many inner city roads during 9-5 hours, so trucks are rarely bought for personal use and remain in commercial use. Late last year Foton launched the Tunland mid size truck, Jiangling are looking to counter it with the introduction of the above Tiger.

Full text at link

·
Registered
219 Posts
unrelated, I think Ford has made a mistake on exiting the small pickup market in the U.S. I know that the current sized Ranger is to close to the F-series. They need to build a smaller truck like the Ranger was years ago. if you are in the market for a small truck now you either have to get the F-Series or go to Toyaka. Some will stay in the Ford Family and some will go to Toyota. if there happy with this move they may not come back for there next purchase.

·
Registered
30 Posts
unrelated, I think Ford has made a mistake on exiting the small pickup market in the U.S. I know that the current sized Ranger is to close to the F-series. They need to build a smaller truck like the Ranger was years ago. if you are in the market for a small truck now you either have to get the F-Series or go to Toyaka. Some will stay in the Ford Family and some will go to Toyota. if there happy with this move they may not come back for there next purchase.
The problem with the T-6 Ranger isn't the size because, despite the internet hype, it isn't anywhere near the size of the upcoming, slightly down-sized F-150 and, if compared to the current F-150, would look like the escape pod the F-150 passengers might use in case of emergency. To put this into perspective, an extended cab T6 Ranger is almost exactly the same size as an extended Cab Toyota Tacoma, in every dimension including length, width, and wheelbase...and a Taco is nowhere near the size of a F-150.

The real reasons the T6 Ranger gets no action on our shores are cost and fuel efficiency. Rumors strongly indicated that the T6 Ranger would cost as much to build as a comparably out-fitted Ford F-150 even if expectations allowed for sales in the 200,000 units per year and change range. Even more, if you equip the Ranger with an engine acceptable in the U.S. market fuel economy won't really be any better either. So, in the end, you end up with a smaller, less capable pickup that costs as much and uses as much fuel for your trouble as the larger F-150 does. The only benefit I can see is that the V-6 version, assuming the engine would be the same 3.7L found in the F-150, would be faster than the F-Series for obvious reasons...and the truck would be more maneuverable. Outside of that it's just smaller for the sake of smaller.

That said, I actually do agree that Ford needs to bring a proper compact back to the market, but I'm not entirely sure how they would do it outside of going for a very small and light BOF truck design or a reinforced, car-based unibody sort of like the old Jeep Comanche pickup, but based on an existing car design instead being a truck only effort like the Jeep was in the case of the latter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts