Ford Inside News banner

Just bought a Vintage 1941 Ford Pickup

17K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Barry Wolk 
#1 ·

Please don't edit any more of my posts.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Just bought a Vintage Ford

Thanks. There were two models of the pickup. The standard had one windshield wiper, one side view mirror and one tail light. This one is dolled-up to look like a DeLuxe.

#8 ·
Love the color!

looks awesome!

#9 ·
I've been asked to provide some text for the pictures.

I used to ride at a stables that had a '40 or '41 Ford coupe that was being transformed into a dragster. I vividly remember the waterfall grill, yet I knew nothing of the design. As I became more aware of style I found the '40 and '41 Continental grills to be the most beautiful of all. The "family face" of the era filtered down to the lowly pick-ups. The were certainly car-like but a totally different design. They had presence.

After collecting cars with the Continental name for awhile I found that remainder on my list were out of my reach. Those would be a '53 Cunningham C-3 Continental convertible or an S-1 Bentley Continental convertible. The rarest of the Continentals may no longer exist. In 1933 the Continental Motor Company produced two models of 2-seat convertibles, but there seem to be none extant.

This purchase came about because of my wife's offhand comment at a concours she had judged at that our collection could use a pick-up. That's all it took to send me off on a quest. I looked for two years and could not find one that hadn't been chopped, channeled, lowered or blowered.

There were two models available, a Standard and a DeLuxe. The DeLuxe had two tail lights, side mirrors and wipers, while the Standard had one of each. I believe it even had visors. This truck is dolled-up to look like a DeLuxe, as was the fashion of the day.

I fund it interesting that there is a lock cylinder only on the passenger side to encourage you to lock the driver's door from the inside, slide across the seat and lock the passenger door behind you. Interesting safety feature, considering the times.

As I do with all of my show quality cars, I plan on driving it everywhere. Unfortunately, it will only do 45mph, as that was the national speed limit when this was built.

#10 ·
does the speedometer go above 45?

#11 ·
The speedo goes to 100.

The plan is to install a set of 3.43:1 gears in the rear end and see what it will do. If that's not enough I plan on installing a Mitchell overdrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.