Ford Inside News banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Re: *L*incoln Design Controversy & ½apology to SP1966

Lincoln is in copy/paste mode right now so even when we see new products, they look like the old ones which is boring but not abnormal for the business. I'm sure they are trying to solidify a visual identity and they have to stay very close to a common fascia for at least 5 years.
*IF* that's what they're doing
THEY'RE WRONG

dunno if there's any good Lincoln-example BUT
I'm thinking of the FUSION
now: looks like they have NO Idea which way to go so doing NOTHING stylewise
actually killing the platform!​
when first 3 generations came out: most exciting midsizer on the planet

WORST part is slave-ish-ly xeroxing the grilles, #2 is their consistently style-Free TLs

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
We drove the 2 best American luxury cars money can buy — and the winner is clear

The race was close, but at the end of the day, the Cadillac CT6 is the winner for me.

The Cadillac's superb amalgamation of luxury and performance makes the CT6 a true standout in the luxury market.

Few cars, even at its lofty price point, can deliver on both. For this alone, the CT6 deserves to take top honors.

When it comes to luxury cars, every entrant in the segment is big and powerful with interiors covered in expensive leathers and wood harvested from the side of a cliff in a jungle you've never heard of.

So excellence here is a matter of the emotion and reaction the car is able to evoke.

When you see, feel, and experience a luxury car, there should be no question of how special and expensive it is.

That's where the Continental falls short for me.

While handsome, I found Lincoln's front fascia to be anonymous and forgettable. It's easily lost in a valet parking lot at a nice restaurant. Something that can't be said of the Cadillac.

The same goes for the interior.

When you climb behind the wheel of a luxury car, you want it to put on a show. You want it to feel special. The Continental simply couldn't deliver that feeling. The overall feel of the Lincoln cabin simply lacked a certain panache.

In addition, the CT6's athletic driving dynamics and its full complement of cabin tech really sealed the deal for me.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
A top end Continental stickers just over $78K, it's not clear if they are testing the 'starting price' version or not. Either way they have some overlapping audiences but the price gap is enormous between them. The Continental is really competing with two Caddy's, the XTS and CT6 but the fact that Continental is playing in the upper echelons despite it's lower price means more than loosing comparisons to those much more sophisticated and expensive vehicles.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
We drove the 2 best American luxury cars money can buy — and the winner is clear

The race was close, but at the end of the day, the Cadillac CT6 is the winner for me.

The Cadillac's superb amalgamation of luxury and performance makes the CT6 a true standout in the luxury market.

Few cars, even at its lofty price point, can deliver on both. For this alone, the CT6 deserves to take top honors.

When it comes to luxury cars, every entrant in the segment is big and powerful with interiors covered in expensive leathers and wood harvested from the side of a cliff in a jungle you've never heard of.

So excellence here is a matter of the emotion and reaction the car is able to evoke.

When you see, feel, and experience a luxury car, there should be no question of how special and expensive it is.

That's where the Continental falls short for me.

While handsome, I found Lincoln's front fascia to be anonymous and forgettable. It's easily lost in a valet parking lot at a nice restaurant. Something that can't be said of the Cadillac.

The same goes for the interior.

When you climb behind the wheel of a luxury car, you want it to put on a show. You want it to feel special. The Continental simply couldn't deliver that feeling. The overall feel of the Lincoln cabin simply lacked a certain panache.

In addition, the CT6's athletic driving dynamics and its full complement of cabin tech really sealed the deal for me.
The guy doesn’t know how to adjust the marvelous Continental’s front seats. Maybe the perfect car for this kind of man is a 30000$ Camry...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Re: *L*incoln Design Controversy & ½apology to SP1966

...WORST part is slave-ish-ly xeroxing the grilles**, #2 is their consistently style-Free TLs
** just found out that's called GDD: GermanDesignDisease
>:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
It seems to me that the whole shift to the conti grille is throwing away years of establishing a recognition factor. When the waterfall grille mutated to the winged grille there was still some carryover recognition. Driving through and around my community the Lincolns are are recognizable as being almost as populous as the Cadillacs.

As to the conti and the regrilled MKZ, well, either they simply aren't being driven around or they just aren't obvious. And I expect in a few years all the MKCs and MKXs I see daily will be replaced by more anonymous vehicles.

No, I didn't love the winged grille, but at least it wasn't ugly, and it was distinctive. The conti style grille is distinctive, but only from a couple feet away.

·
Registered
251 Posts
When you climb behind the wheel of a luxury car, you want it to put on a show.

If the reviewer had said I want to it to put on a show instead of you want it to put on a show, I would have no problem with this statement. Nothing ticks me off more that someone telling me what I want. Anyone who feels the need to "put on a show" is likely lacking in self confidence.

Having said that, I do think the Continental is too bland. However, making it grotesque like a CT6 would do it no favors. My idea of luxury car presence is the Aston Martin Rapide or Jag XJ.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
just-for-me, & just-a quick-not-awake-yet example:
Jag on the outside // Panamera on the inside

& unfortunately I've never had the chance to sit in an AstonMartin
plus the newest AM's are getting their outsides screwed-up
:crying2:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
It seems to me that the whole shift to the conti grille is throwing away years of establishing a recognition factor. When the waterfall grille mutated to the winged grille there was still some carryover recognition. Driving through and around my community the Lincolns are are recognizable as being almost as populous as the Cadillacs.

As to the conti and the regrilled MKZ, well, either they simply aren't being driven around or they just aren't obvious. And I expect in a few years all the MKCs and MKXs I see daily will be replaced by more anonymous vehicles.

No, I didn't love the winged grille, but at least it wasn't ugly, and it was distinctive. The conti style grille is distinctive, but only from a couple feet away.
there's a set of chops in Mission:Lincoln for a gradual change from vertical to horizontal slats
also
I 'always' wanted some options...One of which would've been a mesh >> imho the StarShadow pattern is brilliant!
just the overall grille opening shape needs some experimentation
:nerd:

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading this whole thread thus far here are my thoughts, my opinion of course. Disclaimers first, my daily driver is a 2015 Lincoln MKC. Prior to that drove a 2011 Audi A4 S-Line.

- I personally think that Lincoln is on the right track with new grille/design language.

- Quiet luxury is a fantastic theme to embrace because "millennials" just aren't into cars as much as the prior generations were and this translates into the fact that speed and horsepower is not the driving sales factor with them.The NASCAR boy racer era is over and the Germans already know it. Notice how BMW is softening up its design language (new 8 series coupe and grand coupe concepts). It a return to elegance. Cadillac and Lexus are behind the 8 ball in this respect. When i sat in the new Navigator at my local car show all I could say was "Wow, this is real luxury" It was an experience, just like what the millennials want, "experiences". I wasn't concerned if it can break a new record at Nürburgring.

-Lincoln's biggest obstacle is not their product ( I am way happier with my MKC than my previous Audi). Their problem is that Americans are extremely biased against american cars. Case in point, Lincoln's design language is so appealing it is even being copied by some German manufacturers (anyone notice how the latest Audi Q5 has grown hips and shoulders a la MKC/MKX) I certainly did!) What's that saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

-Lincoln has not been lucky with the new Continental (sales figures should be higher) because of the current consumer obsession with Crossovers/SUVs. Hopefully this trend will start to wane soon as the return to elegance starts to pick up speed. Sedans may rule the roost again.

-Black Label is a good marketing move.

Those are my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
^....refreshed MKC does look nice, except Lincoln should have upgraded the rear exhaust to an integrated unit like on MKX. And I also think SUVs are already on the decline as many who bought them are tired of driving a oversized vehicle with poor driving dynamics, where the EV will be the growth mechanism for sedans. Tesla is making that clear with consistent sales increases month after month, along with Model 3 sales/orders. The Jaguar I-Pace that is called a CUV is actually a sedan/hatch back. The lower to the ground the battery pack is, the more stable, the better the handling and safer it is.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
^....refreshed MKC does look nice, except Lincoln should have upgraded the rear exhaust to an integrated unit like on MKX. And I also think SUVs are already on the decline as many who bought them are tired of driving a oversized vehicle with poor driving dynamics, where the EV will be the growth mechanism for sedans. Tesla is making that clear with consistent sales increases month after month, along with Model 3 sales/orders. The Jaguar I-Pace that is called a CUV is actually a sedan/hatch back. The lower to the ground the battery pack is, the more stable, the better the handling and safer it is.
Really? Based on what info?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm sorry but this is complete fiction.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts