Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quote, "Seeing the entire car now, this is by far it's most attractive angle...

...The rest is an uninspired mish-mash aimed at Chinese tastes"

chery-picking some bulletpoints
• New five-link rear suspension and available HiPer Strut front suspension
• Available electronically controlled Continuous Damping Control active suspension with selectable Touring and Sport modes
• An available advanced, all-new dual-clutch all-wheel drive system
• Ten standard air bags - including two knee air bags for front passengers
• Standard high-intensity discharge headlamps, LED signature lighting and ED taillamps are standard
• Active grille shutters, which open and close automatically to control airflow, reducing aerodynamic drag and improving fuel efficiency.
• Capless fuel filler on all models.
Three fashion-inspired interior trim choices: Jet Black, Dark Atmosphere and Shale, and Jet Black and Brandy

NetCarShow has the full Press Release

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I am getting old...I am starting to like Buicks. This is so much nicer than the new Chinese Taurus. No wonder Ford is not confirming a release in the US.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Great from some angles, odd from others, and that odd rear fender crease, I don't know what's going on at GM. The Impala has an odd crease there too, to me when you have to add such things then the basic design isn't working well enough. I do like how they pulled the A-pillar aft, it doesn't look RWD, but at least it doesn't have that tradition stubby FWD nose.

For me the front and rear fascias look great, everything in between is pretty boring. I like the interior, don't love it, but it is well executed.

·
Registered
394 Posts

The rear quarter is inspired by the 1972 Ford Torino. Cool!

>:)
Actually I think Buick is inspired by its "sweep spears" of 1950's Buick designs. Perhaps the Torino was also inspired by those iconic buicks.

I like this new lacrosse. I'm sure it will continue to sell very well. I especially like the front end and the interior.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Early 20's person here. Not Chinese and pleased with this. I love it! It looks spectacular.

If Buick implemented that design language in the next Regal GS, Buick would have a huge winner on their hands. Ditch those ridiculous front vents, though, Buick!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Early 20's person here. Not Chinese and pleased with this. I love it! It looks spectacular.

If Buick implemented that design language in the next Regal GS, Buick would have a huge winner on their hands. Ditch those ridiculous front vents, though, Buick!

The LaX ld look fine on the Regal, but the rest is horrid. I love the lines of the Regal -- they are sleek and elegant.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The new Lacrosse is stunning in my opinion. I love it. The rear design is beautiful to my eyes very reminiscent of a couple of cars made by a beloved brand of mine.

The evolution of the waterfall grille looks very nice however I personally would prefer a fully chromed option though. Glad to see the Buick tri-shield red, white & blue again. The interior looks elegant and luxurious a huge improvement over the current car in my opinion.

It's very possible there may be another Lacrosse in my future.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

those aggressive "holes in the front bumper" are ONLY on their ST-equivalent

imho,
I just can't get past being reminded of their old (OLD) (esp the greenhouse)

PLUS imho the interior LOOKS cheap
unless the materials are a HUGE step up from the usual-Buick/non-Insignia Plastic(chrome)Fantastic
the average Ford-Titanium will (continue to) blow this away

Do NOT see Any of the concept except for a couple graphics - actually just the grille

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I can't stomach Buick design at all, it's bloated, molten, and garish..a wannabe luxury car without class or authenticity. Buick is the most elderly car made today, beating Lincoln by a mile.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Buick and Lincoln probably have similar customers like it or not, Lincoln is certainly a much better luxury marque although Buick is probably more successful overall in it's mid-tier luxury field than Lincoln is in it's upper-tier luxury segment. Buick is still very unique in the market as an affordable luxury marque but it's definitely not attractive to me as a true luxury car buyer. I see a Buick and a I think cheap and fake with the worst attributes of Detroit design. I think Lincoln continues to struggle with the perception that it's Buick-like luxury which is to say superficial and inexpensive so it's going to take awhile before all of this catches up and a new design helps a bit. I think GM is finding it difficult to juggle Buick, Caddy, and GMC, Buick is being tugged at all corners.

I wouldn't say Ford Titanium or Buick customers overlap in anyway. Ford customers are not specifically seeking a luxury car identity, Ford and Buick have polar opposite designs and dealership experiences. Ford is very clearly a non-luxury marque, at least to any luxury car customer, from design to dealerships.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I personally don't see Buick as a Ford competitor or Lincoln either really. However I do feel like Lincoln and Buick have a very similar buying demographic. But I honestly don't believe that many people cross shop Buick and Lincoln. Could be wrong though. I'll always see Buick as a Mercury type brand competitor. Also in my opinion there aren't too many cars or at least cars that I've driven that come close to matching the ride quality and quietness of a Buick.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
D-I-D - Y-O-U - K-N-O-W ? . . . < only way I got ALL CAPS

I admit I haven't really been paying attention...

2017 Buick LaCrosse First Look Review
MotorTrend

Frank Markus Words, Manufacturer Photos - November 18, 2015

...estimated) 305 hp and 268 lb-ft. It’s bolted to a paddle-shifted eight-speed automatic, and front-drive is standard, but top-trim models can specify a new twin-clutch all-wheel-drive system co-developed with GKN. The clutches independently engage the rear wheels individually on a predictive basis, with sensors monitoring the driver’s every twitch of the steering wheel, gas, and brake pedal. It also enables a sort of passive torque vectoring by releasing the clutch of an inboard wheel when accelerating out of a turn. (We prefer this approach to squeezing an inboard brake.) The system is shared with the XT5 and uses a GKN Twinster rear axle unit similar to those found on Land Rover’s Evoque and Ford’s Focus RS.

2017 Buick LaCrosse
Definitely less lame—perhaps even lovely.

Car&Driver

By RUSTY BLACKWELL - Nov 2015

... they’ve made efforts to produce a car that has decent handling characteristics, too. To that end, the front-wheel-drive LaCrosse with 20-inch wheels (18s are standard) has GM’s HiPer Strut front suspension with Continuous Damping Control that can adjust the dampers every two milliseconds. All-wheel-drive models don’t get the HiPer Strut setup or the big wheels, but they do get the same twin-clutch AWD system that’s installed in the supersporty Ford Focus RS.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Platinum trimmed Ford's directly compete with most Buick equivalents, and in fact beyond with some segments (truck, large SUV, etc.), which in turn competes with GMC.
Like it or not.
Saying a Ford competes with a Buick is like saying a Lincoln competes with a BMW based on generalizations. You can find ways in which they compare but the customers don't cross shop them.

Ford has very few luxury oriented products, the F-150 and the Explorer Platinum are the few exceptions. Lincoln customers however overlap with Buick and Caddy, probably more than other brands like BMW or Mercedes. Chevy is starting to trample on Buick as the Chevy brand moves up market in both content and design and essentially finds parity with Ford's upmarket push in the past 10 years. Not sure how you justify Buick with a stronger and wider Chevy and Caddy portfolio. But anyway, for now it's means GM sells allot more luxury products than any other Detroit maker which is effectively the key to the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts