Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do some manufacturers like Ford omit the engine temp gauge on B-segment cars and just put a warning light instead?
Is an engine temp gauge that expensive?

Ford Fiesta

Some competitors with engine temp gauge
Kia Rio

Hyundai i20 (Europe, India etc)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ dunno AM222

but
think you've brought up much bigger issues :thumb::
- GM's 50¢ ignition lock fiasco
- mainstream switches & stuff in Cadillacs ($5 doorhandles) & Lincolns
- which features get included in various trims
- why HAVE trims?

I'd love to know just how much is saved by not having most things (other an engines) standard!!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ dunno AM222

but
think you've brought up much bigger issues :thumb::
Yes, but I guess i'll post them one at a time. Last time it was about interior space/rear legroom in relation to the car's size, now its the temp gauge. :D

I just happened to be comparing other B-segment cars to the Fiesta and realized that some of them actually include an engine temp gauge.
Then I came across these two smaller A-segment (Chevy Spark-size) city cars and they had them too.
One was the new Opel Karl/Vauxhall Viva...

...the other is the Hyundai i10

I do hope Ford puts one on the next gen Fiesta, even if it's just a digital display.

·
Registered
436 Posts
^ Absolutely agree.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ & exterior temp?

I really want to see mfgs provide a uniform level of 'stuff' regardless of size-segment...
True, well it looks like Ford was able to squeeze in a temp gauge (tight fit) on the Fiesta's gauge cluster so that's good.
I do wonder if the digital temp gauge only appears on a certain setting, I've seen other photos show a 2014 Fiesta Titanium gauge cluster and it doesn't show a temp gauge.

Maybe for the next gen model they can enlarge it along with the screen between the Tachometer and Speedometer.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, one less thing to break I guess. I actually hadn't realized how crude the dash on the Fiesta is compared to the competition.
The previous gen Fiesta from a decade ago had a decent interior design (for its time).

The gauge cluster almost looks identical to the one on the Euro Focus Mk2.

Exterior

1 - 11 of 11 Posts