Ford Inside News banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chevrolet Camaro production begins February 2009

432 more days to wait. That's how long anyone pining for a Camaro has to wait for GM to start building them, reliable supplier sources have told Leftlane. Circle Monday, February 16, 2009 on your calendar as the date the new 2010 Camaros will start heading down the production line at the Oshawa plant in Ontario.

In actuality, this means it will more than likely be mid-March before you'll be able to put your hands on one at a dealership. That puts Camaro availability about a year behind that of its nearest rival, the Dodge Challenger.

A few GM higher ups have stated that the General will start making Camaros in late 2008. That's true, but, a little misleading. Salable, pilot build, Camaros will be the cars rolling down the line in late 2008. This run of cars will be given to engineers, execs and managers to drive for some fast feedback on any last minute changes that might need to be made to the car or the production process. This production run will not be available to the general public to buy.

For those seeking a convertible Camaro, you'll have to wait until Monday, December 7, 2009 — a little bit late for the 2009 convertible season in northern climates. Look for them to start showing up at dealers in late December or early January depending on where you are in the United States.

for more CLICK HERE.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wont the refreshed Mustang be out by this time? All of the excitement surrounding the Camaro will be pretty much gone by the time it actually hits the streets.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chevrolet may facelift the concept before the real thing goes into production . . . :p :p

·
Registered
120 Posts
Chevrolet may facelift the concept before the real thing goes into production . . . :p :p
Great. Now I'll have to re-buy all of my son's Bumblebee Trans Formers so he can have the new look. :(

Seriously, what is taking them so long? Last I heard the base V8 model was going to MSRP over $30k which is crazy in that market. My '06 Mustang GT barely cost that much all but loaded with options. Are they using the extra time to cut costs or something maybe?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
We all know the Camaro will be hot when it comes. Have you seen it? Its impressive. the Mastung is not soo hot. Unless they rework it good for 2009, it will not compete.
I hope it looks close to concept when it comes.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We all know the Camaro will be hot when it comes. Have you seen it? Its impressive. the Mastung is not soo hot. Unless they rework it good for 2009, it will not compete.
I hope it looks close to concept when it comes.
I don't know that. I haven't seen the car, neither have you.

I have seen the concept to death, in auto shows, trade shows, in the movies, with a fixed hard top, convertible, in blue, orange and yellow.
The Mustang is much, much hotter for one simple reason, it is making Ford money. Ford had the Mustang on the streets a year after the concepts were shown and the convertible the following summer. Are you aware that by the summer of 2009 there will be a redesigned Mustang out there?

I guess that when Bob Lutz announced that GM would be giving the Zeta cars some time out he really did it. This is by far the longest concept to reality wait I have ever experienced.

·
Registered
120 Posts
the Mastung is not soo hot. Unless they rework it good for 2009, it will not compete.
That's a pretty bold statement considering the last gen Mustang was a good ways behind the Camaro in performance. Yet only one remains and you know which one that is.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This is a disappointment, but I don't think it's "news". I thought this was common knowledge. 3 years after the concept is a long time in this day and age when most automakers show models called "concepts" when in fact they are mostly finished production designs with splashier facias, wheels and interiors.

QUOTE: SOBESVTI guess that when Bob Lutz announced that GM would be giving the Zeta cars some time out he really did it. This is by far the longest concept to reality wait I have ever experienced.

Which reminds me, the MKS will be about 2 1/2 years from "concept" to production. Most of its sheetmetal and foundations were finished in late 2005, being shown in January 2006. I suspect it would have been on the market sooner if the "concept" hadn't had such a luke-warm reception and emergency plastic-surgery had to be performed.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which reminds me, the MKS will be about 2 1/2 years from "concept" to production. Most of its sheetmetal and foundations were finished in late 2005, being shown in January 2006. I suspect it would have been on the market sooner if the "concept" hadn't had such a luke-warm reception and emergency plastic-surgery had to be performed.
The MKS and the Camaro were introduced in the same Auto Show, NAIAS 2006. The MKS had a lukewarm reception and would certainly had been in the market earlier if Lincoln hadn't have to do the "emergency plastic surgery". However, the MKS is being pre produced in this very moment and will arrive to showrooms next summer. The Camaro was enthusiastically received and wont even star preproduction until 13 more months and will hit showrooms a whole year after the MKS, the convertible a whole 6 months after that . . . in the beginning of the 2009 winter. Your point? -other than bringing up an existing Lincoln in a fantasy Camaro thread.-

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
If that is true (I have no reason to believe it, nor any reason not to believe it), GM needs smacked. That is totally unacceptable. Why it is taking them FOREVER is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Actually, the Camaro was shown purely as a concept. There were no plans for production in January of 2006. It was the overwhelming public response to the car that got the ball rolling.

Another example is the Cadillac XLR. It began life as the Evoq in January of 1999. No production plans existed, it was simply a design excersise to show the public the new styling direction for Cadillac. But it was such a success they decided to build it. Since the Corvette was getting a new design for 2004, the XLR came out at about that time. Late 2003.(And I dearly pray that the Camaro sells better than the XLR)

As I wrote in my previous post, many automakers show as concepts what are actually thinly disguised production prototypes. And 3 years is about the usual amount of time it can take to bring an idea to production. Remember there wasn't even a finished platform to build it on at the time. "Zeta" was still up in the air.

All that being said, I wish the Camaro was going on sale next week.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Actually, the Camaro was shown purely as a concept. There were no plans for production in January of 2006. It was the overwhelming public response to the car that got the ball rolling.

Another example is the Cadillac XLR. It began life as the Evoq in January of 1999. No production plans existed, it was simply a design excersise to show the public the new styling direction for Cadillac. But it was such a success they decided to build it. Since the Corvette was getting a new design for 2004, the XLR came out at about that time. Late 2003.(And I dearly pray that the Camaro sells better than the XLR)

As I wrote in my previous post, many automakers show as concepts what are actually thinly disguised production prototypes. And 3 years is about the usual amount of time it can take to bring an idea to production. Remember there wasn't even a finished platform to build it on at the time. "Zeta" was still up in the air.

All that being said, I wish the Camaro was going on sale next week.

Zeta existed long before the Camaro Concept was even shown. Zeta underpins the Holden Commodore in Australia, so it was in the works far far before the concept was shown.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
....not in the US. The American application was not at all certain at the time.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still, saying that the Camaro "concept"'s faith was uncertain during the autoshow is debatible to say the least, unless you are prone to believe corporate mumbo jumbo (which I suspect you are not, any way I will remember this episode autumn next year when the MKS is having its best sales ever). The Camaro concept was shown in the middle of the Mustang craze and as a result of it, if GM wasn't ready to get the car to production, even when they had a suitable platform in Australia, they have no one to blame but themselves, and like nsap said, its "totally unacceptable".

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
The US application did not need to be certain for them to have a very sizable jump start on the Camaro development. The Zeta platform is a global platform, there are very minimal differences of it between applications.

I don't care what their excuse is. The Solstice went from concept to production in much quicker time than this thing has, and they had to engineer the production platform for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts