Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lexus RX replacement to debut in Detroit?

The 2015 Detroit Auto Show is shaping up to be a big one for Lexus, with Group Vice President Jeff Bracken confirming to Ward's Auto that the Japanese luxury marque will have at least one, and possibly two, all-new-model introductions.

Ward's seems to think that one of those vehicles will be the new RX crossover, one of the brand's most popular (and oldest) offerings. The complete and utter lack of spy photos of the new RX doesn't necessarily support Ward's argument, although if the new CUV ends up being based on the JDM Toyota Harrier, as previously reported, the absence of camouflaged images might make some sense.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/26/lexus-rx-replacement-detroit-report/

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
They might show a concept, I think the RX is about a year behind the lifecycle of the MKX (current gen debuted in 2008, updated in 2012).

An MKX debut in the same month (actually same week) the Edge goes into production doesn't give me much confidence in any sort of Spring production date, but I imagine it's still quite possible since the Japanese do it all the time. Ford & Lincoln historically announce major new products 6-12 months before they go on sale so that would usually put 2016 MKX alongside the 2016 (remember it's debuting as a 2015) Edge production sometime in the fall.

I'm anxious to see how much lag time we will see with the MKX since 2015 orders stopped end of August so they will end production with the Edge in two weeks (as assumed). There could be a period in which there is nothing, but I assume customers will be able to order the 2016 MKX by the time the remainders dry up. And then there is the MKC to absorb some of those customers and I'm sure there will be generous incentives to returning MKX leasees to tide them over (this happened with MKZ customers last time).

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
My guess is the new RX will look like a giant NX. Which should help the new 2016 sleek and sexy MKX quite a bit.

RX sales are at 84k YTD as of Oct. Just 8k more than total Lincoln sales YTD.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is the new RX will look like a giant NX. Which should help the new 2016 sleek and sexy MKX quite a bit.

RX sales are at 84k YTD as of Oct. Just 8k more than total Lincoln sales YTD.
damn, I would love to see Lincoln moving 84k MKX :(
It is incredible how good the RX sales are

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^ RX was the only option for many years. Rolling Camry customers over to Lexus RX customers, since there is no Toyota brand equivalent to the RX.

The New Lincoln Motor Company, with the higher level of personal service and nicer dealerships, has a better chance of conquest sales from RX along with holding on to Ford Fusion/MKZ upgrade sales to the new MKX.

Consumers will see the stark difference between the avant-garde, alien/predator design theme of the Lexus models, compared with the elegant, understated, technologically advanced luxury of the Lincoln models. Especially with Black Label design and service level.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Lincoln is a more appealing Lexus alternative, just look at MKZ vs ES. But Lexus, like other luxury car manufacturers are loosing younger customers to the Germans which is leading to a major overhaul of their products which may or may not backfire. Lincoln is standing in their wake and sticking with a more conservative luxury message which should absorb alienated customers, although I fear Lincoln is continuing to age itself out of the market in the US. It's clear they are sticking to their core customer which may be just as dangerous as Lexus trying to up-end their image.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^I see what you mean. But I think Lincoln is preparing for the backfire from overly aggressive luxury/sport cars from the Germans, by offering elegant, stylish vehicles with the highest level of personal service. Essentially bringing the luxury back to luxury automobile ownership. Where the Germans have gone more hard performance/sport with luxury.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Lincoln is a more appealing Lexus alternative, just look at MKZ vs ES. But Lexus, like other luxury car manufacturers are loosing younger customers to the Germans which is leading to a major overhaul of their products which may or may not backfire. Lincoln is standing in their wake and sticking with a more conservative luxury message which should absorb alienated customers, although I fear Lincoln is continuing to age itself out of the market in the US. It's clear they are sticking to their core customer which may be just as dangerous as Lexus trying to up-end their image.
"conservative" is a loaded term for me since it's frequently used for reactionary extremism

I agree with Bloggin - my take is Lincoln's style demonstrates Good Taste
which will age very little/slowly
tho
I'll refrain from customer predictions...since so many have NO taste imho

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
^ RX was the only option for many years. Rolling Camry customers over to Lexus RX customers, since there is no Toyota brand equivalent to the RX.

The New Lincoln Motor Company, with the higher level of personal service and nicer dealerships, has a better chance of conquest sales from RX along with holding on to Ford Fusion/MKZ upgrade sales to the new MKX.

Consumers will see the stark difference between the avant-garde, alien/predator design theme of the Lexus models, compared with the elegant, understated, technologically advanced luxury of the Lincoln models. Especially with Black Label design and service level.
The Toyota Venza is kind of like an RX.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
^I see what you mean. But I think Lincoln is preparing for the backfire from overly aggressive luxury/sport cars from the Germans, by offering elegant, stylish vehicles with the highest level of personal service. Essentially bringing the luxury back to luxury automobile ownership. Where the Germans have gone more hard performance/sport with luxury.
And in that context, Lincoln might be in the right place at the right time. The only thing that I think stands out about the enhanced Black-Label dealership experience is the at-home concierge service which is something I particularly value since my Lincoln dealers are farther away than any other major luxury maker at my disposal. I'm sitting on a variety of minor problems with my MKX because I don't want to take a huge chunk out of my day to commute and wait for those repairs so I try to hold them for my oil change or I'll take them to a closer Ford dealership. But in the end, you have to pay a pretty big premium for very little content to get a better than average luxury dealership experience so I'm not quite convinced in that experience just yet (it's also unlikely to be available on the next MKX at launch anyway, ha).

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Borg,
I'm prorbaly gonna copy
...The only thing that I think stands out about the enhanced Black-Label dealership experience is the at-home concierge service which is something I particularly value since my Lincoln dealers are farther away than any other major luxury maker at my disposal...
...I don't want to take a huge chunk out of my day to commute and wait for...repairs so I try to hold them for my oil change or I'll take them to a closer Ford dealership. But in the end, you have to pay a pretty big premium for very little content to get a better than average luxury dealership experience so I'm not quite convinced in that experience just yet (it's also unlikely to be available on the next MKX at launch anyway, ha).
to a [BL] thread .... sometime :nevreness:

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Lincoln has what I would consider the best luxury brand display at NAIAS. Pretty sure we will see the production MKX revealed there. And with the MKC, BL and Navigator, it will be a good showing. And since they often show a concept at NAIAS, perhaps we will also the MKS.

Perhaps caddy would want to hold a separate event. Ha.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lincoln has what I would consider the best luxury brand display at NAIAS. Pretty sure we will see the production MKX revealed there. And with the MKC, BL and Navigator, it will be a good showing. And since they often show a concept at NAIAS, perhaps we will also the MKS.

hope so but won't be that smart to show both vehicles at one event, they should separate both debuts so they get attention of the media

·
Registered
401 Posts
wingsnut said:
And since they often show a concept at NAIAS, perhaps we will also the MKS.

Man, I can't wait. The current MKS hasn't aged very well.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Man, I can't wait. The current MKS hasn't aged very well.
Me too. Current MKS has what I call a butta-face. Decent looking curves and body overall, but that face, ugh.

new MKS luckily looks very good. Front styling is nothing like MKZ or any Lincoln currently, just conventional styling and handsome and a bit Jag-esque. Not a bad thing at all, overall. Coupled with new larger nano engine and transmissions, should do far better in sales.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts