Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 175 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Currently the heavyweight Navigator offers 380hp and 460lb-ft torque from a V6 that large suv consumers love. It offers more smooth, useable power than the competition 'standard' engines and good fuel economy. With the next gen aluminum body to drop close to 1,000 lbs. That same engine will have the New Navigator flying. But certainly, Lincoln needs to offer a 'T' version of a version of that engine. Lincoln is Quiet Luxury with all the power you could need. The Lincoln customer should not even need to know what engine is there, just that it's quiet and offers all the power they ever needed when they needed it.

Thinking of the New Navigator, I am sure Lincoln payed attention to what the new Escalade missed in design, and will pick that up and run with it. Navigator already has more third row space and comfort, which should get even more luxurious with the new model. The big suvs make great executive vehicles in China. This is where Lincoln can really shine, with appointments above Continental, since the Navigator would be a 'sibling' of sorts of the new large Lincoln that's coming.

I also home that Navigator eliminates the body color seperation bar between rear door and back side window, and gives it a cleaner look.

While borrowing some of the curves from the MKX

·
Registered
5 Posts
The cadillac escalade is body on frame like a suburban along with Mercedes G Class truck. All others are unit-body.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think only the Slade, QX80, and LX570 are the ones likely to be cross shopped with the Navigator, maybe the Yukon Denali as well. I think 450hp and 450-500 ft. lbs would be perfect. Pretty sure this is possible with the 3.5, but as previously stated there is a demographic out there that thinks of a V6 as lower end compared to a V8, regardless of power. Power aside Lincoln really needs to nail the interior and exterior design, and interior materials need to be at least comparable to the Slade. If Lincoln can even come close to this while putting a good marketing campaign behind it, I feel it will do well.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
3.0L at about 380hp and 420ftlbs makes for a stout yet efficient base engine for Navi.
3.5L at about 450hp and 500ftlbs is a stout upgrade, yet also still efficient.
This is what makes the most sense, IMO. Offering a less efficient V8 simply for cylinder count aficionados…..adds cost and complexity to the entire process. And where would you put it exactly? Alongside the more advanced 3.0L, with similar power and less efficiency? Hardly worth all the negatives. No, they are moving forward on advancing GTDI, and an NA engine will hardly be missed in a ultra smooth, quiet, powerful luxury SUV. Especially when compared against the competition.

And as mentioned, 10 speeds and a massive reduction in weight is the real story, not just 50hp here or there.

·
Registered
528 Posts
One thing I am hoping for is for Ford to show some serious tech on the Navigator. The Conti was nice, but a bit plebian on the tech front. The infotainment is pedestrian, the automation tech is lacking, etc etc.

I am seriously hoping the Navi, as the OTHER Flagship brings out a new metaphor for the Lincoln dash -- new infotainment, and new interaction design. It's time.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I feel like we've been talking about these new transmission for years!

I expected one of them on the MKX, then I just knew it would come on the Continental but that didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
3.0L at about 380hp and 420ftlbs makes for a stout yet efficient base engine for Navi.
3.5L at about 450hp and 500ftlbs is a stout upgrade, yet also still efficient.
This is what makes the most sense, IMO. Offering a less efficient V8 simply for cylinder count aficionados…..adds cost and complexity to the entire process. And where would you put it exactly? Alongside the more advanced 3.0L, with similar power and less efficiency? Hardly worth all the negatives. No, they are moving forward on advancing GTDI, and an NA engine will hardly be missed in a ultra smooth, quiet, powerful luxury SUV. Especially when compared against the competition.

And as mentioned, 10 speeds and a massive reduction in weight is the real story, not just 50hp here or there.
I'm actually hoping for 4.0T, I personally believe there will be an Ecoboost V8 and 4.0 is the perfect size.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
If you are waiting for a newly developed 4.0L V8 that takes up a large package space and weight, with immense development costs and would only be available in a low volume Navigator…then you might be waiting for some time. A boosted 5.0L makes much more sense. If Lincoln felt that having more than 500ftlbs is a dire necessity to propel the brand, they could at least upsize the V6 to 3.7L. That would scale to about 530ftlbs. Who knows what the future will bring, but in the short term, the 3.5L will be a powertrain of choice, from 600hp sports cars to the Raptor. Should be more than adequate for a luxury SUV.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not totally sure what you're getting at here. Ford has made performance a key aspect of their brand thus halo performance cars do benefit the whole, to what extent I don't know.

If you're at all suggesting using Voodoo in a Lincoln I must say **** NO! Voodoo is raw, Voodoo is powerful, Voodoo is fun, Voodoo is not refined enough for luxury car use.
Ford has said the Voodoo will not go in any other vehicle.

One of the huge trickle downs from the halo GT is going to be in light-weighting. The use of CF all the way down to Fusions etc will help get us to 2025 CAFE. The economies of scale of CF will bring the price to the mass market before long. $15k for a set of GT350R wheels right now will be $4k before 2025. Kinda like the 1GB hard drive the guy who got my brother into computers before the x86 came out. He paid just over $1000 for a 1GB hard drive. That's when a 40mb was a standard hd. I've got a 64GB thumb drive that cost $18 shipped.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone about the usage of a boosted V6 or using a V8 but I will say that boosted or not, a V6 will never bring the same prestige as a V8 especially in a luxury vehicle. No matter if the V6 has 830 lbs tq, a V8 is still a V8.

I do agree that ford needs to bring to market a smaller V8 round 4 liters to replace the coyote whether it's boosted or not doesn't matter as long as it puts out more power than the 5.0 (which can be done with all the improved tech)

I get the fact that cafe is looming but Lincoln if to be taken seriously as a Lux maker has to offer a V8 in one of it vehicles

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Lincoln customer should not even need to know what engine is there, just that it's quiet and offers all the power they ever needed when they needed it.

Thinking of the New Navigator, I am sure Lincoln payed attention to what the new Escalade missed in design, and will pick that up and run with it. Navigator already has more third row space and comfort, which should get even more luxurious with the new model. The big suvs make great executive vehicles in China.

I also home that Navigator eliminates the body color seperation bar between rear door and back side window, and gives it a cleaner look.
I agree. Other than a select few (who were looking at Mustangs), I have never had a woman ask about power or even care to see under the hood. Performance numbers on a Gator would attract my brother who has considered a Grand Cherokee SRT8. IME, the daily driver of the avg Gator is female.

And yes to the D pillar going away :D

but as previously stated there is a demographic out there that thinks of a V6 as lower end compared to a V8, regardless of power.
Again, where the trickle down from halo cars comes into play: this engine powers the Raptor, an ass-hauling desert racer, it will certainly haul the kids to soccer. "They put X in the high dollar toys, why not in my high dollar daily?" Boom. Done.

I feel like we've been talking about these new transmission for years!

I expected one of them on the MKX, then I just knew it would come on the Continental but that didn't happen.
Ford has said for more than a year the 17 F-150 gets it first.

but in the short term, the 3.5L will be a powertrain of choice, from 600hp sports cars to the Raptor. Should be more than adequate for a luxury SUV.
We think alike >:)

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
A 4.0L V8 would be darn near the same size as a 5.0L. I think people envision this small, tidy little 4Lengine, but it would still be DOHC and it would be very close in size to the current 5.0L. And it would be a joke in terms of comparative power, unless you throw GTDI at it. And now you have an engine that is much larger and heavier and costlier than a 5.0L, and marginally more powerful than a 3.5L. And where exactly would you use it? Not Mustang. Not truck. Maybe a Lincoln vehicle or two.

Justifying the 5 years of development time and cost, for the very, very few people who are obsessed with cylinder count – would be a tough sell for a corporation that has to first and foremost consider profitability. I also think that the tide is quickly turning, if not complete already, as to the acceptance of boosting over cylinder count. Heck, if they can sway truck owners, I am pretty sure they can sway luxury soccer moms.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ok if you're all done pissing on my parade about a 4.0T, I'm still going to say we will see one, maybe even in the Mustang. The Coyote isnt going to last forever and with looming CAFE standards the NA motor is dying, hence why BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Cadillac either have or or coming out with smaller turbo V8s.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone about the usage of a boosted V6 or using a V8 but I will say that boosted or not, a V6 will never bring the same prestige as a V8 especially in a luxury vehicle. No matter if the V6 has 830 lbs tq, a V8 is still a V8.

I do agree that ford needs to bring to market a smaller V8 round 4 liters to replace the coyote whether it's boosted or not doesn't matter as long as it puts out more power than the 5.0 (which can be done with all the improved tech)

I get the fact that cafe is looming but Lincoln if to be taken seriously as a Lux maker has to offer a V8 in one of it vehicles
V8 engines will be almost extinct in a few years. Only some trucks, performance cars and luxury cars will have one. And about that luxury cars , ask Volvo about the lack of a V8 and a V6 in their line up...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Only some trucks, performance cars and luxury cars will have one.
Is this not how it is now?

Only exceptions I can think of are Tahoe/Suburban and Charger/300C Hemi. I guess Armada and Sequioa, but they already sell in such low numbers that I don't even count them.

The V8 will always exist as it does now. In some trucks, performance cars, and luxury cars.

41 - 60 of 175 Posts