Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lincoln, AIA Explore Similarities Between Luxury Auto Design and High-end Architecture

•Designers of luxury automobiles and architects of upscale buildings both need to create appealing, intimate and exclusive experiences for high-end clients in a functional environment
•Sophisticated, elegant design that is comfortable and efficient drives the creative process for both disciplines
•Each maximizes space while achieving a perfect balance of color and light complemented by rich materials to stimulate the senses

The goal of luxury automobile designers is to create a sense of occasion each time the highly discerning driver gets behind the wheel.

Architects of high-end buildings are challenged to achieve the same goal. Each discipline incorporates proportion, volume, sculpture, form, materials, graphics and space to provide unique luxury experiences that touch all the senses.

The similarities between these two worlds of design will be the subject of “Designing Luxury,” a panel discussion at the Miami Center for Architecture & Design.

“With any product or experience, the world of luxury design follows basic, yet vital, tenets,” said David Woodhouse, director of Lincoln design and a panelist. “Both luxury automobile designers and designers of high-end buildings need their creations to meet all the necessary functional requirements, but elevate the execution in a way that speaks to people’s aspirations, taps into their dreams and helps them stand apart from the crowd.”

Joining Woodhouse on the panel are two members of the American Institute of Architects: Rene Gonzalez, principal of Rene Gonzalez Architect, and Bernard Zyscovich, managing partner of Zyscovich Inc.

Moderating the dialogue is Javier F. Salman, senior project architect, Stantec, and also a member of AIA.

“I’m excited to learn about something I’m passionate about – automotive design – in a close and personal way and learn how it compares and contrasts to my particular brand of design,” said Salman, who owns a 1971 Lincoln Mark III.

https://media.lincoln.com/content/l...ilarities-between-luxury-auto-design-and.html

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
if my puter co-operates (ie operates at all), I'll need to crossreference this thread with the TRUE Meaning of LUXURY thread...

Last night I watched the latest episode of PBS's superSkyscraper series. This time about the creating of THE über-Lux high(est)rise in NYC, called "157", centered-if-you-please on the north side of Central Park ... furnished with an absurd amount of Carrera marble including $ix-digit bathtub$!
(the penthouse sold for $90-MILLION)

It really 'brought home' to me that real-TIER-One automobiles, into the $500k's, can be an INSIGNIFICANT purcha$e to some people...
(revising my frequent saying about more-money-than-Taste-or-Sense,
imho it's humanly IMpossible for anyone to have THAT much of either!)
...and I have NO desire for Lincoln to EVER participate in that kind of conspicuous consumption.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I love the combination of traditional and modern when it comes to architecture.

Here's some of Robert A.M. Stern's luxury residential projects:

15 Central Park West

30 Park Place (under construction)

220 Central Park South (revealed last month)

The Century - Los Angeles

House in California

This residential project in Miami Beach (Faena House) is inspired by Miami Beach's gorgeous Art Deco hotels but is expressed in a modern fashion. It's designed by Norman Foster.

Here's a modern Art Deco office building in Mobile, Alabama.

This is on the traditional side.

Ralph Lauren store in Greenwich, CT. Designed by Halper Owens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love the combination of traditional and modern when it comes to architecture.

Here's some of Robert A.M. Stern's luxury residential projects:

15 Central Park West

30 Park Place (under construction)

220 Central Park South (revealed last month)

The Century - Los Angeles

House in California

This residential project in Miami Beach (Faena House) is inspired by Miami Beach's gorgeous Art Deco hotels but is expressed in a modern fashion. It's designed by Norman Foster.

Here's a modern Art Deco office building in Mobile, Alabama.

This is on the traditional side.

Ralph Lauren store in Greenwich, CT. Designed by Halper Owens.
NRuggiero, that's the world I lived in and came from. Built, HongKong International Airport, Taipei 101, 2QIC Tower in Hong Kong, Palm Jumeirah in Dubai, Flame Tower in Baku, Nation Tower in Abu Dhabi.....
Checkout the Skyline in Abu Dhabi Corniche and Dubai Sheik Zayed Road...You'll be amazed with the lux buildings.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I almost studied Architecture in college. I have always been awed by such structures. FLW was my hero.

Alas, I chose a career that focuses on ICE's.

why oh why
Who do you think is the new FLW? Most people think Frank Gehry is, and I just laugh. He has a scrap metal fetish. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts