1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 13385
Automotive News
March 31, 2015 - 4:30 pm ET

A row between Bentley and Lincoln’s design chiefs erupted late Monday after Ford Motor Co. showed the 2016 Lincoln Continental Concept ahead of the New York auto show.

Car Design News reported that Bentley’s chief designer, Luc Donckerwolke, took to social media to criticize Lincoln for the design of the new Continental, which from the side view seems to share some similarities with the Bentley Flying Spur, especially around the side windows. Read More...http://www.autonews.com/article/20150331/OEM03/150339944/did-lincoln-continental-rip-off-bentley-design-chiefs-clash-online?cciid=email-autonews-daily

Attachments

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Somebody just brought this up over at GMI, Bentley probably shouldn't be getting to uptight over borrowing given their 10 speed 6 concept.

I had seen this before but honestly thought it was a crappy photochop job putting the Bentley nose on an Aston!! More than a bit hypocritical I would say as the images above have far more in common with the Aston than the Continental does with the Flying Spur!!

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Somebody just brought this up over at GMI, Bentley probably shouldn't be getting to uptight over borrowing given their 10 speed 6 concept.

I had seen this before but honestly thought it was a crappy photochop job putting the Bentley nose on an Aston!! More than a bit hypocritical I would say as the images above have far more in common with the Aston than the Continental does with the Flying Spur!!
Exactly....and who owned Aston Martin when that design was created......FORD!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I must agree with Bentley on this; the Continental looks much like their product. Unless someone can convince me that Lincoln have taken cues and designs from it's own heritage.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I must agree with Bentley on this; the Continental looks much like their product. Unless someone can convince me that Lincoln have taken cues and designs from it's own heritage.
That is not the point here.. the point is that all these large sedans look alike:

Neither of those are Bentleys.

Further, there is a reason why many of the proportions of the two Continentals look alike: they are both full-size sedans built on FWD platforms going after the conservative "I get driven around" market (especially china) so they throw in a lot of the same clues to the 40s. The downward sloping trunk, the kcik-up in the beltline. ****, look at the Avenrir (bottom photo), or the Chrysler 300 and you see the very same clues.

The Conti concept is far from original or daring, but it is not a copy cat.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
What are the chances the production version would get an MKZ-like rear quarter window on the C-pillar? That would kill the Lincoln Continental-Bentley Flying Spur connection.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I agree with Igor ( I.O.U. a :thumb:[Thank] ...^other guys too!!)
tho
I just chalk this up to "zeitgeist"

Falc'man said:
I must agree with Bentley on this; the Continental looks much like their product. Unless someone can convince me that Lincoln have taken cues and designs from it's own heritage
What are the chances the production version would get an MKZ-like rear quarter window on the C-pillar? That would kill the Lincoln Continental-Bentley Flying Spur connection.
I'd doubt a change like that
but
I was wondering if, in altering the final production design for the '''concept/showcar''', if FLincMoCo just took an easy-out and deliberately made/let some aspects veer towards Bentley?
&
Falc'man,
I definitely see 'echoes' of the Continental MkII - mainly in the body-forms and the straight-rear shot
tho the overall grille treatment has some too - tho with a different insert (the 'GreatWall' pattern as I call it)
AND a bit of the Kennedy Conti in the DLO's near symmetrical doorglass (minus front ventwindow)
(which ALSO has major roots in the MkII)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I agree with Igor ( I.O.U. a :thumb:[Thank] ...^other guys too!!)
tho
I just chalk this up to "zeitgeist"

I'd doubt a change like that
but
I was wondering if, in altering the final production design for the '''concept/showcar''', if FLincMoCo just took an easy-out and deliberately made/let some aspects veer towards Bentley?
&
Falc'man,
I definitely see 'echoes' of the Continental MkII - mainly in the body-forms and the straight-rear shot
tho the overall grille treatment has some too - tho with a different insert (the 'GreatWall' pattern as I call it)
AND a bit of the Kennedy Conti in the DLO's near symmetrical doorglass (minus front ventwindow)
(which ALSO has major roots in the MkII)
Any design connection with the Continental MKII vanishes once you start adapting the design to a droopy tailed FWD-based design with a short hood.

The Continental was a classic long-hood design that was not bound by a lesser Ford's architecture.

The 60's Continental is something that can't be matched, simple straight lines, but the proportions were just perfect.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hmmm ... starting to think I'm the only one that saw the recent (Chrysler) Imperial concept in the new Lincoln Continental design....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"The curves around midnight aren't easy to see" __ Rosanne Cash __ 'Runaway Train'

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Hmmm ... starting to think I'm the only one that saw the recent (Chrysler) Imperial concept in the new Lincoln Continental design....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"The curves around midnight aren't easy to see" __ Rosanne Cash __ 'Runaway Train'
did you see the Imperial in person, Cort?

it's been quite a while but my main impression was its boxy overall shape

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Just because Bentley felt threatened rather than flattered, does not equate to this not being silly.
We shall see. I just don’t see enough similarity to make a fuss over. Every single car the Koreans build directly steals from someone. If you want a big bold luxury car with an elegant stance, broad shoulders and pronounced grill….then your design will be familiar to many others, not just Bentley.

Worst case scenario, Lincoln designed a better looking Bentley, for far less.
I seem to recall the original 300 was very similar as well.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You don't give free advertisement or credibility to your competition and that's exactly what Bentley did. I personally believe the comments from Bentley is putting more spotlight on the Continental Concept whis is a good thing. Lincoln(Ford) just can't make the mistake of dumbing down the concept to production which they did with the MKC/MKX. Fields already stated the production version design has already been locked down ready for production next year, I assume the suppliers will be working on the tooling soon. I don't know what Lincoln expectations were from the concept but it's been overwhemingly positive so I hope they have the opportunity to see what the media/public like and make sure it makes it into production.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You don't give free advertisement or credibility to your competition and that's exactly what Bentley did. I personally believe the comments from Bentley is putting more spotlight on the Continental Concept whis is a good thing. Lincoln(Ford) just can't make the mistake of dumbing down the concept to production which they did with the MKC/MKX. Fields already stated the production version design has already been locked down ready for production next year, I assume the suppliers will be working on the tooling soon. I don't know what Lincoln expectations were from the concept but it's been overwhemingly positive so I hope they have the opportunity to see what the media/public like and make sure it makes it into production.
This press is good press.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
One of the GM's executives is jumping on the band wagon:

Lincoln, Cadillac rivalry on display in New York
David Shepardson, Detroit News Washington Bureau 10:02 a.m. EDT April 1, 2015

New York — The "Spy vs. Spy" rivalry between the two largest U.S. automakers is on full display here this week as General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Co. vie for attention for their full-size luxury sedans.

GM announced in January it would unveil its Cadillac CT6 here on March 31 ahead of the New York International Auto Show.

That didn't go unnoticed in Dearborn. Ford invited reporters to come to New York on Sunday afternoon — and meet with CEO Mark Fields and see a concept version of the Lincoln Continental — two days before reporters would typically come to the show.

Ford also held briefings in Dearborn the week before embargoing stories for publication just after midnight Monday — and then Fields blanketed morning TV shows Monday to tout the vehicle.

That meant Ford's story was out nearly two days before Cadillac's official reveal after 8 p.m. Tuesday. GM executives grumbled about some of the coverage that suggested Ford was beating GM to the punch, even though the CT6 goes into production this year — and the Lincoln Continental is due out sometime next year.

GM wasn't impressed.

GM President Dan Ammann was asked if the Continental was stealing the CT6's thunder?

"I like the Bentley designer's comment on that," he joked at a breakfast this morning.

Fields on Sunday declined to weigh in on the CT6, since he said he hadn't seen the vehicle.

GM has been dismissive of Lincoln in the past and noted that Cadillac nearly outsells Lincoln by a two-to-one margin.

This is the latest sniping between the two automakers over the last year. In a June 2011 Detroit News interview, then GM CEO Dan Akerson questioned the viability of Ford's struggling Lincoln brand.

"You might as well sprinkle holy water. It's over," he said.

In 2012, Ford asked GM to pull a planned Super Bowl ad that touted its Silverado pickup. The ad showed a Silverado navigating a "completely over-the-top, outrageous version of the devastation and destruction predicted to occur this year by the Mayan calendar includes giant attack robots, meteors and frogs falling from the sky," GM said. "A group of friends, who are Silverado owners, makes its way to the designated meeting spot but notice one of their buddies is missing. The missing friend, however, did not drive a Chevrolet. Instead, he drove a Ford and doesn't appear to have made it to the meeting point."

GM's then global chief marketing officer Joel Ewanick said it was standing by the ad. "We can wait until the world ends, and if we need to, we will apologize. In the meantime, people who are really worried about the Mayan calendar coming true should buy a Silverado right away."

Ford's executive vice president and president, Europe, Middle East and Africa, James Farley, used an expletive to describe GM in a 2011 book.

"I'm going to beat Chevrolet on the head with bat. And I'm going to enjoy it," Farley was quoted in "Once Upon a Car."

Farley added: "I hate them and their company and what they stand for. And I hate the way they're succeeding. Ford is back because people trust us. And that is a powerful message."

Farley didn't deny making the comments. His bosses were not happy about the comment and he called GM to apologize.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...n-cadillac-rivalry-display-new-york/70765552/

·
Registered
997 Posts
If anything, the side profile of the Continental Concept does have some LS in the rear door window. Almost looking like a wider LWB LS.

It's about time Lincoln shows a big sedan although how much of the design will make production? Why is Bentley getting their diaper in a knot? The production version (based on MKZ and MKZ Concepts to Production) will have changes here and there so the issue is moot.

Regarding comparisons to the Imperial Concept. The Imperial Concept is more bloated in appearance.

Does Ford plan to respond to all this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why would Ford stoop down to the level of these guys?

GM is obviously threatened by the Continental. Clear defense mechanism by making fun of it, and to not answer the question head on.

CT6 is nice for sure, but it is a little too clean of a design to stand out, in my opinion. A bit too much of ATS x 150%.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ford as a business in the recent past has always been classy in it's responses to competitors....... especially GM. Ford responds at auto shows with it's surprise announcements but GM will eventually catch on and start doing the samething since it takes the brunt of the lost attention. I think most in the auto industry knew Ford was bringing back the Continental because rumors have been going around for over a year.... I think they were all surprised by the efforts Lincoln put into the design and how good the concept is.

All of Cadillac's new vehicles over the past 2 years have been really good but they are still following the German formula of same design in just smaller or bigger scale.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts