Ford Inside News banner

281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #281 (Edited)
transplanting with a [WhiteLabel] crossreference &
thinking a NEW Favorite [BL] Theme POLL might be needed soon (incldg OLD Themes?)...
Wouldn't it be nice if the 2018 Continental got the new 9-speed transmission. 0:)
I'm hoping the 2018 Continental gets the 9-speed (as well as MKZ and MKX!) but not too sure it will.

Realistically I think the 2018 Continental will get small stuff, like the option of those rear screens the 2018 Navigator debuted (same seat shell, so seems a sure thing!)
I also expect the Black Label theme choices will lose one and gain another...my guess is lose Thoroughbred and gain Destination from new Navigator.

Guessing/wishing more, I'd say the 2018 MKZ will also loose Thoroughbred and gain Rhapsody...I think Lincoln is owning blue right now!

For the 2018 MKX, hope it gets the 3.0 GTDI as a new top engine. For BL, I think they will drop Thoroughbred and gain either Vineyard or Destination....or Yacht Club?! (Would be awesome!)

For the 2018 MKC, I'd guess that BL will drop Center Stage and pick up one either Vineyard or Destination..?
Only thing I wish Lincoln would do different is have some lower gloss woods on the interior. The wood in the Navigator pic above is so shiny, same with some of the woods in the Continental, looks almost plastic.
imho, a Lot depends on when/if they re-assort the Std interior colors (+ if-ever switchable dash-trims)
thought it'd be good to redo dates from the OG thread
2018MY Order Bank Open Dates = ~approx. when OGs come out
04/17/17 = MKT
06/12/17 = MKC, Navi, MKZ, Conti
07/17/17 = MKX
2018MY Job #1 Dates
06/19/17 = MKT
08/21/17 = Conti
08/28/17 = MKC
09/04/17 = MKZ
09/18/17 = MKX
09/25/17 = Navi

Colors posted!
Also interior choices for non-BL will be Ebony, Cappaccino, Slate and Russet.
tho thinking Lincoln will NEVER make the [BL] themes uniform across All models
& I'm really not sure what I'd *prefer*...short of ALL umpteen [BL] Themes available on EVERY model
which won't happen :nerd: afaik

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
When you are buying luxury cars at this level the thought of 'plastic wood' really isn't crossing your mind. You know it's real so it just needs to look as exquisite as possible. It doesn't need to prove it's real by resembling a chunk of wood stuck on the dashboard and chipped away with iron chains and hammers.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
When you are buying luxury cars at this level the thought of 'plastic wood' really isn't crossing your mind. You know it's real so it just needs to look as exquisite as possible. It doesn't need to prove it's real by resembling a chunk of wood stuck on the dashboard and chipped away with iron chains and hammers.
Part of the reason why I don't classify Buick as luxury. They used to offer real wood on the highest end Lacrosse but that was only one model and they nixed that. No Buick offers real wood at all. When you get into this price point everyone even Acura has real wood.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #284 (Edited)
...imho, a Lot depends on when/if they re-assort the Std interior colors (+ if-ever switchable dash-trims)
tho thinking Lincoln will NEVER make the [BL] themes uniform across All models
& I'm really not sure what I'd *prefer*...short of ALL umpteen [BL] Themes available on EVERY model
which won't happen :nerd: afaik
forgot to say/re-say,
got a feeling [BL] might go a bit more 'high-style' VERSUS more "easy to like" themes
ex: Chalet (& Indulgence) have been popular BUT could Cappaccino be too close to Chalet?
(& how close were Hazelnut & Indulgence? - at least in color, not materials)
(( & wondering about Thoroughbred VS the new Russet non[BL] ))
disclaimer: I've never see [BL] nor current Std interior colors in person :crying2:

edit: missed this in the Navi thread & just-now googling
It's hard to explain the presence, and the occasion presented in the Range Rover. Also it's a bit disingenuous to compare the lower level Range Rover with a top level Black Label Navigator. I can assure you that the Autobiography LWB with it's reclining rear seats feels worth every bit of $200,000. Another notable variant is the "Holland and Holland edition".
Car&Driver article Feb2016 - C&D gallery
official website

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
forgot to say/re-say,
got a feeling [BL] might go a bit more 'high-style' VERSUS more "easy to like" themes
ex: Chalet (& Indulgence) have been popular BUT could Cappaccino be too close to Chalet?
(& how close were Hazelnut & Indulgence? - at least in color, not materials)
(( & wondering about Thoroughbred VS the new Russet non[BL] ))
disclaimer: I've never see [BL] nor current Std colors in person :crying2:

edit: missed this in the Navi thread & just-now googling
Car&Driver article Feb2016 - C&D gallery
official website
Ford and Lincoln have long had a fascination with British design and you'll see it in many of their cars. It's probably no accident they use to own many of them with a design office in London. But they have really ramped up the design similarities with Flex (mini/Land Rover), Fusion (Aston Martin), Explorer (Land Rover), and Lincoln (LandRover/Jaguar/Bentley). They still are thin facsimiles by comparison so they aren't quite as striking as the real deal but certain vehicles like "Explorer" really benefit from the tasteful application of those visual ideas with unmistakable Ford SUV DNA. Fusion is another outstanding example, although very old now the Fusion is still one of my favorite midsize designs. Lincoln is a little too unimaginative, although I appreciate the careful progress they've made there is a distinct lack of charisma in their designs. Essentially Ford is still a better designer but at least Lincoln isn't afraid to start over if it has to.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Navigator does have presence. Navigator looks more luxury, Range Rover looks more big sport. And not too much of a fan of the 4 chrome bars and big strip down the side of the vehicle.

Range Rover LWB Holland has a nice rear executive seating. Can't wait to see what Navigator has to offer that customer in the BL Vineyard or Rhapsody(an immense amount of that rich blue in a Navigator would be an experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I like the Navigator but it really looks like a bus compared to the careful craftsmanship of the trim and tucked Land Rover design, there is just no compromise to what they do. It doesn't have to be as boxy, doesn't have to pay attention to the range of customers that the Expedition has to satisfy, doesn't have to follow the hardpoints of the pickup truck it's riding on, etc.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I like the Navigator but it really looks like a bus compared to the careful craftsmanship of the trim and tucked Land Rover design, there is just no compromise to what they do. It doesn't have to be as boxy, doesn't have to pay attention to the range of customers that the Expedition has to satisfy, doesn't have to follow the hardpoints of the pickup truck it's riding on, etc.
It's also a lot smaller than Navigator? It's hard to compare the two in that respect.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I'd have preferred to see more of the interior in both of them. Chalet was better in that regard than Rhapsody. I get the idea behind the theme of Rhapsody - a sort of music/jazz lounge oriented thing - and that a nighttime jazz club (presumably what she was headed to) fits with that idea, but having the ad in the dark like that, you can barely tell that the interior is blue in that dark setting like that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd have preferred to see more of the interior in both of them. Chalet was better in that regard than Rhapsody. I get the idea behind the theme of Rhapsody - a sort of music/jazz lounge oriented thing - and that a nighttime jazz club (presumably what she was headed to) fits with that idea, but having the ad in the dark like that, you can barely tell that the interior is blue in that dark setting like that.
Agreed! Should also mention the smells, touch and feel of these interiors, they really are amazing! I do hope they release more videos like this. I suspect since the Black Label program has rolled out to more and more dealers they are starting to ramp it up. Noticed for each model on their website they now include the BL trim, whereas at first you had to go to the separate BL site to get any info/pics. Even the build & price includes the BL trim, as well it should.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
. for your consideration...

Lynk & CO Continues Promising ‘Brutally Simple’ Sales Strategy With No Haggling

TTAC
, By Matt Posky on June 22, 2017

Geely may be pushing the Lynk & Co brand as the most connected and tech-savvy in existence but its senior vice president Alain Visser believes its sales strategy should remain simple. With cars supposedly rolling out in Europe and North America for 2019, Lynk & Co is only planning to offer an extremely limited number of trim choices that rotate seasonally. It’s a fine strategy for an unknown element breaking into the marketplace but it does omit the ability to rake in the additional dough via optional extras. However, it also permits for lower production costs and a flat rate Lynk & Co claims buyers won’t need to bother negotiating.

How convenient for everyone.

“In Europe and the U.S. we will have a maximum of 10 variants and no options. It’s brutally simple, but we believe that is what consumers want,” Visser explained to Automotive News Europe. “You can imagine how this reduces complexity, reduces cost — and the cars will always be in stock.”

That brutal, savage, caveman-level of unsophistication appears to include an inability to haggle for a discount. Visser said one of the most perplexing aspects of the automotive industry is that it seems to be the only one where customers negotiate the product’s final price.

Newsflash: It’s because cars (like homes) are a major long-term expenditure of funds and prospective buyers don’t want to overpay. Bargaining over a sack of groceries is a waste of time but the same cannot be said for a shiny new SUV when the stakes are so much higher. It’s also part of our culture. Haggling on an automobile is as American as baseball or selling guns to a third world nation to fight a war you helped start but refuse to finish. We bargained with the horse; we do it with the car.

Interestingly Visser only mentioned the sales plan as it relates to Europe. Is that because he was addressing a European audience or because the United States’ dealer model could make negotiation-free pricing an impossibility?

Lynk & Co has specified in the past that it wants to implement flat fees and direct sales globally, but hasn’t been able to specify if that will be true for the U.S. The concept of a competitive and fairly priced vehicle you don’t need to argue about in a little room for two hours is a lovely dream, though.

Whether or not the United States is ready for it, Visser said the dream will be a reality in Europe.

“Our prices will be the same across a currency, so in Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy and Spain [prices] will be exactly the same,” he explained. “Everybody compares with the competition in the market… for us, competition is also public transportation, Google, and Uber.”

In addition of normal ownership Lynk & Co will also be offering mobility service subscriptions which essentially serve as long term rentals. The brand also wants to provide full-time possessors the ability to rent their vehicles out to drivers in need using an in-car application that allows phone access similar to ZipCar. The Geely sub-brand claims it would be a good way for buyers to mitigate ownership costs or simply be a Good Samaritan to the neighbors.

Europe should have the Lynk & Co 01 crossover a few months prior to North America. It’s still unclear exactly how it will be sold in the U.S. but servicing is almost guaranteed to take place at Volvo dealerships.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #296 (Edited)
from later, for later ...don't peek

this ( which kinda sounds a bit parts-bin-ish )
Ram Forges New 'Tungsten Edition' Pickup - AutoVerdict

...buyers love luxury trim levels... ...the Tungsten Edition is based on Ram Limited, but positioned above the Laramie and Longhorn models. The Tungsten name is just hyperbole, Ram has given the grille on this truck a “tungsten finish” for a more luxurious appearance when paired with the blackened headlights pulled from the Ram Sport. A sportier hood on the 1500 model and blacked out exterior trim round out the exterior visuals.

Inside, Tungsten models gain unique, two-tone leather upholstery and unique carpeting. Real wood trim is also in tow, while this particular Ram is the first pickup on the market to feature a suede headliner.

The hidden agenda on Ram’s part is to help drive up transaction prices on the Ram, so it likely comes as no surprise that the Ram 1500 Tungsten Edition will start at $55,120; about a $3,000 increase of the Limited. In the grand scheme of luxury pickups, $55,000 honestly isn’t much these days...

makes me wonder about different / Seasonal? / less long-lived / special-edition-ish...
...almost the equivalent of a software EASTER-EGG,
maybe "Experimental-Experiential" guinea-pig way of trying-out,
and Surprising-&-Delighting theme-ettes
( now imagining the Famous 'Upside Down' Jenny postage stamp for a tongue-in-cheek program logo )

&
of course, StepOne would be YOUR-CHOICE of dash wood trim
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
It's a nice interior for sure but I am not a fan of the new RAM grille. It's too gaudy.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It's a nice interior for sure but I am not a fan of the new RAM grille. It's too gaudy.
Agreed, it's pretty bad.

The "RAM" text on the tailgate is also far too large.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
don't remember if I've posted this but

ANYone ELSE kinda think we're *ready* for the [BL] themes to be 'settled' across all models?
ie
the same wood(s), steeringwheels, color-accented pieces... ...SAME THEMES (+some options withIN each theme?)
(note: NOT saying 3, 4, or even 6 themes is enough!!)
:nerd:

exhibit A:
There seem to be more changes for Black Label. The earlyConti-Chalet has/had a two-tone steering wheel like below. But now (NAVI)'s all black. Wonder if it had to do with keeping the white leather clean....

281 - 300 of 302 Posts