Ford Inside News banner

61 - 80 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
otoh, LincolnFanFl,
by waiting 2 years it's probably a sure thing that the Nano 2.7v6 and 8speed transmission will be out too!!!
LOL..:lmao:

Would be a nice compensation for my pain and suffering 'til then. Pain and suffering will be huge once the first members are going to post the first images of their cars and when the new model says "hello" to me on the dealer's lot while my ride is in service.

And who knows - maybe I'll be able to get the pano-roof AND the rear-sunshade together by then - but I guess I'm pushing it now..:facepalm:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
[Black Label]...what COULD it become?

since [BL] is about to become reality, I'm resurrecting this thread for
BEYOND BlackLabel1.0 > > > _ _ _ _ _ _
drawing on:
• a "coachbuilding"/über-personalization chat in Heritage Pix
• Ford's Freeform Fabrication Technology
• & some comments in What Farley would change, as well as [BL] Launch & Reuters:$5billion

so maybe keep speculation here instead of in thread(s) about the Real Thing™...
...think there'll be a lot of woulda/shoulda/coulda "suggestions" floating around the interwebs

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Re: [Black Label]...what COULD it become?

since [BL] is about to become reality, I'm resurrecting this thread for
BEYOND BlackLabel1.0 > > > _ _ _ _ _ _
drawing on:
• a "coachbuilding"/über-personalization chat in Heritage Pix
• Ford's Freeform Fabrication Technology
• & some comments in What Farley would change, as well as [BL] Launch & Reuters:$5billion

so maybe keep speculation here instead of in thread(s) about the Real Thing™...
...think there'll be a lot of woulda/shoulda/coulda "suggestions" floating around the interwebs
My idea is a bit different. I think the most elite clientele should be able to get their way at any luxury brand. That means if they want a certain one-off bodystyle; they should be able to get it.

Rolls-Royce obviously could not offer very low-volume bodystyles (ex: convertible sedan) for dealer stock, but they should be able build them for customers that ask for them. So, RR could start a bespoke bodystyle portfolio. That program could offer many different bodystyles: sport sedans, limousines, sport limousines, broughams (that would be rare), convertible sedans, 4-door coupés, coupés, two-seater coupés, and a roadsters. Each bodystyle would have variants (different window shapes, rooflines, etc.).

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

My idea is a bit different...
I know
but I think of customizatioon as a continuum
and this is just from 'the other end', looking at [BL] as a group of 'special editions' that only offer (an)other choice(s) without going as far as any true personalization (ie Only You have one like it)

&
feeding my categorization-fixation - came up 7 levels (so far)
-- just colors/materials = [BL]
-- non-structural custom parts
-- drivetrain mods/electrification
-- ragtop,hatch,wagon (greenhouse rebuild)
-- bodymetal (Freeform Fabrication Technology?)
-- custom glass - imho: Rare! if ever
-- chassis stretch/cut & door changes

...I think the most elite clientele should be able to get their way at any luxury brand. That means if they want a certain one-off bodystyle; they should be able to get it.Rolls-Royce obviously could not offer very low-volume bodystyles (ex: convertible sedan) for dealer stock, but they should be able build them for customers that ask for them. So, RR could start a bespoke bodystyle portfolio. That program could offer many different bodystyles: sport sedans, limousines, sport limousines, broughams (that would be rare), convertible sedans, 4-door coupés, coupés, two-seater coupés, and a roadsters. Each bodystyle would have variants (different window shapes, rooflines, etc.).
any idea when this became unavailable on RR or any other überBrand?

&
thinking 'coachbuilt'/'coachbuilder' might be an archaic-obsolete term
tho
perhaps "carrossier"/"carrozzeria" (which afaik means the same thing) might be applicable - think the terms are still used in Yurpland...as well as being adopted by some in the U.S.
+ since Boyd Coddington passed away, who besides Chip Foose could be in this category?

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

feeding my categorization-fixation - came up 7 levels (so far)
-- just colors/materials = [BL]
-- non-structural custom parts
-- drivetrain mods/electrification
-- ragtop,hatch,wagon (greenhouse rebuild)
-- bodymetal (Freeform Fabrication Technology?)
-- custom glass - imho: Rare! if ever
-- chassis stretch/cut & door changes
Awesome!!!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

any idea when this became unavailable on RR or any other überBrand?
The Great Depression killed most of the coachbuilders. So, it's been a veeeery long time.

thinking 'coachbuilt'/'coachbuilder' might be an archaic-obsolete term
tho
perhaps "carrossier"/"carrozzeria" (which afaik means the same thing) might be applicable - think the terms are still used in Yurpland...as well as being adopted by some in the U.S.
+ since Boyd Coddington passed away, who besides Chip Foose could be in this category?
Many people just use the term 'bespoke', but I think it's a widely abused term.

I'm thinking of that CadZZilla right now...... Boyd was awesome. Not sure I like Mr. Foose..... I'm trying to think of those other guys on TV...... I think they're on the History Channel.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

...Many people just use the term 'bespoke', but I think it's a widely abused term.

I'm thinking of that CadZZilla right now...... Boyd was awesome. Not sure I like Mr. Foose..... I'm trying to think of those other guys on TV...... I think they're on the History Channel.
afaik 'bespoke' is just British for "custom"
like bonnet = hood and
"brilliant" = "cool"

I used to watch Boyd Coddington's "American Hot Rod" tv show on TLC (tho I'm cable-less now)
which reminded me of his "Whatthehay"

which of course
reminded me of its inspiration: Delahaye,

...The Great Depression killed most of the coachbuilders. So, it's been a veeeery long time...
who (per wiki) didn't fully decease until 1954
(I vaguely remember a black'n'white Alec Guinness '50s movie with him driving one)
&
happened upon a company/group called Deco Rides who sound like they're re-creating a/some classics...
...where I swiped that^ painting (they might be a research start for modern coachbuilders)
+
Delahaye led to reminding me of Very famous coachbuilders called "Figoni et Falaschi', who wiki says also lasted into the 1950's

anywho... back to my list for [BL]v.2
-- just colors/materials --
...+ more/different choices tho
-- non-structural custom parts = thinking grille!!, fascias!, maybe hood/trunklid, probably painted+3M'ed rocker panels
-- drivetrain mods/electrification:
-- ex MKZ = über-FusionEnergi with EB & a Nano-Sport
wondering if it'd be appropriate for [BL] to get a different tune, as in just software settings?
&
-- the others might well wait for the LincStang (?)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

-- drivetrain mods/electrification:
-- ex MKZ = über-FusionEnergi with EB & a Nano-Sport
just thought while re-reading the (whole!) Black Label Launch thread,
the Z-Nano-Sport could mean the 3.7v6 will get dropped
but
wonder if an EB-Plug-In could be offered at the same price as the NanoSport?

'course I'd like the ZENergi to have VirtualAwd, then both top models would be Awd only...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I feel that the BL suite runs the risk of alienating those customers who expect similar service without needing to purchase a BL vehicle. The CLA customer will be treated on a dealer level in a way that is not utterly divergent from the Designo S550 owner, and to many that is one of the appeals of a brand like MB.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
^ just-imho
[BL] won't "sit still" long enough for an overall-consumer grudge to develop
...at least that's what I hope...
being a source of surprise&delight for THIS decade anyway

&
finally looked up my old** Mercury Themes
Spa (not totally divergent from Oasis),
and with no direct comparos

Ambiance,
Resort,
AmbianceSport,
Tech,
&
Sport

** circa 2007

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I feel that the BL suite runs the risk of alienating those customers who expect similar service without needing to purchase a BL vehicle. The CLA customer will be treated on a dealer level in a way that is not utterly divergent from the Designo S550 owner, and to many that is one of the appeals of a brand like MB.
The elevated service levels, free washes, detailing, no charge service etc., are not an issue IMO because they're not really in the face of those who buy a lesser Lincoln and also because those who get them are paying a premium. The idea of someone coming to the home of a potential BL buyer is also no big deal IMO, again because it won't be rubbed in their faces. The one thing I haven't really liked was the idea of BL only lounges where they will have to tell some customers "Sorry, that's only for the VIP customers.".

Cliffs: Elevated ownership benefits are no big deal so long as they're done in such a manner as to not put off the rest of your customer base.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The elevated service levels, free washes, detailing, no charge service etc., are not an issue IMO because they're not really in the face of those who buy a lesser Lincoln and also because those who get them are paying a premium. The idea of someone coming to the home of a potential BL buyer is also no big deal IMO, again because it won't be rubbed in their faces. The one thing I haven't really liked was the idea of BL only lounges where they will have to tell some customers "Sorry, that's only for the VIP customers.".

Cliffs: Elevated ownership benefits are no big deal so long as they're done in such a manner as to not put off the rest of your customer base.
Mercedes has offered its Designo label for many years, and arguably it could be said that many MB customers ( including those in my area ) already receive many of the BL benefits at no extra cost. Lincoln should not alienate those customers who may be swayed by the benefits of the brand, and who can purchase a CT200h, and yet receive the same benefits as those who drive BL Lincolns ( for the most part) , and LS600h Ls.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Mercedes has offered its Designo label for many years, and arguably it could be said that many MB customers ( including those in my area ) already receive many of the BL benefits at no extra cost. Lincoln should not alienate those customers who may be swayed by the benefits of the brand, and who can purchase a CT200h, and yet receive the same benefits as those who drive BL Lincolns ( for the most part) , and LS600h Ls.
So you're saying that the BL services are standard fare at any Lexus dealer?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I wonder if withholding [BL]ness from some dealers is a way of
-- getting them to finish upgrading their dealerships
-- assuming there are laggards...
-- getting any under-performers out of the Brand altogether
??

miscellaneous [BL]² desires:
I'd really like
-- a gray-scale, ie Anthracite-thru-SILVER interior
-- be able to have ANY dash trim I like, regardless of theme (wheels TOO!)
-- have flexibility in cloosing paint color (tho will prolley Love CrystalSilver)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
well, a bit more than 2 years since:
LincolnFanFl,
by waiting 2 years it's probably a sure thing that the Nano 2.7v6 and 9speed transmission will be out too!!!
just wanted to take stock of what we ARE getting so far
(of an ON the vehicle nature, not the buyer/owner services parts)

up-graded materials & trims of course and

colors - 8 paint
Black Tie
Crystal Silver
Confidential White
Notorious (blue)
Chroma Flame (fiery red)
Chroma Couture (brown)
Chroma Elite (copper)
Chroma Quartz (medium gray with a slightly purplish tint)

& 6 interiors
Indulgence
Modern Heritage
Center Stage
Oasis
Triple Crown
Muse

Harmon Revel, top sound system

[BL] exclusive wheels

[BL] exclusive seats (MKX = extending thigh support: 22-way+ActiveMotion)

have I missed anything? ...can't easily go to Lincoln.com from home
are the new-style LED headlites going to be a [BL] feature?

"Black Label: Black Tie, Confidential White and Crystal Silver are core colors, and are offered with all interior design themes."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys! Dropping off a little bit of old news... google 2016 lincoln mkx, scroll down on the images and you will see the triple crown mkx black label!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Hello guys! Dropping off a little bit of old news... google 2016 lincoln mkx, scroll down on the images and you will see the triple crown mkx black label!
I don't see it, can you post a link?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't see it, can you post a link?
There is no link, just google 2016 lincoln mkx, click on images and go thru the images it will take a bit of time, but there are two images, one showing the chroma copper color exterior with black label wheels, and the other showing the triple crown black label interior, I have to say the wood is exquisite, looks like polished stained wood logs...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Hi Papa!! :joyous:
&
TY:thumb: ...butBUT we've already seen pix of "TripsC" & ChromaElite...

what we need to see is MUSE!!

ps the "Jaguar - Exclusive Events" brochure I just got could practically be a template for a {Red Portfolio}
Thanks 2b2 I didn't realize that was the name of it!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I made a provisional chart for availability

correction: MKX does get ChromaCouture also - prolley all 4 themes
Wonder if they'll add another Theme to the MKZ when the 2016my goes into production April 6?
think I'd prefer TripleCrown to Oasis...

& while playing with the configurator from the Library earlier today
noticed that they don't let you get the MKZ in GUARD with the HAZELNUT interior - at least for the versions I tried

imho a green(ish) car with a brown/tan(ish) interior is a CLASSIC combination!!

edit
looking a Timf's photos from NAIAS (& FINALLY starting to download them
) it looks like None of the [BL] paints are sparkly metallic, not even the CrystalSilver

61 - 80 of 302 Posts