Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I read this in the page:
After decades of selling hulking Town Cars to retirees, Ford Motor Co. wants the Lincoln brand to appeal to younger, more discerning buyers. Lincoln unveiled the sleek MKZ sedan this spring, and six more models will follow......

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I read this in the page:
After decades of selling hulking Town Cars to retirees, Ford Motor Co. wants the Lincoln brand to appeal to younger, more discerning buyers. Lincoln unveiled the sleek MKZ sedan this spring, and six more models will follow......
Ooooooooo...

...wait a minute

6 + Z = 7
Could they be regurgitating the old "7 in 4 years" mantra?

just did some figuring and by my count, Lincoln will "unveil" over 100 new models
. .
. . . this CENTURY
:toetap:

edit-------------------------
this doesn't inspire confidence in the article
"...MKZ can lure young luxury buyers. With a $40,000 starting price tag, it's comparable to the Mercedes C-Class..."

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
...One salesman puzzles over his choices when asked which Los Angeles hotel would appeal to the progressive customer: the Ritz-Carlton, the Palomar, W or Loew's?
"The only Lowe's I know sells hardware," he mutters...​
/quote

so which IS the correct answer??
The Palomar is a boutique hotel.... So, that's the correct answer.

That guy should know luxury in general.... I wish Lincoln had 100% control of the dealer network.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that caught my eye too. I wish a lincoln executive would actaully confirm this. It appears they do have major plans in store.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The person who commented that the only Lowe's he knew sells hardware was the sort of person who needed an education in luxury. I'd heard of Loews hotels a while ago, really. That is a specific, though. When I think of this, though, I also have to think of the local dealers selling Lincoln in my area. Right now, two of them are selling Lincolns in the same showroom as they sell Fords, though I see one of them building a new Lincoln showroom. Irony here is that the dealer that had the franchise in that city previously had built a separate Lincoln showroom. It is now a church. I've told you already about the high class act that is Virginia Beach's Lincoln franchise, with a Kia showroom grafted onto it, and a big sign advertising the ability to repair large diesel trucks on the back, visible from I-264.

If this is what the face of Lincoln is nationwide, Lincoln has its work cut out for it. Also, the article comments on the MKZ as competition for the C Class, when it is nothing of the sort. I considered both on the way to my recent purchase, but for very different reasons. In the end I replaced a high performance sedan with a sports car, and kept my other sedan, which I could still replace with a MKZ, should I find funding for another car payment. The plan that included the leasing of a MKZ would have included the sale of my Passat, and the purchase of a used, perhaps very used, Miata. The leasing of a C Class would have seen me keeping the Passat, like I have with getting the FR-S. But there is no directly comparing those two cars, despite them both having four wheels, and similar price tags.

The dealers, and sales people as well, do need to know what they're dealing with. Some of them are ready, others are not.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
It's really difficult to overhaul the dealership experience of an existing brand due to franchise laws.

That's why I've always said Ford should've dumped Lincoln and revived the short-lived Continental division.

Lincoln's dealership experience in China should be perfect, though.... I just don't see how they're going to get it perfect here in the U.S.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
^ yes & true, N.R.

and then they could've brought a NEW premium Brand maybe called Titanium
I think a new brand called Mustang could be a better choice: now, that the Mustang will go officialy to Europe, a new some kind of a wagon (2 door+hatchback vs 4 door+hachtback) Mustang and 4 door version of the car could be a succes there and in USA. Is a heresy? Maybe... but Ford needs to take advantage from that RWD platform and make more profits on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The dealership in the pictures Hines Park Lincoln, formally Hines Park Lincoln-Mercury, is located in southeast Michigan; a market that can easily support a stand alone Lincoln dealership. Since the demise of Mercury and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships, a large number of Lincolns are sold at Ford-Lincoln dealerships. These dealership primarily cater to the high volume Ford customers are they have done for many years. It is not uncommon to see a high end Lincoln MKS on the showroom floor next to a Ford Fiesta. The entire dealership is geared to the Ford customer. That is also the case in many service departments where all customers are treated the same. Usually you have to park, look for your service writer, and wait in an area with vending machines. It does not matter if you arrive in a new Lincoln MKT or a Ford Fairmont.

To promote the luxury experience then the dealer is the first step. You can have the best products in the world, but if the dealer experience is lacking then you will not keep the customer's interest. It does not matter how many new products Lincoln introduces in next few years if they are not presented in a quality way by knowledgeable people.

It was reported on this site awhile ago that Lincoln was going after Lexus. How many times have you seen new Lexus models being sold at a Toyota dealership?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I think a new brand called Mustang could be a better choice ... a new some kind of a wagon (2 door+hatchback vs 4 door+hachtback) Mustang and 4 door version of the car...
...Is a heresy?.
Nooooooooooooo

&
heresy
YES

...Ford needs to take advantage from that RWD platform and make more profits on it.
AgreeBUT
"Mustang" itself is not the way
imho = just Lincoln!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lincoln needs the following three things to be successful: product, product, and product. I don't care how much merlot you swill or brie you gnaw, you're still looking at old, uncompetitive products.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
These pictures look 100x better than the original ones that were 3D models.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I truly want Lincoln to succeed and am glad to see them upgrading their dealerships. That said, a MUCH greater effort must be made to differentiate Lincolns from Fords. Once you get past the tarted up interiors and some exterior pieces, you are talking Ford. That's not bad, and is the same path that Toyota took with Lexus (for the most part), but there needs to be some technical bits that make Lincolns truly different from their Ford brothers and this needs to happen as soon as possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I truly want Lincoln to succeed and am glad to see them upgrading their dealerships. That said, a MUCH greater effort must be made to differentiate Lincolns from Fords. Once you get past the tarted up interiors and some exterior pieces, you are talking Ford. That's not bad, and is the same path that Toyota took with Lexus (for the most part), but there needs to be some technical bits that make Lincolns truly different from their Ford brothers and this needs to happen as soon as possible.
This boutique luxury service and training program reminds me of what Lexus did back in the day to get customers to buy their cars. Personalized, individual, boutique luxury will find customers. Lincoln needs the right product, which they'll get eventually, but this approach to luxury is what I would've started a few years back. It would've given dealers a leg up and as things got better for the industry I would've done renovations, that way all dealers would be ready for the new changed cars. I realize this new approach is fairly recent, past few years I believe, so I'm giving them slack on that front. Still though, they've got the best idea for selling luxury going forward. Stuff like Black Label will help emphasize boutique luxury, but why's it taking over a year to get here?? :confused::confused::confused:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
LOL,

There simply can be NO positive Lincoln news without the grotesquely played out cliches about more product and better differentiation.

I just want to scream.....DUH!!!!! More and more is on the way!!!! But it's like having to answer your kids questions "are we there yet" every 10 min on a long journey.

As for the dealership experience, that is actually more important in many ways, especially for female buyers. The % of women who purchase their own cars, is far more than it has ever been, and if you know women, you know how important the boutique or store or look of the dealer is. They will love being able to sit in these gorgeous little cafe-like waiting areas, surf the web, sip their Starbucks latte, and sample some delicious deserts -- all while getting an oil change or whatever. And if women make up nearly 50% of sales, I would say that is far more important to them or to the brand, then how quickly their MKZ can clock around a track in Germany.

Just wait until you see these new dealerships in person. Pics don't tell the story, complete with smell and sound of beautiful music in the back ground. Makes you want to hang around, instead of run out of there like in the past. Huge difference, can't be over stated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love the idea of Black Label, combined with the sales experience and services will be a home run. Will combined dealers have to open a separate sales store for Lincoln? How will Lincoln's theme play out in those sales environments? Boutique luxury sales and service is the future with my generation, I want them to pull it off in the best way. When I'm able to afford it, I want to be able to say with as much pride as my aunt does from back in the day, I drive Lincolns. I'll tell you a great story, she was such a successful antiques dealer in Syracuse she had a standing order with her salesman at Heritage Lincoln whenever he got something rare, unique, and interesting in to call her immediately and bring it to her store. 1991 or 1992 he got in a brand new Town Car. It was green with a white vinyl half top and had pillowed white leather interior with green trim, yup, it was a Jack Nicklaus edition, the first one in Syracuse. He drove it to my aunt with the paperwork in hand and she signed it on the hood in the parking lot of her store. :D:thumbup::cool::cool::cool: That's the kind of service I want one day from Lincoln. :cool::cool:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts