Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln nearly triples China sales in Q3
Autonews

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co.'s luxury Lincoln brand nearly tripled its China sales in the third quarter to 8,546 vehicles, the company said today.

In the first three quarters of the year, Lincoln sales in China surged 191 percent to about 21,000, Ford said. Ford also said it was on track to have 65 Lincoln stores by the end of this year and 80 by the end of 2017.

Ford said it hopes its China sales will be boosted by a new version of its flagship sedan, the Lincoln Continental, to go on sale at Chinese dealerships in the fourth quarter.

Even with the surging sales, Ford's Lincoln lagged Detroit rival General Motors and its luxury Cadillac brand, which got a much earlier start. In September in China, GM sold about 12,500 Cadillacs, up 63 percent.

In 2016 through September, GM has sold about 77,000 Cadillac vehicles in China, up 35 percent, more than three times Lincoln's sales.

GM's total deliveries in China rose 16 percent to 343,773 vehicles in September, led by strong sales at Cadillac, Buick and Baojun. Last month, Cadillac sales soared 63 percent from a year earlier to 12,539 vehicles on demand for the XT5 crossover and the ATS-L and XTS sedans.

For the year to date, GM said its sales in China have risen 9 percent to 2.7 million vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Ford also said it was on track to have 65 Lincoln stores by the end of this year and 80 by the end of 2017."

- Momentum is building with Lincoln dealership, and I am sure the New Continental and then New Navigator will help investors build out the networks even more.

Sales wise, Lincoln is averaging 7k units per quarter or about 2,300 per month in Lincoln's second year in the China market.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is data to compare with how Lincoln did in it's first full year in China:

"The iconic automotive brand sold 5,484 vehicles during the first quarter, a 240 percent surge year-on-year. It delivered 11,630 cars to Chinese customers in 2015, the brand's first full year in the country." - http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/regional/2016-04/26/content_24859165.htm

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Sales wise, Lincoln is averaging 7k units per quarter or about 2,300 per month in Lincoln's second year in the China market.
Not far off from sales here!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
in keeping with hurricane season, I started to make a graph with "storm-track"s for Lincoln & Cadillac sales
but
quickly realized it would need to incorporate Lincoln's expanding dealer network as a variable to be meaningful
:yikes:
here's what I got so far ... continuing with Lincoln tripling - or not

Attachments

·
Registered
5,932 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
bogus original title (truncated) but...

Ford luxury brand Lincoln considers China production
Reuters |
Business News | Tue Oct 11, 2016
Reporting by Bernie Woodall in DETROIT and Jake Spring in BEIJING; Editing by David Gregorio and Stephen Coates

...Lincoln is accelerating its entry into China with plans to have 65 Lincoln stores by the end of 2016, instead of previous plans of 60, with 80 planned for year-end 2017, Lincoln China President Amy Marentic told Reuters.

Marentic said the company will also open five to 10 smaller sales branches to tap into fast-growing auto sales in lower-tier Chinese cities.

The company is additionally studying the possibility of local production, she said...

·
Registered
866 Posts
The company is additionally studying the possibility of local production, she said...
How will that show up on the balance sheet? If Lincoln sales in China ramp up spectacularly enough to warrant this, could that mean that Lincoln would be free to aggressively price (well below the Germans) their next-gen D6 Continental flagship in the U.S. in order to gain market share?

Seeing as it makes no sense to price Luxury offerings right up there with the Germans only to have to offer "incentives" to move them out of the showrooms; I hope so.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
How will that show up on the balance sheet? If Lincoln sales in China ramp up spectacularly enough to warrant this, could that mean that Lincoln would be free to aggressively price (well below the Germans) their next-gen D6 Continental flagship in the U.S. in order to gain market share?

Seeing as it makes no sense to price Luxury offerings right up there with the Germans only to have to offer "incentives" to move them out of the showrooms; I hope so.
earlier articles/interviews(/even Announcements?) have made it clear that Lincoln fully intends/plans to build as much of their China/Asia vehicles as profitable in China - they're just scheduling (not even 'waiting' really) for China numbers to support the FIRST factory.

As for prices, I remember reading the Germans kept their prices at tariffed-levels after they didn't have to add that on to local 'produce',
so . . .

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

earlier articles/interviews(/even Announcements?) have made it clear that Lincoln fully intends/plans to build as much of their China/Asia vehicles as profitable in China - they're just scheduling (beyond 'waiting') for China numbers to support the FIRST factory.

As for prices, I remember reading the Germans kept their prices at tariffed-levels after they didn't have to add that on to local 'produce',
so . . .

·
Registered
394 Posts
Uncalled for.
This is not about GM
Where did I actually say that GM is the leader?

And before u accuse me of something I didn't do, don't be a hypocrite, you've brought up GM plenty of times in a ford/Lincoln thread or likewise, ford in a GM thread.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
in keeping with hurricane season, I started to make a graph with "storm-track"s for Lincoln & Cadillac sales
but
quickly realized it would need to incorporate Lincoln's expanding dealer network as a variable to be meaningful
:yikes:
here's what I got so far ... continuing with Lincoln tripling - or not
fwiw/swiped

UPI.com / April 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM
CadillaChina:
2013 = ~100 dealers
2014 = planned to be ~200

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Where did I actually say that GM is the leader?

And before u accuse me of something I didn't do, don't be a hypocrite, you've brought up GM plenty of times in a ford/Lincoln thread or likewise, ford in a GM thread.
Yup.
You know why? I am a Ford fan on a Ford fan site. That's called, clear and present bias. I am dam proud of it.

Now, when I did do so, I recall you were right there, complaining.
So.......Karma baby

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fwiw/swiped

2013 = ~100 dealers
2014 = planned to be ~200
Here is more Cadillac China sales detail as they expanded their dealer network.

Comparing Cadillac and Lincoln sales from entry into China market, Lincoln should maintain a yearly sales lead as the brand grows in the market.

2016: target is for more than 100k
2015: 79,779
2014: 73,500 - Lincoln 2020: Projected 100k
2013: 50,005 - Lincoln 2019: Projected 80k
2012: 30,010 - Lincoln 2018: Projected 60k
2011: 30,008 - Lincoln 2017: Projected 45k
2010: 17,366 - Lincoln 2016: YTD(4th QTR) 21,000 (projected 30k)
2008: 7,624 - Lincoln First year 2015: 11,630

1 - 20 of 28 Posts