·
Registered
5,401 Posts
maybe I've never explained my though that
CD6 might be steel
&
D6 aluminum
???
Then you end up with two entirely new platforms which once again goes against Ford's stated intent of reducing the number used. That also assumes that D6 while capable of RWD will retain FWD's worst visual clue of a short axle to dash ratio. It would be absurd to spend the money to develop a brand new, RWD capable platform with such a huge shortcoming.

I realize you're just speculating, but I think you're trying to hard here. D6 can be ruled out as the Continental's platform based on nothing more than axle to dash ratio IMO.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Soooo, overall I was pretty close, right?
I really could not mention the Conti name, even if I was sure about it.
I said no more split grill.
I mentioned a more classic look that will wear well.
I could not be clear on the 3.0L displacement, although I eluded to a 'bigger' nano quite frequently. I honestly thought this would be ready for MKX, but did not happen.
Power will be North of 400hp, or capable of it. Not exactly sure what tune the Conti gets.
We all knew it was longer, but I did not realize just how much. This is a full sized car.

So now this Conti completes the 4 new Lincolns for phase I, with phase II already kicked off late last year. We will see 2 new Lincolns by 2020, plus all the refreshes on current models.
D6 will underpin at least one. Pretty obvious they will be introducing RWD to the market, which is a far better plan than a rebadged stang.

I like the boutique specialty approach to Lincoln, rather than multiplexed variants of every model, all the way down to Fiesta class. Lincoln does NOT need that at all. MKC should be entry level. MKZ is perfect where it is at, and will be capable of reaching high with Black Label and more. Blah blah, you know the rest.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I could not be clear on the 3.0L displacement, although I eluded to a 'bigger' nano quite frequently. I honestly thought this would be ready for MKX, but did not happen.
Power will be North of 400hp, or capable of it. Not exactly sure what tune the Conti gets.
We all knew it was longer, but I did not realize just how much. This is a full sized car.

So now this Conti completes the 4 new Lincolns for phase I, with phase II already kicked off late last year. We will see 2 new Lincolns by 2020, plus all the refreshes on current models.
D6 will underpin at least one. Pretty obvious they will be introducing RWD to the market, which is a far better plan than a rebadged stang.

I like the boutique specialty approach to Lincoln, rather than multiplexed variants of every model, all the way down to Fiesta class. Lincoln does NOT need that at all. MKC should be entry level. MKZ is perfect where it is at, and will be capable of reaching high with Black Label and more. Blah blah, you know the rest.
A few questions:

1. Did you see pictures of the concept or the production model? I'm really curious to know how much of the concept the production version kept.

2. Are those two new models going to be introduced BY 2020, or in 2020? The graph that Kumar Galhotra spoke about at the earlier investor's conference had those bubbles under 2020.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #206

thanks for the info wings.
IMHO 2 models until 2020 is few.
Also a new RWD should be below the Conti but why the Conti isn't RWD as it should be! Maybe for the next gen

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
maybe I've never explained my though that
CD6 might be steel
&
D6 aluminum
???
When Ford presented the new aluminum F series, said, clearly, that aluminum construction is only for trucks where the weigth lost with the aluminum body is significant. The high cost of this material make it difficult to use in mainstream cars, where the lost of weigh is small.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

Ok. Wings give us a very important news here: the confirmation of the D6 platform. In the first time i read from some one that is inside Ford. Starting now ,to speculate with this platform is valid and usefull.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
thanks for the info wings.
IMHO 2 models until 2020 is few.
Also a new RWD should be below the Conti but why the Conti isn't RWD as it should be! Maybe for the next gen
They've stated the first D6 vehicle will be a Explorer sized CUV, likely named Aviator. If the new Continental has a six year run then they would be looking to replace it is 2023, that would be the soonest I would expect a D6 Continental. My question is what happens with the MKZ, it should be due for replacement around 2019, does it go D6 or stay on the Fusion's next updated platform?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
They've stated the first D6 vehicle will be a Explorer sized CUV, likely named Aviator. If the new Continental has a six year run then they would be looking to replace it is 2023, that would be the soonest I would expect a D6 Continental. My question is what happens with the MKZ, it should be due for replacement around 2019, does it go D6 or stay on the Fusion's next updated platform?
If D6 can truly support FWD/AWD/RWD, then I can't imagine why they wouldn't use it (even in FWD guise) for the MKZ.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
If D6 can truly support FWD/AWD/RWD, then I can't imagine why they wouldn't use it (even in FWD guise) for the MKZ.
Well, of the top of my head it is called D6, I could be wrong but doesn't that signify that it's for D-segment cars and above? CD4 produced C and D segment, yes?

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
When Ford presented the new aluminum F series, said, clearly, that aluminum construction is only for trucks where the weigth lost with the aluminum body is significant. The high cost of this material make it difficult to use in mainstream cars, where the lost of weigh is small.
Yes, for cars it was aluminum body panels, and a more extensive use of magnesium and boron steel to reduce weight.

"Ford’s newest pony car employs a steel unibody design, yes, but it does use aluminum components on the fenders and hood. The newly-unveiled Ford GT supercar is constructed around a carbon fiber passenger shell, but the front and rear sub-frames are aluminum.

“If the industry can find ways to reduce costs, then there’s a point in the future where we’ll see more aluminum in more standard vehicles,” Hinrichs said."

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Well, of the top of my head it is called D6, I could be wrong but doesn't that signify that it's for D-segment cars and above? CD4 produced C and D segment, yes?
Hmm... You make a good point. If D6 is, well, 6, does that mean that a FWD CD5 is in the cards?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Hmm... You make a good point. If D6 is, well, 6, does that mean that a FWD CD5 is in the cards?
Surely the next all new Fusion will debut a new platform, what they choose to call it I don't know.

If I'm free to speculate I would guess there will be a C5 platform as there would be little or no need for a D segment vehicle of another platform other than D6 given its FWD/RWD/AWD capability.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I was thinking. Wonder if the MKZ refresh will get the New Continental grille, while the SUVs maintain the split wing grille.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I was thinking. Wonder if the MKZ refresh will get the New Continental grille, while the SUVs maintain the split wing grille.
I hope they leave the MKZ largely as is, just give us the 400HP 3.0EB, 9 speed, RS AWD system and a better interior! I've honestly grown to love the MKZ's exterior design, I wish it sold better as it's very deserving from a design standpoint!

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I hope they leave the MKZ largely as is, just give us the 400HP 3.0EB, 9 speed, RS AWD system and a better interior! I've honestly grown to love the MKZ's exterior design, I wish it sold better as it's very deserving from a design standpoint!
True, if the MKZ was the size of the 3-Series/C-Class it would have sold much better. Hopefully sales improve in China, then it can carry on there, and be replaced in the US with a better/right sized model.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Bloggin said:
I thought of that too
but
prefer the GreatWall Grille (Conti) to be on upper-range vehicles:
Conti
Navi
Aviator
LincStangs
(edit) keeping the horizontal slat w-w/o split on:
X
Z
X-Sport (Macan)
C
(( well that IS mainly Cuvs... ))

&
my last word on platforms (yeahright)

the CT6 is not ALL Alloy yet is as light as a BMW a size-segment smaller
so
D6 '''heavily''' alloyed
CD6 ('CD5') less so
tho ALSO
D6 for vehicles Z & larger
CD# smaller than Z and all the down to just above B: Ka/EcoSport/?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
201 - 220 of 291 Posts