Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
It looks taller too, not as low slung as the concept.

It's also got more sheetmetal above the wheelarches compared to the Concept below.

From the looks of it, it's the Continental Concept's styling adjusted to fit the hard points of the new 2016 (Chinese) Taurus.
Is the roof glass? Notice how the rear part of the roof isn't camoed.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Thanks for sharing! It was great to see John Manoogian on this one!

It's nice to know Woodhouse believes Lincoln should be Lincoln in order to be successful in the marketplace. I'm still skeptical about his design abilities, though. He did say this new design language will evolve into a more distinctive and "Lincolnish" DNA. I liked how John McElroy and David discussed the similarities of this car's design philosophy to the famous Continentals the Fords were involved in. I'll give him and his designs a chance.
Also......

I don't believe building on Edsel Ford's European-inspired design philosophy is a good market-based solution. They were able to get away with it when the industry wasn't global, and European brands were uncommon. Today, European brands dominate the luxury car market, and it's really important for challenger brands to heavily differentiate themselves from the establishment. Those early Continentals were certainly beautiful works of art, but they were clearly inspired by European design. I think the 60s Continental really defined Lincoln design. So, either they take cues from that iconic car, or they simply come up with some new, original design ideas. In the end, somebody will look at a Lincoln, and it will be impossible for them to mistaken it (or compare) for any other brand. That should be their #1 goal.

I would love to see a head designer for Lincoln that TRULY has passion towards Lincoln and isn't using the job title as a stepping stone for their career.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
It's nice to know Woodhouse believes Lincoln should be Lincoln in order to be successful in the marketplace. I'm still skeptical about his design abilities, though...
yup + YUP

...He did say this new design language will evolve into a more distinctive and "Lincolnish" DNA. I liked how John McElroy and David discussed the similarities of this car's design philosophy to the famous Continentals the Fords were involved in. I'll give him and his designs a chance...
we don't have a choice - -
-- and imho there's definite DNA from the ContiMKII to Kennedy to our ContiConc

I don't believe building on Edsel Ford's European-inspired design philosophy is a good market-based solution. They were able to get away with it when the industry wasn't global, and European brands were uncommon...
I've always questioned/doubted just how european Edsel's cars were.
Afaik they were significantly larger (do you know WHEN he made his famous trip to Yurpland?)

...Those early Continentals were certainly beautiful works of art, but they were clearly inspired by European design...
"inspired", I agree

...Today, European brands dominate the luxury car market, and it's really important for challenger brands to heavily differentiate themselves from the establishment...
also AGREE!

...I think the 60s Continental really defined Lincoln design...
in any MODERN sense I very much agree
& am amazed they've done so well with the original Zephyr used for inspiration -
- THO - that's MAX!!! imho Horbury's bow-wave split was near-Lame
(edit" and only looked as good as it did compared with J Mays's silly geometric stuff)

...So, either they take cues from that iconic car, or they simply come up with some new, original design ideas. In the end, somebody will look at a Lincoln, and it will be impossible for them to mistaken it (or compare) for any other brand. That should be their #1 goal...
:thumb: a lofty and most worthy goal
2"thos's"...
- I haven't completely dispensed with the theory that NOthing is truly "New"
- I'm adamant about gradual development of Style. Without that all I see is a one flip after another (note: did NOT use "flop" - diff issue)

...I would love to see a head designer for Lincoln that TRULY has passion towards Lincoln and isn't using the job title as a stepping stone for their career...
I had a pure lack of 'warm-fuzzies'
- I MISS MAX!!!
- might be just D.W.'s manner but he didn't strike me as passionate either
- more over, I got a sense of more administrative capability than design-genius

&
imhO
(not specifically about *sales*)
Max's MKZ has done brilliantly after The Botch
his C,N,X have been whole-heartedly accepted
it's more the NAME (and apparently JUST opened pursestrings) than the style that makes Conti stand out

I blame the excruciatingly slow pace of intros for the lack of momentum of any kind (including sales)

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
It's nice to know Woodhouse believes Lincoln should be Lincoln in order to be successful in the marketplace. I'm still skeptical about his design abilities, though...
yup + YUP

...He did say this new design language will evolve into a more distinctive and "Lincolnish" DNA. I liked how John McElroy and David discussed the similarities of this car's design philosophy to the famous Continentals the Fords were involved in. I'll give him and his designs a chance...
we don't have a choice - -
-- and imho there's definite DNA from the ContiMKII to Kennedy to our ContiConc

I don't believe building on Edsel Ford's European-inspired design philosophy is a good market-based solution. They were able to get away with it when the industry wasn't global, and European brands were uncommon...
I've always questioned/doubted just how european Edsel's cars were.
Afaik they were significantly larger (do you know WHEN he made his famous trip to Yurpland?)

...Those early Continentals were certainly beautiful works of art, but they were clearly inspired by European design...
"inspired", I agree

...Today, European brands dominate the luxury car market, and it's really important for challenger brands to heavily differentiate themselves from the establishment...
also AGREE!

...I think the 60s Continental really defined Lincoln design...
in any MODERN sense I very much agree
& am amazed they've done so well with the original Zephyr used for inspiration -
- THO - that's MAX!!! imho Horbury's bow-wave split was near-Lame
(edit" and only looked as good as it did compared with J Mays's silly geometric stuff)

...So, either they take cues from that iconic car, or they simply come up with some new, original design ideas. In the end, somebody will look at a Lincoln, and it will be impossible for them to mistaken it (or compare) for any other brand. That should be their #1 goal...
:thumb: a lofty and most worthy goal
2"thos's"...
- I haven't completely dispensed with the theory that NOthing is truly "New"
- I'm adamant about gradual development of Style. Without that all I see is a one flip after another (note: did NOT use "flop" - diff issue)

...I would love to see a head designer for Lincoln that TRULY has passion towards Lincoln and isn't using the job title as a stepping stone for their career...
I had a pure lack of 'warm-fuzzies'
- I MISS MAX!!!
- might be just D.W.'s manner but he didn't strike me as passionate either
- more over, I got a sense of more administrative capability than design-genius

&
imhO
(not specifically about *sales*)
Max's MKZ has done brilliantly after The Botch
his C,N,X have been whole-heartedly accepted
it's more the NAME (and apparently JUST opened pursestrings) than the style that makes Conti stand out

I blame the excruciatingly slow pace of intros for the lack of momentum of any kind (including sales)
Agree with what you said. Can't answer the Edsel Ford question, though. :facepalm:

Lincoln design must surprise the **** out of people ("Wow, I've never seen anything like it!"), so it must be super-distinctive in order for people to say such a thing. It's definitely a tall order!

The last Lincoln I thought was perfect was the Mark X Concept. It's still a gorgeous, breathtaking car. It was the most refined concept under Gerry McGovern. I'm not sure if they could have made it work on utility vehicles, though. The Aviator Concept was not attractive.

Not building on the foundation that was poured by the successful and now iconic 60s Continental was a massive mistake. They finally had a design cue that was uniquely and unmistakably Lincoln. It's like BMW ditching the kidney grille. Perhaps it should be part of Lincoln's revival to undo past mistakes.

I would have kept and refined the spilt-wing grille to where it gave the cars presence and didn't give them a pointy front-end. I'd also reintroduce the slab-sides, with or without the chrome shoulder line. Actually, the current concept could be easily modified. Simply manipulate or eliminate the character lines to get a subtle slab-sided look (really "clean-sided", not true slab-sided), give it a crisper look, and put an all-new interpretation of the split-wing face on.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Km
Agree with what you said. Can't answer the Edsel Ford question, though. :facepalm:

Lincoln design must surprise the **** out of people ("Wow, I've never seen anything like it!"), so it must be super-distinctive in order for people to say such a thing. It's definitely a tall order!

The last Lincoln I thought was perfect was the Mark X Concept. It's still a gorgeous, breathtaking car. It was the most refined concept under Gerry McGovern. I'm not sure if they could have made it work on utility vehicles, though. The Aviator Concept was not attractive.

Not building on the foundation that was poured by the successful and now iconic 60s Continental was a massive mistake. They finally had a design cue that was uniquely and unmistakably Lincoln. It's like BMW ditching the kidney grille. Perhaps it should be part of Lincoln's revival to undo past mistakes.

I would have kept and refined the spilt-wing grille to where it gave the cars presence and didn't give them a pointy front-end. I'd also reintroduce the slab-sides, with or without the chrome shoulder line. Actually, the current concept could be easily modified. Simply manipulate or eliminate the character lines to get a subtle slab-sided look (really "clean-sided", not true slab-sided), give it a crisper look, and put an all-new interpretation of the split-wing face on.

I know what car you want: the Lincoln Sentinel!
View attachment 16601
View attachment 16609

Attachments

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Km

I know what car you want: the Lincoln Sentinel!
View attachment 16601
View attachment 16609
Yes!

I'd really love to see an updated version of it. The Sentinel proves how much you can do with the split-wing.

I like the idea of taking the most prominent design cues from each classic Continental and bringing them together to create a distinctive Lincoln DNA. Jack Telnack was the one came up with that idea. He should be running Lincoln design!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Agree with what you said. Can't answer the Edsel Ford question, though...
wiki: "In 1938, he commissioned a custom design from the chief stylist, Eugene T. "Bob" Gregorie, ready for Edsel's March 1939 vacation."
so imho the trip was a year or 2 before - wonder where & how the pre-war design/fashion hot-bed enters into it?? ie beyond automobiles

...Not building on the foundation that was poured by the successful and now iconic 60s Continental was a massive mistake...
well, I think that other than the overly blocky 1st gen Panther (1980), the TownCar kept some of the DNA going until the 3rd gen (1998)((which I never warmed up to))
so
the "genes haven't been recessive" for all That long

...I would have kept and refined the spilt-wing grille to where it gave the cars presence and didn't give them a pointy front-end. I'd also reintroduce the slab-sides, with or without the chrome shoulder line. Actually, the current concept could be easily modified...
agree
ALTHO...
about the pointy front

- it's grown on me so much I hafta wonder if it could be a legitimate case of strong/high Design taking 'work'&Time to appreciate?
- am sure Max's horizontal slat DETAILING would captivate at least as well without the split(-wing);
- probably even without being horizontal!! ...tho have come to the conclusion recently that the side-to-side orientation does MAKE that detailing easier to achieve & showcase (see Sentinel^)(still like my chessboard ideas < WHICH imho has an 'echo' in the StarShadow
)
(( aside: I'd LOVE to know WHO contributed to that sorta-WOVEN design! ))

...Lincoln design must surprise the **** out of people ("Wow, I've never seen anything like it!"), so it must be super-distinctive in order for people to say such a thing. It's definitely a tall order!...
just-imho, thinking more of an Armani suit for a comparison
classic-yet-modern and NOT outlandish but with an identity so strong the average consumer will claim to recognize it even if they can't/don't :D
...this has to do with my gradual-development fixation since I rank Taste/tastefulness before 'new-ness'...IN the styling of umm 'durable goods' - esp machines

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...(still like my chessboard ideas < WHICH imho has an 'echo' in the StarShadow
)
(( aside: I'd LOVE to know WHO contributed to that sorta-WOVEN design! ))...
not sure when I'll get time to link the Z grille chops from the Mission
but
speaking of Sentinel
here's an Oooooold beginner's LincStang chop (sorry for poor image - original from back then was TINY)

o'course average monitor display back then was 800x600 :angel

edit
imho it's easy to imagine the StarShadow grille plugged into that old chop

Attachments

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
compare with Sentinel = fabulous-imho & relatively unknown rendering by Joe Sherlock ...same ~1996 timeframe

imho the Sentinel was getting over a 1980s' spacepod-hangover
while Mr. Sherlock's is timeless

&
Links:
Mad Max & Sentinel chops in the MISSION
various Z grilles in the MISSION
and @ GMI
Yup. The design concept is what I find interesting, not the actual car. It was very typical for its time. The roofline is what I didn't like, and it would have looked tailored on a unibody chassis, instead of Panther.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
wiki: "In 1938, he commissioned a custom design from the chief stylist, Eugene T. "Bob" Gregorie, ready for Edsel's March 1939 vacation."
so imho the trip was a year or 2 before - wonder where & how the pre-war design/fashion hot-bed enters into it?? ie beyond automobiles
:thumb:

well, I think that other than the overly blocky 1st gen Panther (1980), the TownCar kept some of the DNA going until the 3rd gen (1998)((which I never warmed up to))
so
the "genes haven't been recessive" for all That long
I agree with that, but Lincoln design began losing its soul when Ford started consolidating the studios to cut costs. That killed their ability to put a lot of effort and focus into putting out quality Lincoln designs. They started looking similar to Fords with Rolls-Royce grilles.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I agree with that, but Lincoln design began losing its soul** when Ford started consolidating the studios to cut costs. That killed their ability to put a lot of effort and focus into putting out quality Lincoln designs. They started looking similar to Fords with Rolls-Royce grilles.
OK
now I hafta ask :angel for a timeline of Lincoln's design-works, including PAG's California 'vacation'...

...I know Max came on board late-ish 2010 (not long after Mercury went on hiatus(!)
and the new Design Center began forming soon after.

** just-imho Lincoln's soul (along with Cadillac's) started faltering by the early 70's
THO I might even say there were foreshadowings in the late 50's recession that killed the Edsel Brand
& afaIk contributed to the end of the Conti MKII

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes.

The 1970 Lincoln Continental was just a tarted up LTD. The 1960's Continentals were modestly profitable, but the 1970's Lincolns were very profitable.

McNamara almost dropped Lincoln because of the huge losses of the Continental Mark II and the 1958 through 1960 Lincolns.

The Lincoln LS was also a big money loser.

This history makes me think Ford will not take big risks with Lincoln.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
OK
now I hafta ask :angel for a timeline of Lincoln's design-works, including PAG's California 'vacation'...

...I know Max came on board late-ish 2010 (not long after Mercury went on hiatus(!)
and the new Design Center began forming soon after...
re-arranged: most recent first

I blunder onto an unquoted article that gave the NEW Lincoln Design Center's opening ~ August 2011

haven't found when L-M left Irvine, CA yet...
(still looking)
...GOT IT:

Lincoln Mercury to Leave Irvine - L.A Times
The Ford division, which moved west four years ago in search of a new identity, will return to Michigan next year.
November 09, 2002
|John O'Dell

Ford Moving Main Office of Lincoln Mercury to Irvine - google-cache of L.A Times
Automobiles: Firm hopes the shift will aid development of new products and reinvigorate moribund vehicle lines.
January 23, 1998|DONALD W. NAUSS and JOHN O'DELL

Mercury article I haven't read yet that looks like it has dates in it
&
a long article with a PRE-PAG blurb
Fortune: Ford's Hip Transplant How do you resuscitate an aging Detroit division like Lincoln Mercury? Move it to ground zero of car mania: Southern California.
By Sue Zesiger
May 10, 1999

"...As befitted Lincoln Mercury's stepchild status, its headquarters was huddled in downtown Detroit, about ten miles from Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn. The division's sales of 600,000 vehicles a year--roughly one-third Lincolns, two-thirds Mercurys--had been flat for years and amounted to just 10% of Ford's total..."

& editorializing:
600k =

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
The Lincoln face is very polarizing, It looks very "American" as many people I've heard describe it, which is apparently a bad thing. I assume that means they think it looks more aggressive or out of step with popular European luxury design. The new Continental fascia definitely brings Lincoln into a more European luxury character so it should blend in much better with the world cars. We'll have to see how it's executed on Lincoln's Crossovers and

I suspect the next Navigator might be the first to get the new look and MKX will be the last. I actually expect to own two of these MKXs before it's updated to the new look...it takes a good 4 years before we see a refresh. I'm sure it'll be tied to the Edge update, which could definitely use a more interesting face itself.

At first glance I'm turned off by the softness of the new designs, it seems old fashioned and not very exciting. But we're also in an era where all design basically looks the same and lacks distinctiveness.

It sounds like Lincoln designers admire Audi the most...as do I. But hopefully we see some of that Audi sharpness and technicality as well.
imho there isN'T anything Yurp-ish about the StarShadow grille - in fact the ONLY grille I can think of like that (ie a meaningful PATTERN) was a Mustang's (dunno which year or pkg)
the HLs might be said to be Yurp-ish in the '''amount of makeup''' they're wearing - a bit over done imhO
but the details are NOT like anybodyelse's

I almost believe FLincMoCo is giving up their anthropology-quirk (ie keeping a design fossil around until it feels prehistoric)
we'll see just how much Time & Momentum they WASTE "going forward"

I'm a little disappointed with the X's body-side styling - thought from the C that it was going to be a cool "plane-extension" ...through the ruler-straight shoulder line—that's barely there,
(something between a facet-edge and a daylight-terminator)
inSTEAD it just looks curvy

imho it's the APPROVERS

I've known a good number of Artists & Artisans - they doN'T want to copy anybodyelse - they're DRIVEN to do their own thing
(imho Max left Caddy for that
& I'm afraid he's networking like crazy about now...
...maybe even if HE is the one who thought up the StarShadow)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
imho there isN'T anything Yurp-ish about the StarShadow grille - in fact the ONLY grille I can think of like that (ie a meaningful PATTERN) was a Mustang's (dunno which year or pkg)
the HLs might be said to be Yurp-ish in the '''amount of makeup''' they're wearing - a bit over done imhO
but the details are NOT like anybodyelse's

I almost believe FLincMoCo is giving up their anthropology-quirk (ie keeping a design fossil around until it feels prehistoric)
we'll see just how much Time & Momentum they WASTE "going forward"

I'm a little disappointed with the X's body-side styling - thought from the C that it was going to be a cool "plane-extension" ...through the ruler-straight shoulder line—that's barely there,
(something between a facet-edge and a daylight-terminator)
inSTEAD it just looks curvy

imho it's the APPROVERS

I've known a good number of Artists & Artisans - they doN'T want to copy anybodyelse - they're DRIVEN to do their own thing
(imho Max left Caddy for that
& I'm afraid he's networking like crazy about now...
...maybe even if HE is the one who thought up the StarShadow)
The StarShadow grille motif is very reminiscent of European brands like Jaguar, Mercedes, Bentley, and Audi (primarily Jaguar). It gives Lincoln a much more conventional and familiar luxury car face so it can share that visual nomenclature with higher-end luxury. You'll also see how that face can be used to give the updated MKZ an Audi-like worldliness with a unique Lincoln signature. As Woodhouse said, Lincoln design is about smoother and alluring lines rather than aggressive fascias.

·
Registered
436 Posts
re-arranged: most recent first

I blunder onto an unquoted article that gave the NEW Lincoln Design Center's opening ~ August 2011

haven't found when L-M left Irvine, CA yet...
(still looking)
...GOT IT:

Lincoln Mercury to Leave Irvine - L.A Times
The Ford division, which moved west four years ago in search of a new identity, will return to Michigan next year.
November 09, 2002
|John O'Dell

Ford Moving Main Office of Lincoln Mercury to Irvine - google-cache of L.A Times
Automobiles: Firm hopes the shift will aid development of new products and reinvigorate moribund vehicle lines.
January 23, 1998|DONALD W. NAUSS and JOHN O'DELL

Mercury article I haven't read yet that looks like it has dates in it
&
a long article with a PRE-PAG blurb
Fortune: Ford's Hip Transplant How do you resuscitate an aging Detroit division like Lincoln Mercury? Move it to ground zero of car mania: Southern California.
By Sue Zesiger
May 10, 1999

"...As befitted Lincoln Mercury's stepchild status, its headquarters was huddled in downtown Detroit, about ten miles from Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn. The division's sales of 600,000 vehicles a year--roughly one-third Lincolns, two-thirds Mercurys--had been flat for years and amounted to just 10% of Ford's total..."

& editorializing:
600k =
Loved reading the Mercury article. Thanks 2b2.

Quote from the article. "Our immediate goal is to give our dealers the products they need to get
Mercury customers and dealers excited again," says Hazel. "We want to send a
message loud and clear that Mercury is here to stay and poised for great
things."

If only that had proved to be true.

"We're here to celebrate Mercury
for its role in the Ford portfolio. That role is essentially the same as it
was in 1939 when Edsel created it. Mercury gives customers distinctive
styling along with innovative features and an expression of individuality that
they don't find in the Ford brand
. In price, Mercury products slot into the
lineup between the Ford and Lincoln products."

Ford Motor Company needs to realize that Mercury still can and should fill this slot in the company and it needs to return to fill it's role.

41 - 60 of 195 Posts