Ford Inside News banner

61 - 80 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Ford Motor Company needs to realize that Mercury still can and should fill this slot in the company and it needs to return to fill it's role.
First, until such time as they can actually manage to slot Lincoln into the true premium tier a revived Mercury would simply further muddy already muddy waters as Ford already steps to close to Lincoln territory. Second, even once Lincoln if firmly entrenched in the true premium segment Ford is more than capable of serving both the entry level and near-premium segments. Regarding 2b2's desire to see an electric focused Mercury revival I'm against it because I don't see any value in separating the good will that would go along with those products from Ford itself.

Ford should be built into a dominant entry-to-mid-level brand while Lincoln moves truly and uniquely upmarket. There is IMO little be gained from a third brand while the expense would be significant, a true lose/lose if ever there was one.

Thus my reply is as always:

NO!!!!!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
The StarShadow grille motif is very reminiscent of European brands like Jaguar, Mercedes, Bentley, and Audi (primarily Jaguar)...
hey Borg, I DID think of some brands besides Mustang with repeated logo stuff ... tho not cars
Louis Vuitton
Gucci
Yves St.Laurent (iirc)

imho there's a HUGE diff between Jag's std.mesh and the StarShadow
(see attached)
& only part of it is that it's not just the (whole) logo - imho the "shadow" aspect is BRILLIANT

Loved reading the Mercury article. Thanks 2b2.

Quote from the article. "Our immediate goal is to give our dealers the products they need to get
Mercury customers and dealers excited again," says Hazel. "We want to send a
message loud and clear that Mercury is here to stay and poised for great
things."

If only that had proved to be true.

"We're here to celebrate Mercury
for its role in the Ford portfolio. That role is essentially the same as it
was in 1939 when Edsel created it. Mercury gives customers distinctive
styling along with innovative features and an expression of individuality that
they don't find in the Ford brand
. In price, Mercury products slot into the
lineup between the Ford and Lincoln products."

Ford Motor Company needs to realize that Mercury still can and should fill this slot in the company and it needs to return to fill it's role.
I'm very glad you enjoyed the Merc article, Thomas :joyous:...
...I haven't gotten to it yet :(

^and>
First, until such time as they can actually manage to slot Lincoln into the true premium tier a revived Mercury would simply further muddy already muddy waters as Ford already steps to close to Lincoln territory. Second, even once Lincoln if firmly entrenched in the true premium segment Ford is more than capable of serving both the entry level and near-premium segments. Regarding 2b2's desire to see an electric focused Mercury revival I'm against it because I don't see any value in separating the good will that would go along with those products from Ford itself.

Ford should be built into a dominant entry-to-mid-level brand while Lincoln moves truly and uniquely upmarket. There is IMO little be gained from a third brand while the expense would be significant, a true lose/lose if ever there was one...
imho
FoMoCo needs to try re-inventing** the idea of car/cuv withOUT throwing in the towel with FordÜbar autonymous-taxis where All a common person OWNS is a F***Bike
(crossreference)
&
that re-inventing** pertains double to a new Brand ( CUZ the Ford Brand is full to over-flowing & thus conFusing imhO (imho part of our C-Max's problem is getting lost in the lineup) )
&
GEE, FoMoCo has been going gangbusters with electrificaution :facepalm:
even moreso for the ONE model they've allowed Lincoln to have!!

PLUS
there happens to be 3(THREE) major types of electrifying
- ordinary hybrids
- plug-in hybrids
- pure BEVs
also
those 3 go from from cheapest to medium to most expensive
so

3 "ranges" of vehicle emphasis-if-not-specialization can be done logically, understandably imhO

** whether it's called Mercury or not, I see the '''Small Mercs Theorem''' of premium vehicles focusing on tomorrow's requirements* as something that neither the Ford Brand nor Lincoln can naturally accomplish

* too late just now to go into THAT (again)

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think the "StarShadow" design could be carried as an insert seating area pattern as well.

Another item worth bringing up which could be part of a survey has to do with how the Continental name will be applied to the production vehicle: meaning modern block letters or traditional script as used in the '60's and '70's. My vote goes to traditional but i am probably outnumbered because the majority will want block letters. What do you all prefer?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I think the "StarShadow" design could be carried as an insert seating area pattern as well.

Another item worth bringing up which could be part of a survey has to do with how the Continental name will be applied to the production vehicle: meaning modern block letters or traditional script as used in the '60's and '70's. My vote goes to traditional but i am probably outnumbered because the majority will want block letters. What do you all prefer?

I just think this looks so classy!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
:thumb: :thumb: TurboS40

I'd definitely like a StarShadow perforation pattern more than the "linked L" that [BL] has

&
I too prefer the classic script :thumb:s
AL THO
(since imho "Choice is the greatest Luxury")
I wouldn't mind block lettering used on some optional trim-or-drivetrain

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
2b2 thanks for posting those pics side by side. I never noticed after all these years how similar the rear ends of the Mark II and Mark III were!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ YW :joyous: ...the luck of the googly
and even moreso the near matching paint color

- - - - - - - - - - -

edit
The Lincoln face is very polarizing, It looks very "American" as many people I've heard describe it, which is apparently a bad thing. I assume that means they think it looks more aggressive or out of step with popular European luxury design. The new Continental fascia definitely brings Lincoln into a more European luxury character so it should blend in much better with the world cars.

We'll have to see how it's executed on Lincoln's Crossovers and I suspect the next Navigator might be the first to get the new look and MKX will be the last. I actually expect to own two of these MKXs before it's updated to the new look...it takes a good 4 years before we see a refresh...
I'd really like to hear an ARTIST's opinion of
'''popular European luxury (automotive) design'''
- cuz I'm not sure there IS such a thing
- don't forget Citroën ! !
- firmly believe most people can't see past the pricetag/reputation to judge the LOOKS

re: it should blend in much better with the world cars
I keep seeing posts on how the MKZ looks like nothing else on the road - IN A GOOD WAY
&
I still believe a TRANSITION combining Max's horizontal slats with a soupçon of StarShadow pattern can be accomplished effectively AND might even suit CuvSuvs better
+ then
this WAIT-4-YEARS garbage has GOT to END

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The classic badge for me, please. Black painted body, red or blue interior. With all that chrome we saw in the concept.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Some observations I made today. The production Continental either has incredible camouflage or it has adopted new rear styling akin to the MKX rather than the Continental concept. Check out this comparison of tail lights.

PRODUCTION CONTINENTAL SPIED:

CONTINENTAL CONCEPT

PRODUCTION MKX

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Some observations I made today. The production Continental either has incredible camouflage or it has adopted new rear styling akin to the MKX rather than the Continental concept. Check out this comparison of tail lights.

PRODUCTION CONTINENTAL SPIED:

CONTINENTAL CONCEPT

PRODUCTION MKX
In that latest shot you can CLEARLY see how the distance between the front wheel well and front door gap has gotten smaller.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
In that latest shot you can CLEARLY see how the distance between the front wheel well and front door gap has gotten smaller.
What does that have to do with anything I just said? Also how/why is this news?... That spy shot is from the older set of photos.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
What does that have to do with anything I just said? Also how/why is this news?... That spy shot is from the older set of photos.
I never said it had to do with anything you said I was just making an observation, some have posted that the distance hasn't changed at all but in those shots you can see it has. Angry much?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I never said it had to do with anything you said I was just making an observation, some have posted that the distance hasn't changed at all but in those shots you can see it has. Angry much?
Nah definitely not angry. Just thinking about that poor dead horse! :p

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
2017 Lincoln Continental spied inside and out
Jul 9th 2015 at 9:28AM Noah Joseph

Lincoln certainly made us stand up and take notice when it unveiled the Continental concept at the New York Auto Show this past March. Showcars, however, are only worth so much if they never reach production. But as these latest spy shots indicate, Ford's luxury division is hard at work taking the new Conti from show floor to showroom.

The team from Dearborn has clearly gone to great lengths to disguise this prototype, wrapping it in a new type of camouflage with trompe l'oeil bulbous-looking shapes to keep us from seeing just how close the production version will keep to (or how far it may stray from) the concept's design. Our spy photographers did, however, manage to snap some shots of the inside through the side glass, and though it's still evidently some ways off from reaching production, some key details give us an idea of what to expect.

Look closely and you can make out the buttons for the transmission running down the side of the infotainment screen, just like on other new Lincolns. The chromework appears to have been toned down some from the blinged-out dashboard of the showcar, but it may be too early to say how much shine there will be to the production model. The overall design of the center console looks pretty darn close to the version we saw in New York, though.

The Continental is expected to replace the MKS, as Lincoln moves away from alphabetical nomenclature back towards actual nameplates. Assembly is slated to be undertaken in Flat Rock, MI. There are a great many more details yet to be uncovered, but as far as early indications go, it looks like Lincoln is well on its way to making its concept a reality.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/09/2017-lincoln-continental-spy-shots/
similar article: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2017-lincoln-continental-shows-off-its-interior-spied-89025.html

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
View attachment 16969

Ok gotta add this, Renault just debuted their new Talisman and for the crap people gave about the Conti ripping off Bentley they need to be yelling even more about this.
In a basic sense the taillights are similar to the Continental, but looking at all the pics there is not a single seeing person on the face of the earth that would mistake that for either of the Continental twins.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Really looking forward to this car. I'm stunned at how powerful the new 2.7 is, given its (seemingly very conservative) hp ratings. If F150s and bloated Ford Edges are running 5.7s 60's, I imagine the 3.0 in a similarly weighted Conti will be an absolute torque monster, which is just what a luxury car needs. Hopefully they'll go full boat and use magneride instead of their CCD. But either way, with the new rear biased AWD, it should be a hoot to drive on the rare occasions you want to flog it.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ not finding where I saw it but found an unlinked post quoting:
"CTS 2.0T with a tune (available up to 315 hp/330 lb-ft)"
(( edit: Cadillac ATS: 272 hp (203 kW) @ 5500 rpm SAE Certified ))
so
my '''upto 400hp''' for the 2.7EB sounds less unrealistic, no?
and 450ish for the 3.0EB...
&
wouldn't magneride be perfectly compatible with CCD?
just seems to me the magneride is hardware side and CCD is the control-&-user-interface side

Thanks for posting those, iculookn :thumb:

...the interior pix on Leftlane aren't working - for me(?) - other the in the main article page :(

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
View attachment 16969

Ok gotta add this, Renault just debuted their new Talisman and for the crap people gave about the Conti ripping off Bentley they need to be yelling even more about this.
The production Continental taillights are actually very different from the concept however. If you look through the camo you can see the shape of the lamps which are bent and curvy.

61 - 80 of 195 Posts