Ford Inside News banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
well, the nextgen, CD4.3 Taurus & (presumably?) the MKS-or-its-replacement will be on an enlarged** MKZ/Fusion/Mondeo platform;
so that sorta counts / done deal

Back to the same formula for the 88' Continental based on a stretched Taurus (mid-sized at the time).
Would make a nice Mercury.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Back to the same formula for the 88' Continental based on a stretched Taurus (mid-sized at the time)...
just-imho, yes & no

this time we're talking basing the Conti on an extended-length Ford, not the midsize Fusion
& (had to look up the old specs)
Conti had only 3" more wlb but a whopping, nearly foot'n'half more length

*IF* my Rwd idea is right (major if)
the length of both would be close to 200"
but the Lincoln's frontend would be reconfigured for several inches longer wlb than the Taurus to accommodate(actually take advantage of) the longitudinal engine placement - while hopefully reducing front overhang!

Would make a nice Mercury.
I'm (still) buying into the 'Small Mercs Theorem' for THE RETURN in 2020
imho
- Lincoln won't be ready for that kind of in-house direct competition
- I don't see the need for that many cars of that size ever again
- imho Mercs need to embrace their (inherent imho) 'alternative' nature

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Got a great look at the new MKC today.

Nice!!!

Should sell well.
Will it be called MKC or MKD?

I really hope it won't be called MKD.. that sounds like McDonald's

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
It's not radical at all, which I expected. It's pretty much what you would expect it to look like, starting with the Escape. A bit MKT in back and MKZ in front. It all works nicely.

If they can sell just 1/3 of the Escapes with this, that alone will more than double Lincoln sales.
SRX sells about 6K per month. That is 1/3 of ALL of Cadillac sales. But I expect good sales from MKZ too.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Here's hopin'. Lincoln needs to kill the stodgy perception that keeps haunting them. It's kind of deserved/earned, unfortunately, so rethinking the brand is inevitable.

There are a few people who are strangely deeply opposed to both rwd and a personal "specialty" car from Lincoln...but if Lincoln had the success to do something "MKR"-ish or whatever, I think that'd be a good thing.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Here's hopin'. Lincoln needs to kill the stodgy perception that keeps haunting them. It's kind of deserved/earned, unfortunately, so rethinking the brand is inevitable.

There are a few people who are strangely deeply opposed to both rwd and a personal "specialty" car from Lincoln...but if Lincoln had the success to do something "MKR"-ish or whatever, I think that'd be a good thing.
It will take far more than just a cool RWD MKR to turn the brand around, because sales would be small anyway. I was worried that they would put another polarizing design out there, like MKT, but it is not. Very clean, very Lincoln.

All they need is solid products that sell, maintaining great quality, and most of all, great service. Think about luxury brands and who uses the dealers, and that is pretty much everyone. Not like a Ford or Chevy, where people are doing things themselves. Lincoln needs to impress the customer, and I think they have a good plan for that.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Internal at Ford.

You should see it this weekend.
This weekend? NAIAS isn't till 9 days unless they are not debuting it at NAIS

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
HI2, WINGS!!
Press preview week prior, beginning this weekend. Always a two week afair.
don't know that - the NAIAS website seemed to say media days start Jan 14

'course since I'm in the Pacific timezone, no prob to be up this Sunday at 9pm

It's not radical at all, which I expected. It's pretty much what you would expect it to look like, starting with the Escape. A bit MKT in back and MKZ in front...
that's what I've heard
&
don't know if you can answer this deliberately vague question
but
Can you say if the MKC looks like Max Wolff had a hand in DEVELOPING its styling?
& maybe even HOW MUCH??
referencing: he changed the Z's front hardpoints to change the headlites & stuff

I've been kinda speculating that Max&Team are more focused on later new models
& even the MKC "leaves plenty of design surprises yet to come"
(hows that ^ for careful wording?
)

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
And btw, dumb subject thread title.

And I say this having driven the new MKZ, having seen the new MKX and MKC, and knowing what else is coming for Lincoln in terms of engines, tech and platforms.
you are talkin about the next-gen mkx or the 2011 model? do you know something about the next-gen navigator?

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
HI2, WINGS!!

don't know that - the NAIAS website seemed to say media days start Jan 14

'course since I'm in the Pacific timezone, no prob to be up this Sunday at 9pm

that's what I've heard
&
don't know if you can answer this deliberately vague question
but
Can you say if the MKC looks like Max Wolff had a hand in DEVELOPING its styling?
& maybe even HOW MUCH??
referencing: he changed the Z's front hardpoints to change the headlites & stuff

I've been kinda speculating that Max&Team are more focused on later new models
& even the MKC "leaves plenty of design surprises yet to come"
(hows that ^ for careful wording?
)
Missed your second remark.
The MKC looks very much like the MKZ in front and MKT in back. It is not radical at all, which is prob a good thing for this segment. It does wear the look well with the best proportions yet. It makes the current MKX look a tad awkward even. But new MKX is right around corner, and that looks best of all.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts