Ford Inside News banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln Design Boss Talks Reinvention, Rear-Wheel Drive

Ford’s Lincoln division is in a state of flux. This storied luxury brand has been neglected for decades but executives in Dearborn are finally starting to give it some attention. But don’t expect any drastic styling changes as they work to reinvent this brand.

Moray Callum, vice president of design at Ford said, “I think we need to progress the design language as we have it today… and as any design language it will evolve.” When pressed for specifics he said that going forward, “I think you’ll see changes big and small.”

Product differentiation is a critical way of keeping the brand separate from its mass-market sibling. “When we separate more the Ford from the Lincoln we can really push the brand,” Callum said, adding “MKC is the next stage in that, and if you compare that to the Ford Escape for example they don’t resemble each other at all.” In fact key dimensions like width and height are different between these two crossovers.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/06/drastic-design-changes-not-in-store-for-lincoln.html

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
from the article: "Product differentiation is a critical way of keeping the brand separate from its mass-market sibling"
that means different interior, exterior, tech, etc.!

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the big question on everyone’s mind is whether Lincoln will ever get any rear-wheel-drive cars. The brand-new 2015 Mustang seems like a no-brainer but not surprisingly Ford executives aren’t commenting on future product plans.

“We talk a lot about rear-wheel drive from a design perspective. What we actually really like is rear-wheel-drive proportions,” Callum noted. Continuing he said, “But it doesn’t necessarily need to be the rear-wheel drive that gives you that, you can work on all-drive technology to give you that kind of proportion.”

Front- and all-wheel-drive architectures generally run contrary to the established norms of the luxury segment where rear-drive is key. However, Audi is a perfect example of the successful implementation of this strategy. The German luxury brand shares all kinds of platforms and technology with lesser Volkswagens but most customers are probably unaware of this fact.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Ford/Lincoln will do a lot of interviews without actually saying anything. Every other automaker talks about future projects and will lay out product plans.

But what seems obvious is that the new MKS will be AWD with the ability to transfer 100% of the power from front to rear when necessary to match Audi. Just like the new Edge and new MKX. The current system in the Fusion/MKZ and Escape/MKC allows about 70% to rear max.

Now the question is how far will they stretch the Fusion/MKZ platform? 116" to match/beat A6/E-Class then a L version at 120" to match the new E-Class L for China and US livery market.

Since Lincoln won't offer up the details, we should just build the car ourselves:

- All Aluminum body and frame
- 114" to 116" wheelbase
- Standard Full Time Intelligent AWD
- Standard 3.0L V6 EcoBoost 320hp

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
in the article, Quote...

" SEE ALSO: Lincoln Plots New Models, Rebadged Mustang Possible "

:banghead:
:facepalm:

&edit
" Being refreshingly candid Callum said,
“We’ve not been shy from saying Lincoln is a work in progress.”
Products like the MKZ sedan, which (started) launching about a year ago "

TWO and a Half years ago
fixed ^
ie Z-Concept = NAIAS 2012
so
2b2-Years are 2.5 times the length of Ford-Years

:toetap:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
• Ford/Lincoln will do a lot of interviews without actually saying anything. Every other automaker talks about future projects and will lay out product plans.

• But what seems obvious is that the new MKS will be AWD with the ability to transfer 100% of the power from front to rear when necessary to match Audi. Just like the new Edge and new MKX. The current system in the Fusion/MKZ and Escape/MKC allows about 70% to rear max.

• Now the question is how far will they stretch the Fusion/MKZ platform? 116" to match/beat A6/E-Class then a L version at 120" to match the new E-Class L for China and US livery market.

Since Lincoln won't offer up the details, we should just build the car ourselves:

•- All Aluminum body and frame
- 114" to 116" wheelbase
- Standard Full Time Intelligent AWD
- Standard 3.0L V6 EcoBoost 320hp
• suits

imho we just have to accept this secretive/next-step-only Fordish communication style

• I really wonder HOW OFTEN the rear wheels GET that power... 1% of the time?

• imho-a, it's important to remember the Long Wlb Z for China
imho-b, it kinda makes sense to just "write-off" that particular size (for LINCOLN) and move on
to:

"Since Lincoln won't offer up the details, we should just build the car ourselves: "
:clap: :clap:
• here's mine
_ovl____wlb____w____ht________
194.1 - 112.2 - 73.4 - 58.2 - MKZ
197.1 - 115.2 - 73.5 - 58.2 - LWZC (Long Wlb MKZ for China)
199.9 - 115.2 - 75.0 - 58.0 - nextgen Taurus
200.1 - 118.2 - 76.0 - 58.0 - MKS(wic)MARK
which also allows
200.1 - 118.2 - 77.0 - 69.0 - Aviator
199.9 - 115.2 - 76.0 - 70.0 - nextgen Explorer (Galaxy?)
194.0 - 115.2 - 77.0 - 65.0 - AviatorSport
188.1 - 112.2 - 75.9 - 68.6 - 2015 Edge (S-Max, MKX)
183.7 - 109.2 - 76.0 - 63.0 - MKX-Sport
this arrangement & pairings sound good to me
& note:
the 3" wlb steps are just a 'thought-exercise' based on the CD4+3 meme,
actually measurements can vary

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Lincoln's growth will be as incremental as their product evolution, it just has to be sustained.

Lincoln is not a company for enthusiasts, that's for sure.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
RWD is coming. Many are discussing it at work.

But it won't be here in 2 years with a mustang hack job rebadge.
I believe Lincoln is looking with much bigger, clearer vision, and farther out as well.
I applaud them.

But in the interim, they will do the best they can with what they have.
And so far, I like what I see.
I am sorry that some of you don't.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I believe Lincoln is looking with much bigger, clearer vision, and farther out as well.
I applaud them.

Thanks for the info wings! I knew it!
I love what are they doing! I like the MKC and the MKX concept is the sexiest CUV ever!
don't condemn me for asking for a bit more :angel:tongue:

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I applaud them.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Thanks for the info wings! I knew it!
I love what are they doing! I like the MKC and the MKX concept is the sexiest CUV ever!
don't condemn me for asking for a bit more :angel:tongue:
Jose,
your desires are understood and even appreciated. I just take umbrage at those who have zero faith and confidence in Lincolns future, and express it often. I just think it would be simpler for them to just sit and wait, rather than denigrate. Or, if you have lost all faith, move along. Most here have not and don't dark clouds over Lincolns bright future.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jose,
your desires are understood and even appreciated. I just take umbrage at those who have zero faith and confidence in Lincolns future, and express it often. I just think it would be simpler for them to just sit and wait, rather than denigrate. Or, if you have lost all faith, move along. Most here have not and don't dark clouds over Lincolns bright future.
well I am waiting for the X, I just hope Lincoln doesn't make me wait for long! :joyous:
I check everyday for spy pics

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hey, I've been a Lincoln customer since 2000 and if you're a Lincoln customer this long despite the closure of dealerships, sudden product hiatus and cancellations, and wild swings in quality and pricing...then you know there is a reason this brand still exists. Now I may not survive the MKX hiatus (and boy will I be vocally furious if that happens), but in the end new customers arrive after the old customers are gone.

As far as RWD goes, it's a LONG way off and not a focus for Lincoln this decade. And no, there will NEVER be a Lincstang, you can get the farm on that!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

I applaud them.

Thanks for the news, Wings. Nice to read some inside news from Ford-Lincoln

·
Registered
306 Posts
There is NO NEED for rear wheel drive just to have it.

Lincoln cannot make the mistake that is plaguing Cadillac - offering pretentious and inefficient products and then bilking their customers for performance level products at $50-60K while their base models are pedestrian, cramped, and not luxurious.

Lincoln needs to really think seriously - with the advent of the Fiesta and Focus ST models, there is a tremendous opportunity to ditch the clunker thinking that is plaguing Total Recall Motors. Ford is proving that front drive is a great alternative and helps in packaging efficiency - innovations in LSD in front drive now makes what TRM is doing is a farce.

Lincoln has something with the MKc - a design language that is beautiful (unlike Cadillac) and doesn't compromise efficiency. Having those gorgeous details on all models with the flank bulges and svelte looks would really contrast to the stale Cadillac thick-bodied look.

The MKz really is taking off - I've seen more this month than I ever have - and in a wine and black color these vehicles are STUNNING to look at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts