Ford Inside News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln Executive Series: John Lawler Talks about the Brand in China
Lincoln

​SHANGHAI, China — With the opening of China’s first Lincoln stores just around the corner, we bring to you our special @Ford online feature Lincoln Executive Series for you to get to know the people behind the brand, who are helping to drive the success of Lincoln in China and around the globe. Launching this series is chairman and CEO of Ford China, John Lawler. Read his take on the significance of the Lincoln brand to China and vice versa, the journey of the Lincoln China team, key milestones we can look forward to and more in our interview with him below:

Q: What is the significance of Lincoln to China, and significance of China to Lincoln as a globally relevant luxury brand?
A: The Lincoln brand has stood for meticulous craftsmanship, fantastic breakthrough designs and a warm, welcoming, personal touch through its nearly 100-year history. We are so excited to bring the Lincoln brand to China with a brand new personalized luxury auto retailing experience called The Lincoln Way that will set Lincoln apart from its competitors in China. Building Lincoln into a globally relevant luxury brand is an important part of our One Ford plan. Lincoln’s success in China is key to this plan. The luxury segment in China is forecast to surpass the luxury segment in the United States by 2020 and annual sales of luxury cars are forecast to be around 2.7 million units by then. Bringing Lincoln to China demonstrates our commitment to China and to the success of Lincoln globally.

The Lincoln Space Roadshow traveled to Shanghai from Sept. 26-28

Q: What are your thoughts on the journey the Lincoln China team has traveled thus far—from the first announcement of Lincoln coming to China in 2012 to the October launch?
A: We made the announcement that Lincoln will be coming to China in August 2012. On Oct. 23, 2014, we are officially launching Lincoln in China with the Lincoln MKC and MKZ at Shanghai Exhibition Center. It has been an exciting and rewarding journey! Along the way, we built a mock-up Lincoln dealership in Shanghai to research, test and perfect the Lincoln retailing experience. We also participated in the Beijing Auto Show for the first time with the global reveal of the Lincoln MKX concept and announcement of our plan to introduce five new Lincoln vehicles by 2016 through an independent Lincoln dealer network. Last month on Sept. 10, we reached another significant milestone: our first shipment of Lincoln vehicles arrived in China—a great achievement by the team, and a lot of working together in both China and Dearborn—and we are looking forward to the launch of the brand on Oct. 23 in Shanghai!

Q: What are some of the key milestones to look forward to in the coming months?
A: We are going to celebrate the launches of the all-new Lincoln MKC and MKZ on Oct. 23. We will open the first three Lincoln stores on Nov. 6 in Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou concurrently. By the end of this year, another five Lincoln stores will be opened in five cities including Beijing and Shanghai. By 2016, Lincoln will bring three more new vehicles to China—including MKX- a midsize SUV, a full-size sedan and the Lincoln Navigator- a large SUV. Together, these products will cover more than 80 percent of the luxury auto segments in China. More importantly, these vehicles will be sold and serviced in the Lincoln stores, which will revolutionize the luxury auto ownership experience in China.

The first shipment of all-new Lincoln MKC and MKZ vehicles arrived in China on Sept. 23

Q: What do you think the success of Lincoln in China will look like?
A: We are going to celebrate the launches of the all-new Lincoln MKC and MKZ on Oct. 23. We will open the first three Lincoln stores on Nov. 6 in Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou concurrently. By the end of this year, another five Lincoln stores will be opened in five cities including Beijing and Shanghai. By 2016, Lincoln will bring three more new vehicles to China—including MKX- a midsize SUV, a full-size sedan and the Lincoln Navigator- a large SUV. Together, these products will cover more than 80 percent of the luxury auto segments in China. More importantly, these vehicles will be sold and serviced in the Lincoln stores, which will revolutionize the luxury auto ownership experience in China.

Q: Is there anything employees can do to help?
A: Absolutely. Our employees are the best ambassadors for our brand. The best way to help is to learn about the Lincoln brand and vehicles, and spread the word on Lincoln to their family and friends!

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Building Lincoln into a globally relevant luxury brand is an important part of our One Ford plan."

Lincoln is finally making clear statements about what they intend to do with the Lincoln brand.

"We are going to celebrate the launches of the all-new Lincoln MKC and MKZ on Oct. 23. We will open the first three Lincoln stores on Nov. 6 in Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou concurrently. By the end of this year, another five Lincoln stores will be opened in five cities including Beijing and Shanghai. By 2016, Lincoln will bring three more new vehicles to China—including MKX- a midsize SUV, a full-size sedan and the Lincoln Navigator- a large SUV. Together, these products will cover more than 80 percent of the luxury auto segments in China. More importantly, these vehicles will be sold and serviced in the Lincoln stores, which will revolutionize the luxury auto ownership experience in China."

So 'official' store sales will not start until Nov 6th. But I am sure deals will be closing before then.

Here is what the Lincoln product lineup timeline looks like:

2014 - New 2015 MKC and 2015 MKZ (Done!)

2015 - New 2016 MKX

2015 - New 2016 MKS/Continental

2016 - New 2017 Navigator

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If they are not calling it MKS here, then they are probably calling it something else in China. They are still calling it MKS in the US however.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
If they are not calling it MKS here, then they are probably calling it something else in China. They are still calling it MKS in the US however.
I like MKS, I think it is better than MKC and MKZ, sounds almost the same for me haha
Wings said that the MKS name will be gone
I can't wait to see MKS and MKX..........I wonder if the MKX will have the same interior as the C or a new one

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Lincoln referred to the MKS in its corporate timeline, but referred to it as a large sedan in the Chinese timeline even though they called all the other products by their name (like MKX and Navigator). Rumor has been that it will be getting the Continental name in China while preserving MKS name in the US.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lincoln referred to the MKS in its corporate timeline, but referred to it as a large sedan in the Chinese timeline even though they called all the other products by their name (like MKX and Navigator). Rumor has been that it will be getting the Continental name in China while preserving MKS name in the US.
It would be of great benefit for Lincoln to use the Continental name in China, since the name still has quite a bit of clout there, with no negative baggage like in the us around the Lincoln brand. But in the US, the Continental will need to be a level above the MKS/E-Class/5-Series and more on par with S-Class and priced accordingly.

Looking at the Chinese luxury car market, the volume sells are at the A6/E-Class/5-Series size range with L versions. So it makes sense for Lincoln to target that market with a Continental and Continental-L. While in the US, offering the MKS until a true Continental is ready.

Similar to offering the Fusion in the US and Mondeo in Europe/China.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
agree about the/a Name for China (cuz FoMoCo is SERIOUS about China)
but that sounds like surmise for the U.S.

my surmise for the U.S. is that *IF* the car is significantly better it needs-&-deserves a Name
+
getting it out of the MucK labelling would let the other MucK stuff be alphabetical by size

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I don't favor the return of historic nameplates, especially for Lincoln which is having a hard time clearing itself of its status as a historic relic. Using the Continental nameplate has very little meaning to modern luxury customers and the car itself certainly won't resemble that nameplate in anyway. It would simply become a brand within a brand. The uber sedan might be a luxury marque necessity by some pundits, but it's not an important segment anymore and Lincoln is very practical about where it wants to focus attention. It still has plenty of other vehicle segments to fill out, most uber sedan drivers would rather drive an uber SUV and Lincoln lacks that, I'm hoping their answer is not based on an F-150 like the current Navigator. That's why I'm hoping the rumor of a RWD Crossover has something to do with Ford's Expedition/Navigator succession plan...although I sincerely doubt it. Personally i want an uber Crossover/SUV from Lincoln, but there is absolutely nothing in sight. I'll just be happy if the MKX shows up in a timely fashion, otherwise I literally have nothing to buy from them when my lease is up in February. I could not have asked for worse timing, ha. I suppose it's alright, I can go find something else while Lincoln is building out over the next 2-years, comeback if I like what I see. Thinking of a Jeep Grand Cherokee actually, had my eye on that for awhile now and it options/prices out exactly like an MKX.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I don't favor the return of historic nameplates, especially for Lincoln which is having a hard time clearing itself of its status as a historic relic.

Using the Continental nameplate has very little meaning to modern luxury customers and the car itself certainly won't resemble that nameplate in anyway. It would simply become a brand within a brand.

The uber sedan might be a luxury marque necessity by some** pundits, but it's not an important segment anymore and Lincoln is very practical about where it wants to focus attention. It still has plenty of other vehicle segments to fill out, most uber sedan drivers would rather drive an uber SUV and Lincoln lacks that, I'm hoping their answer is not based on an F-150 like the current Navigator.

That's why I'm hoping the rumor of a RWD Crossover has something to do with Ford's Expedition/Navigator succession plan...although I sincerely doubt it. Personally i want an uber Crossover/SUV from Lincoln, but there is absolutely nothing in sight. I'll just be happy if the MKX shows up in a timely fashion, otherwise I literally have nothing to buy from them when my lease is up in February. I could not have asked for worse timing, ha.

I suppose it's alright, I can go find something else while Lincoln is building out over the next 2-years, comeback if I like what I see. Thinking of a Jeep Grand Cherokee actually, had my eye on that for awhile now and it options/prices out exactly like an MKX.
** like China

imho, "Continental" ranks up there with Tiffany, Dom Perignon, Chanel, if not Quite the 100 year+ RollsRoyce.
& I don't give a 'fig' if the new-rich fatcats don't know it - they WILL.
That said,
I wouldn't want to re-use any other Lincoln Names - 'cept sorta-maybe MARK (tho I don't exactly consider that a Name and do consider it ruined for it's previous status)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lincoln needs to use the Continental name again just make the car count here in the USA. MKC, MKX, MKZ and MKT are just stupid be different Lincoln give your cars names again. Be American Lincoln not Audi or BMW keep Lincoln American down to the names. I want real American names back and since you do not sell in Europe stop with the MK stuff already.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for the info BORG even though it breaks my heart a little to read it. (LOL) I would love to see a large Lincoln with the Continental name here in the U.S. However, if this new car is actually the size and has the right stuff to compete with the S-Class and friends. Also, if Lincoln is going to keep the MK theme then MKS makes sense. Somewhat anyway, "MKS vs S-Class"? Maybe some of the customers in this market can make the connection.

·
Registered
761 Posts
imho, "Continental" ranks up there with Tiffany, Dom Perignon, Chanel, if not Quite the 100 year+ RollsRoyce.
& I don't give a 'fig' if the new-rich fatcats don't know it - they WILL.
That said,
I wouldn't want to re-use any other Lincoln Names - 'cept sorta-maybe MARK (tho I don't exactly consider that a Name and do consider it ruined for it's previous status)
2b2 I respectfully disagree. If we could somehow get Continental back in the line up I wouldn't mind seeing a Continental Mark V sitting next to it in the showroom. I also like the idea of using Premiere for a small (think ATS) entry level luxury sedan, coupe and cabriolet. Since Lincoln hasn't dipped it's toes into the small sedan market, the name Premiere seems to fit (IMHO).
View attachment 10338 View attachment 10346

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I would love to see a large Lincoln with the Continental name here in the U.S. However, if this new car is actually the size and has the right stuff to compete with the S-Class and friends...
2b2 I respectfully disagree. If we could somehow get Continental back in the line up I wouldn't mind seeing a Continental Mark V sitting next to it in the showroom. I also like the idea of using Premiere for a small (think ATS) entry level luxury sedan, coupe and cabriolet. Since Lincoln hasn't dipped it's toes into the small sedan market, the name Premiere seems to fit (IMHO).
s'ok, scford :joyous:
I just don't think of "ordinal" words as Names
and want something more individualistic than "mark" (one of a series) and "premiere" (first)
and
I have a few concerns with Ford's thought process regarding their...
...'large sedan' plans:
*IF* a Continental shows up in China and Not the U.S., imho they won't be able to "get away with" that!!

so I hope FLincMoCo reeaally has its act together and is strenuously REACHING HIGHER ... it they don't want to find out how BACKLASH feels up-close & personal
re-

((don't know if you've seen me say this but
I *Like* using MARK for a direct-nextgen-MKS IF that's part of what they're doing

cuz
- it needs some rehabilitation to Name-hood
- as the top of the MK-series, MARK avoids a Letter and so won't DE-alphbetize the size sequence of C-(E)-X-Z >> MARK

what I can't figure out yet is how a large non-MK (ie Conti) and a large nextgen"MKS"(wic) can co-exist without having their own individual roles carved out for them...
by which I mean they NEED to be able to be sold side-by-side due to being different & vice versa:
they need to so different anyway that there's no reason they couldn't be sold side-by-side
ergo my rant for electrifying the MKS(wic)...
...and of course where they'll be built))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts