Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I may or may not be alone on this but I actually really like the styling of those early 90s Continental. Even though they were FWD they still LOOKED the part of a far more expensive car and could go head to head with Mercedes. What was interesting when I was very young I was still a total car nut and knew the Town Car was based on the Crown Vic but never knew the Conti was based on the Taurus till many years later. I think they did a wonderful job with platform sharing back then... Longer wheelbase, wider stance, many more amenities in the Conti vs Taurus, A V8 (later on at first they shared V6s), and the Conti had a far more advanced suspension.

vs

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
again via Lincoln @ facebook,
...a milestone from March 27, 1934:
The 1934 Lincoln Brunn had several different model configurations to choose from: touring, sedan, coupe, convertible, or limousine.
A cool 740 were produced.

900x709

I'd really love to see more photos of this car - if anyone has the time to look for (modern?restored, color!) pix

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

2048x1638

Lincoln Motor Company
The 1950 and 1939 Presidential convertibles
July 3, 1950
Preparing for tomorrow, a blast from the past. The 1950 and 1939 Presidential convertibles get ready for a special occasion with President Truman. The open-top convertible was used as a parade car by Presidents Roosevelt and Truman through 1950.

fb Link

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Great photo of the Mark Series....Is this just one side of the Photo (I don't have a face book account)...It would be cool if the other half showed the Mark V, VI, VII, and VIII facing them....and the new for 2017 Mark IX right in the middle, facing forward.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great photo of the Mark Series....Is this just one side of the Photo (I don't have a face book account)...It would be cool if the other half showed the Mark V, VI, VII, and VIII facing them....and the new for 2017 Mark IX right in the middle, facing forward.
dunno, L.R.
but afaik the picture originally came from bi.gazeta.pl
which I don't have time or bandwidth to explore

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
via Edward M Fiore posting to ‎The Classic Lincoln and Continental Appreciation Society
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
& in honor of the evolution & Heritage 'of' [BlackLabel] . . .

Curbside Classic: 1976 Continental Mark IV
Givenchy Edition – Aqua Couture
By Tom Klockau
August 31, 2012

Thirty-five years ago the Personal Luxury car was in its prime...
...the Mark did very well, selling 48,591 units despite its stiff $8,640 sticker. It sold remarkably better than the ’71 Mark III, which found 27,091 buyers. Period ads proclaimed, “In all the 1970s, this will be the unique American car.” Although the Mark hadn’t exactly invented the personal luxury segment, the ad was correct as far as it went. The Mark IV and Eldorado were the top two luxury cars in America. That fact, and several memorable Motor Trend “King of the Hill” comparison tests, prompted many middle-class buyers who couldn’t afford the real thing to go for “mini-Mark” Cougars, Montego MX Broughams and Ford Elites. And that oval opera window (optional in ’72, but so popular it became standard in ’73) would be a prominent Lincoln cue through the end of the decade.

As the ’70s wore on, the Mark IV remained a popular choice among luxury coupes, with sales zooming to 69,437 in 1973. Even in 1974, with Gas Crisis I in full swing, sales totaled 57,316–more than in 1972, despite that it was basically the same car. What, then, could be done to keep consumer interest high? Special editions, of course!

First up was the Silver Luxury Group Mark IV for 1973. As you might expect, it featured metallic silver paint with a silver Cavalry Twill vinyl roof. The interior was cranberry velour, with leather optional.

The silver Mark continued for 1974, and was joined by (you guessed it) a Gold Luxury Group. Described in the ’74 L-M brochure shown above. these special Marks opened the door for even more “Boutique” Luxury Groups that further gilded an already well-equipped car. By 1975, there were Silver; Lipstick and White; Saddle and White; and Blue Diamond Luxury Groups...

...The Special Edition craze reached its head in 1976 with the Designer Series Marks, which went beyond the already quite nice Luxury Group versions. It was sheer, pure and simple snob appeal–and in the ’70s it worked perfectly...

much,Much More... and many photos!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Charlie Harris > ‎The Classic Lincoln and Continental Appreciation Society
generations of the Continental Mark series

from bi.gazeta.pl

edit/chronology-continued: forgot to post this one I call "sinister chic"

'32 Lincoln KB Dual Windshield Phaeton by Brunn
Scot Carr > The Classic Lincoln and Continental Appreciation Society

note: the 2nd (interior) windshield may have been photoshopped-out..
...can't re-find the original post with a 2nd, less-artsy picture
The picture of Marks I through IV introduced the 1977 Mark V. This was the first page of the 1977 brochure and the next page was a 2 page spread of the then new Continental Mark V in Silver or White. Will need to reference the brochure if I can locate it.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
^I agree with you 110%, 2b2! What's wrong with us?!?

The coachbuilders were the ones that made luxury cars special, not the OEMs. I'd love to see them return, too. The OEMs can't and will never afford to replace them, IMO.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts