Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Today on Autoline Daily:
No doubt most of you remember the Lincoln Mark series that started with the Mark I in 1948, all the way to the last Mark VIII made in 1998. Well it sure looks like the Lincoln Motor Company is getting ready to revive that lineup with an all new Mark IX. According to Auto Forecast Solutions LLC, a Lincoln Mark IX is slated to be built at Ford’s Flat Rock assembly plant in January, 2022. From the sound of it, it will be a low-volume niche product that could be a coupe or convertible. Of course, 2022 is seven years away and a lot could change between now and then. But as of right now, a Mark IX is part of Lincoln’s product plan.
Copying and pasting from the LLSOC. I haven't seen this yet personally but 7 years away?? Yeesh!

Talk about the distant future! What could possibly take that long? It's not the Space Shuttle fercryinoutloud.

note: foto is a couple years old...just to 'dress up' the thread
:nevreness: 2b2

Reactions: 2b2

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Lincoln Mark IX to Return

what a PERFECT story to replace that advertisement as the top of our frontpage :clap:
&
imho
2022 is total bamboozlement!! I expect this MARK to be out within a year of the D6CD6 Conti - at most
&
of course
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW is WILL THEY OR WON'T THEY
do SOMEthing with the current D3/4 MKS to keep that slot (between Z & Conti) warm until the REAL Intro date???

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have to say I have been heavily critical of Lincoln the past few years and no I am not sorry for that, they deserved every bit of it considering where they were and how far they have fallen. But I will say this... NOW it is starting to become really exciting to be a Lincoln fan again. I haven't felt this excited about the brand in a really long time probably since the debut of the LS and the sweet concepts of the early 2000s.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Wish I could find one with all 8 but for now this will have to do

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Another thing to note is this. 2017 is 100 years of Lincoln and 2022 is 100 years of Ford buying Lincoln.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

I am starting to see where they are headed with the design language of their cars. I like it a LOT. The "sheeted" car could be a 2-door Continental for all we know.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Yeah, well...I'll believe it when I see it. 2022 is typically beyond their product planning cycle so much has to happen in-between which is mysteriously not mentioned at all. I do think by this time frame Lincoln will be on its own and not shadowing Ford step for step.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Wish I could find one with all 8 but for now this will have to do

Some of my most favorite Lincoln's in that picture. This is fantastic news by the way. I just wish it would happen faster.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

It could be based on just about anything. That's a very far date. It's definitely not Mustang-based. If it were, we would have seen it by now. It could be CD4, though. The new Continental will be receiving its MCE around that time, anyway.

I guess that's another sign of Flat Rock becoming the new Wixom.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Not remotely excited. With the excellent S550 platform they couldn't come up with a Mark IX to add some excitement to their showrooms? There is zero reason why they couldn't have come up with an honest 6-Series/E-Class Coupe competitor while also bringing some excitement to the brand that nothing else outside of the Continental could bring. If they didn't have a capable platform on which to build a new Mark then I would understand, but with the S550 on the road there simply is no excuse IMO.

A legitimate Mark IX and the new Continental followed buy the AlumaGator would have been an exceptional statement!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

It could be based on just about anything. That's a very far date. It's definitely not Mustang-based. If it were, we would have seen it by now. It could be CD4, though. The new Continental will be receiving its MCE around that time, anyway.

It could well be 7G Mustang based, in fact that probably makes the most sense as S550 will be ready for retirement by then.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Not remotely excited. With the excellent S550 platform they couldn't come up with a Mark IX to add some excitement to their showrooms? There is zero reason why they couldn't have come up with an honest 6-Series/E-Class competitor while also bring some excitement to the brand that nothing else outside of the Continental could bring. If they didn't have a capable platform on which to build a new Mark then I would understand, but with the S550 on the road there simply is no excuse IMO.

A legitimate Mark IX and the new Continental followed buy the AlumaGator would have been an exceptional statement!
A platform without AWD is excellent? I can't think of a car that more directly links Lincoln to Ford than a reskin of a Mustang, it would be a monumental mistake. The platform is completely locked to the Mustang and can't be repurposed as anything else, it's not a flexible, or even new, platform. And who exactly is going to buy a reskinned muscle car at Lincoln? I can't think of any product more anomalous for the brand, they might as well bring back the Mark LT to make it abundantly clear they are not serious and are recklessly desperate for cheap thrills and attention. Simply put, the Mustang would make a horrible HORRIBLE Lincoln and nobody would buy it.

Anyway, as I've said, Lincoln very smartly avoided the Mustang for countless reasons and will have a proper coupe when they have the right technology.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^^^ &:

I still believe an S550-LincStang was planned
& I'm STILL not ruling it out
BUT
now I'm thinking that D6CD6 might be able to be the MusStang's nextgen platform as well

&
SP,
LincStang = 6-series (the 2door) AND XE+Tesla ||| **
also
decided today:
not aluminNavi
not AlumaGator
but ALUMINATOR :clap:

** still waiting for specs for the new AlfaRomeo

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

A platform without AWD is excellent? I can't think of a car that more directly links Lincoln to Ford than a reskin of a Mustang, it would be a monumental mistake. The platform is completely locked to the Mustang and can't be repurposed as anything else, it's not a flexible, or even new, platform. And who exactly is going to buy a reskinned muscle car at Lincoln? I can't think of any product more anomalous for the brand, they might as well bring back the Mark LT to make it abundantly clear they are not serious and are recklessly desperate for cheap thrills and attention. Simply put, the Mustang would make a horrible HORRIBLE Lincoln and nobody would buy it.

Anyway, as I've said, Lincoln very smartly avoided the Mustang for countless reasons and will have a proper coupe when they have the right technology.
Once and for all lets get the re-skinned conversation out of the way. I am not against Ford and Lincoln sharing platforms so long as the platform is of appropriate quality on which to build a truly premium vehicle. The S550 is far more capable of being the base for a modern luxury coupe than CD4 is of being the base for a truly premium sedan.

Neither the 6-Series nor C-Class Coupe are high volume vehicles, but they are high margin image makers. While AWD would be nice to have available on a Mark its not a deal breaker, never has been. If they can suitably differentiate the MKZ from the Fusion, MKC from the Escape, MKX from the Edge, and Continental from the Taurus then it's asinine to even suggest a Mark could not be significantly differentiated from the Mustang. An S550 based Mark would be a sports touring car, not a GT350/GT500 challenger so the muscle car statement is ridiculous.

Finally, BMW is co-developing a sports car platform with Toyota, will that be a monumental mistake? There is ALWAYS going to be a connection between Ford and Lincoln product, the only question is if they will invest enough to make them truly unique.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

^ I love how with any other Ford FWD platform it's a top hat but as soon as someone brings up a Mustang based Lincoln then it's instantly a re-badge and won't work.

I think they could truly make a new top hat from the Mustang for Lincoln but it may be too late at this point. That platform is pretty old as it is.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^ I love how with any other Ford FWD platform it's a top hat but as soon as someone brings up a Mustang based Lincoln then it's instantly a re-badge and won't work.

I think they could truly make a new top hat from the Mustang for Lincoln but it may be too late at this point. That platform is pretty old as it is.
AGREE, Andrew :thumb:......

......as long as they stretch the wheelbase to (near)match the 3er/XE/C/etc

1 - 20 of 82 Posts