Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Re: Lincoln Mark IX to Return

^ I love how with any other Ford FWD platform it's a top hat but as soon as someone brings up a Mustang based Lincoln then it's instantly a re-badge and won't work.

I think they could truly make a new top hat from the Mustang for Lincoln but it may be too late at this point. That platform is pretty old as it is.
There is NO question they could make a suitable Mark from the S550 platform. I would be inclined to make the 3.0EB or 3.5EB the top engine as the 5.0 is as Mustang as the horse emblem at this point. The Mark wouldn't be a muscle car, it's a sports touring car, or more accurately a magnet for younger buyers. In my mind an S550 based Mark aims for the 6-series and C-Class Coupe, not the M6.

If you want to bring younger buyers into Lincoln dealers none of the current cars, nor upcoming cars are going to do so in any significant way.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

It could well be 7G Mustang based, in fact that probably makes the most sense as S550 will be ready for retirement by then.
Typically, each Mustang generation lasts more than 8 years. Last two generations lasted around 10-11 years. The 3rd lasted 15 years.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

There is NO question they could make a suitable Mark from the S550 platform. I would be inclined to make the 3.0EB or 3.5EB the top engine as the 5.0 is as Mustang as the horse emblem at this point. The Mark wouldn't be a muscle car, it's a sports touring car, or more accurately a magnet for younger buyers. In my mind an S550 based Mark aims for the 6-series and C-Class Coupe, not the M6.

If you want to bring younger buyers into Lincoln dealers none of the current cars, nor upcoming cars are going to do so in any significant way.
I agree wholeheartedly I do. I just wonder bout how much time is left on the S550.

Besides SP I know you want a new Mark VII just as much as I do :-(

I still think that if 2022 is the correct time then they are purposely waiting for the 100th anniversary of Ford purchasing Lincoln. I remember a commercial from 2 I think it was I saw on youtube where they were bragging about how 70 years of excellence Ford has taken care of Lincoln or something bla bla bla

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

I still believe an S550-LincStang was planned
& I'm STILL not ruling it out
BUT
now I'm thinking that D6CD6 might be able to be the MusStang's nextgen platform as well

&
SP,
LincStang = 6-series (the 2door) AND XE+Tesla ||| **
also
decided today:
not aluminNavi
not AlumaGator
but ALUMINATOR :clap:

** still waiting for specs for the new AlfaRomeo
I don't think giving the Mustang a Mark top-hat would make a good Lincoln. It's not the right size for a Mark. It would have to be stretched to give it a decent backseat. It may be the reason it was canned or some other engineering constraint.

·
Registered
436 Posts

I don't think giving the Mustang a Mark top-hat would make a good Lincoln. It's not the right size for a Mark. It would have to be stretched to give it a decent backseat. It may be the reason it was canned or some other engineering constraint.
That's an excellent point. I had not thought about that.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

ahem:
...as long as they stretch the wheelbase to (near)match the 3er/XE/C/etc
tho I quite agree that "MARK" is not my first choice for any car smaller than halfway from Z to Conti
otoh
per my LincStang imagining (why doesn't everybody KNOW this already? :D ),
tho the sportsedan needs absolute minimum overhangs to compete with '''The Highest Volume Lux Segment''',
185.0" ovl; 111" wlb
'my' 2-door/coupe-cabrio lets the near-MusStang-HUMONGOUS-overhangs continue...somewhat
189.9" ovl, 111" wlb

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts

Today on Autoline Daily:

Copying and pasting from the LLSOC. I haven't seen this yet personally but 7 years away?? Yeesh!

Talk about the distant future! What could possibly take that long? It's not the Space Shuttle fercryinoutloud.

note: foto is a couple years old...just to 'dress up' the thread
:nevreness: 2b2
my guess...the photo at the top was a concept of the MARK IX with the split wing grille....now that they have a new grille, it is time to do another one :D

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ AND an AllNew magic platform :nevreness:

nruggiero said:
ahem:
2b2 said:
...as long as they stretch the wheelbase to (near)match the 3er/XE/C/etc
tho I quite agree that "MARK" is not my first choice for any car smaller than halfway from Z to Conti
otoh
per my LincStang imagining (why doesn't everybody KNOW this already? :D ),
tho the sportsedan needs absolute minimum overhangs to compete with '''The Highest Volume Lux Segment''',
185.0" ovl; 111" wlb
'my' 2-door/coupe-cabrio lets the near-MusStang-HUMONGOUS-overhangs continue...somewhat
189.9" ovl, 111" wlb
ALSO
forgot to point-out (nag) that there are NO vehicles in the (true) MARK size-category that are High Volume...

...or even MODerate Volume

...altho
the Autoline report did say '''NICHE'''

·
Registered
326 Posts

Ford once did develop the Mark VII and Continental off the lowly Fox platform used for the 1978 Fairmont and 1979 Mustang. But I don't know if the current Mustang platform is as flexible as Fox was for its time.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
New platform, please!!! Three wheelbase lengths. short one for Mustang, Lincoln C-class sedan and CUV.
Mid-length for MKZ and MKX replacement
Long for Mark IX, Ford Thunderbird, Explorer and Aviator.
Not too much to ask...is it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
One has to question this Automotive Daily item due to the inaccurate information in the first sentence. First of all there was never a Mark I, it was simply called the Continental. Also it did not start in 1948. The original Continental was approved by Edsel Ford in early 1939 with the first Continental convertibles appearing later the same year. The official first year for the Continental was 1940 with the production of the Continental Coupe and the Continental Cabriolet or Convertible.

It is unacceptable when someone writing an article cannot even get the facts correct. That puts the entire article into question.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ just-imhO, after watching more & more Autoline programs,
I don't think of John McElroy as all that precise in his speaking
+ he may have needed to reformulate what he (OR someone else) heard (in bits & pieces?)
tho
Good Call on that 1948 :thumb: ...Nuthin' was new in '48 afaik

New platform, please!!! Three wheelbase lengths. short one for Mustang, Lincoln C-class sedan and CUV.
Mid-length for MKZ and MKX replacement
Long for Mark IX, Ford Thunderbird, Explorer and Aviator.
Not too much to ask...is it?
mostly-agree :thumb:
I'd just put more emphasis/stretchability on the medium - from LincStangs thru Tbird/Explorer...
...I like the idea of replacing the MKC with a Mustang-related D6CD6 re-:thumb:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the idea of the Lincoln Mark IX though I want it to be traditional rear driven coupe/convertible. I seen some people here mentioning a D6/CD6-based Mustang that could be out then that could provide the basis of Mark Ix. Can anyone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the D6/CD6 platform a front-drive based platform? Why would anyone want Ford to use that for the next Mustang?

I do recall rumors of Ford considering designing that platform to be flexible enough to be transverse-front driven as well as longitudinal-rear driven but I just figured that... rumors. So it can be flexible enough to possibly be the next platform for Mustang and Mark IX? If so, that'd be great. While at it, they could make a rear drive Ford sedan to compete with Dodge Charger. The name be something like Falcon or Fairlane. :)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
^ ALL we have is rumors afaik, pffan
but
yes, what *I* meant was IF the D6/CD6 (we're not even sure about the name) is capable of ANY drivetrain orientation + be able to cover a wide range of sizes
Then maybe it could be used for the Mustang too
:joyous:
My biggest concern with this idea of a FWD/AWD/RWD all in one platform is will trying to be all things to all people mean they'll be less than competent? GM is making great headway with the Alpha and Omega platforms, they're excellent performing platforms while also being among the lightest in their class, could they do the same while trying to make them FWD/AWD/RWD capable? Ford is taking an already difficult job and making significantly more difficult.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The rumors make CD6 sound like an outright engineering miracle, ha ha. I still believe it's just a version of CD4 for Explorer and Aviator.

I believe Ford's stance on the universal platform concept is that it sounds good in theory but in practice it doesn't make any sense. At Ford, each new platform is now becoming an offshoot of each other, similar tech and systems but less confines to make it work with all. I would not be surprised if Lincoln gets a variant of a Ford platform for it's next C/D cars and Crossovers.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
just-imhO
My biggest concern with this idea of a FWD/AWD/RWD all in one platform is will trying to be all things to all people mean they'll be less than competent? ... Ford is taking an already difficult job and making significantly more difficult.
"architecture"
The rumors make CD6 sound like an outright engineering miracle, ha ha. I still believe it's just a version of CD4 for Explorer and Aviator.

I believe Ford's stance on the universal platform concept is that it sounds good in theory but in practice it doesn't make any sense. At Ford, each new platform is now becoming an offshoot of each other, similar tech and systems but less confines to make it work with all. I would not be surprised if Lincoln gets a variant of a Ford platform for it's next C/D cars and Crossovers.
I won't be at all surprised if D6/CD6 keeps some aspects or even parts(bin) from CD4
which
I believe has some parts(bin) from both CD3 and EUCD

All I'd want is for many-many vehicles be ABLE to go down the same assemblyline
which
afaik has Not been the case...in practice, if not in theory

for example & to belabor the point :angel
COULD a FusionZ be made on the EdgeMKX's assemblyline without million$ to make changes('improvements')?
and vice-versa?
or
(since I'm belaboring) could a Taurus/MKS/Explorer share an assemblyline with a Flex/MKT?
even (& I doN'T know): Do the Edge,MKX;Flex,MKT use One or TWO assemblylines up at Oakville?

cuz-&-thus
my concern is largely for Lincoln to be able to Plan for relatively-niche vehicles...
...like a MARK

edit/shameless plug:
I'd really Really like for FLincMoCo to start building 117.9" wlb Mark & Aviator precursors This Year! on what I presume to be an under-used portion of Oakville
re-edit:
(getting slightly worked up over something completely unrelated...) I see NO reason to continue building either the MKS or MKT, as is, effective immediately

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

The Mustang will always be RWD, so it's not too far-fetched to believe that any new RWD platform will be more flexible to accommodate Lincoln vehicles. Engineering a whole platform for one vehicle is pretty ridiculous; I'm not sure why Ford even decided to do it for the current generation Mustang.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts