Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Re: Lincoln Mark IX to Return

Instead of contemplating what may or may not happen with a possible Mark return slated, apparently, for a few years down the line, let me just bask in the goodness of this image.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"A melody can bring back a memory take you to another place in time" __ Clint Black __ 'State Of Mind'

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
436 Posts
^ Beautiful cars. Cars like that is what Lincoln needs now.

·
Registered
618 Posts
^ Beautiful cars. Cars like that is what Lincoln needs now.
Beautiful, yes, but they wallowed like schooners on choppy seas on anything but flat, straight roads. That can stay in the past.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Beautiful, yes, but they wallowed like schooners on choppy seas on anything but flat, straight roads. That can stay in the past.
Not necessarily with the Mark VIII that did have an adjustable suspension and firmed up at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The Mark VIII is still a beautiful car today, the rare occasion I see a nice one I cant help but to stand in awe of it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I personally thought the Continental concept should've been the Mark VIIII, it resembles it more than any other Lincoln of the past outside of the 4 doors.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I personally thought the Continental concept should've been the Mark VIIII, it resembles it more than any other Lincoln of the past outside of the 4 doors.
I believe you mean IX ;)

I one
II two
III three
IV four
V five
VI six
VII seven
VIII eight
IX nine
X ten

I do agree somewhat. The headlight shape of the Conti concept and location next to the grille is similar to the Mark VIII. But that is still no Mark. Marks were always 2 doors except the really rare 4 door Mark VI and the forgotten Marks of the late 50s.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I just wanted to add this photo here. This is by far my most favorite.

View attachment 18249
I remember when I turned 16 my mom let me drive hers. I just remember it being smooth, a little floaty, but comfortable as it gets. It wasnt fast by any means, but you could just feel the torque of the big 460, it just kind of effortlessly pulled. Car was cool as can be, it had a factory CB (mom never used, but kept because original equip), the armrest flipped up and had an umbrella and there was a tool set in the trunk in a leather like pounch. Car was just cool as ****, only thing I will say is when driving it looking over the long hood I kinda knew what it was like running an oil tanker with the bridge waaaaay back at the stern.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I believe you mean IX ;)

I one
II two
III three
IV four
V five
VI six
VII seven
VIII eight
IX nine
X ten

I do agree somewhat. The headlight shape of the Conti concept and location next to the grille is similar to the Mark VIII. But that is still no Mark. Marks were always 2 doors except the really rare 4 door Mark VI and the forgotten Marks of the late 50s.

Yes. A 4 door Mark would not be something new:

View attachment 18273

And with the 4 door coupe trend for luxury brands, a 4 door could be a good Mark IX.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes. A 4 door Mark would not be something new:

View attachment 18273

And with the 4 door coupe trend for luxury brands, a 4 door could be a good Mark IX.
I would welcome a nicely designed "Four Door Coupe" for the next Mark. With the extra doors it just might sell better than a traditional two door coupe. It would make a great halo car for Lincoln. IMHO

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I would welcome a nicely designed "Four Door Coupe" for the next Mark. With the extra doors it just might sell better than a traditional two door coupe. It would make a great halo car for Lincoln. IMHO
Maybe a smidgen off topic, but since speaking of four door coupes I honestly see the MKZ going that route and adopting a coupe like roofline which it currently has to an extent. Back to subject I pray they make a new Mark, something to really display all of Lincolns capabilities ala a cheaper S-class coupe.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Maybe a smidgen off topic, but since speaking of four door coupes I honestly see the MKZ going that route and adopting a coupe like roofline which it currently has to an extent. Back to subject I pray they make a new Mark, something to really display all of Lincolns capabilities ala a cheaper S-class coupe.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I just wish they wouldn't let the 'slot' go empty (Link)
D3/4 MKS² chop

rather than starting over in a few years

41 - 60 of 82 Posts