Ford Inside News banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think a Two-Door Lincoln will be unlikely, but a 4-door coupe would be interesting. The MKZ will likely move toward a roomier configuration to hit the sweet spot in that particular segment in the next decade so a 4-door coupe might be interesting.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If they do make a four door coupe, I hope that they call it the Mark IX. The MKZ, hopefully to be renamed Zephyr at some point, should always stay more of a mass-market, functional sedan.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If they do make a four door coupe, I hope that they call it the Mark IX. The MKZ, hopefully to be renamed Zephyr at some point, should always stay more of a mass-market, functional sedan.
I think Lincoln needs to be very careful about nostalgia fatigue, unless their only future market is China.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Should this said new Mark IX have a spare tire hump? If it is a subtle one like the Mark VIII I am all for it.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
The 4-door coupe is ridiculous and superficial. It's pretty much a marketing term for a sleek, stylish sedan. The Infiniti J30 and the 90s Taurus come to mind as sedans that could have been marketed as 4-door coupes.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Should this said new Mark IX have a spare tire hump? If it is a subtle one like the Mark VIII I am all for it.
I'd prefer being VERY subtle with any humping - like just *suggesting* it with the shape of the TLs - actually, the shape of the lid UNDER the TLs - like Conti and Navi

re: MARK
depends on what (& what platform) for me
if it's VERY well-done, I'm OK with a D3/4-drastically-diff MKS getting called MARK withOUT a number;
IF they intend to go Rwd and use numbers when D6/CD6 comes out, Then I dunno about putting it on anything "less"

re: 4-door coupes
well, since I *blame* the Germans *AND* find a LOT about their cars to be ridiculous;
I'll ignore the Term
so for the LOOK...ie LOOK/styling over function :: that's fine for Lux, much less for mainstream
otoh
I kinda wish the Z ...no, gotta start with Fusion:
Wish the US-Fusion had a sedan(more upright) PLUS the 5-door(more fastback)
Then
maybe the Z (with it's pano-roof) could be in-between
otoh2
I used to rant for a Conti+sibling, where one was upright and one was swoopy.
Never decided which should get the Name Continental,.....

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
The 4-door coupe is ridiculous and superficial. It's pretty much a marketing term for a sleek, stylish sedan. The Infiniti J30 and the 90s Taurus come to mind as sedans that could have been marketed as 4-door coupes.
Also, that sleek, aerodynamic "4-door coupe" silhouette is ideal for a true sport sedan body. Non-performance sedans would have a formal roofline. Some coachbuilders of the 20s and 30s used to have a special/appropriate body design for each type of car.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
The spare tire hump is for Lincoln what the Hofmeister kink and twin kidney grilles are for BMW...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm going to say no. For one that is referring to to something that will be lost on the majority of the customers. That and Lincoln is trying to be more modern, I don't feel this would help that. Lastly I am likely the odd man out, but I hated it on VIII. I think it just ruined the lines.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'm going to say no. For one that is referring to to something that will be lost on the majority of the customers. That and Lincoln is trying to be more modern, I don't feel this would help that. Lastly I am likely the odd man out, but I hated it on VIII. I think it just ruined the lines.
There are certain design elements that are a part of Lincoln DNA for sure. I think an important one is the full width or close to full width tail light. I feel the tire bump is important to the Mark Series even if it is extremely subtle it's just something that belongs. IMO though.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
The hump was originally about function over style. I never thought it should have been used as a styling element. It wasn't necessary after the first Continental, and I think most Marks would have looked even better without it. On the Mark III, it gave it a 1930s kit car look. It looked like an afterthought. Other Marks had a more toned-down version of it that blended in better with the rest of the design.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I see I'm late to this party but I'm glad to know this Mark IX is a possibility. It's an opportunity for the brand to get right back in the game with a Hot Rod Lincoln. It's been a long time since anyone has been able to use that phrase for a current Lincoln car. I just hope they get it as close to right as possible. I've only owned one Lincoln - a 1987 Mark VII LSC. I never did get to own a Mark VIII and now they're pretty much too old to interest me. It would be nice to get another opportunity...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
The hump was originally about function over style. I never thought it should have been used as a styling element. It wasn't necessary after the first Continental, and I think most Marks would have looked even better without it. On the Mark III, it gave it a 1930s kit car look. It looked like an afterthought. Other Marks had a more toned-down version of it that blended in better with the rest of the design.
I agree ...YET

considering the overall "aesthetic" of the 70's, I STILL like the hump on the IV-thru-VI;
whereas I do Not like the portholes in the C-pillars
(in all honesty, don't remember how I felt about those Back Then)

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I agree ...YET

considering the overall "aesthetic" of the 70's, I STILL like the hump on the IV-thru-VI;
The three things that bothered me the most on those two cars were the Rolls-Royce grilles, vinyl roofs, and the extremely long front overhangs. Everybody did the same thing when it came to design. I guess Lincoln couldn't take the peer pressure at the time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: Lincoln Mark IX to Return

^^^ &:

I still believe an S550-LincStang was planned
& I'm STILL not ruling it out
BUT
now I'm thinking that D6CD6 might be able to be the MusStang's nextgen platform as well

&
SP,
LincStang = 6-series (the 2door) AND XE+Tesla ||| **
also
decided today:
not aluminNavi
not AlumaGator
but ALUMINATOR :clap:

** still waiting for specs for the new AlfaRomeo
With no AWD option it will not sell well in snow winter climates, China and most parts of Europe and northern U.S. and all of Canada, which have snow in the winter months.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
2b2 said:
...I STILL like the hump on the IV-thru-VI;
The three things that bothered me the most on those two cars were the Rolls-Royce grilles, vinyl roofs, and the extremely long front overhangs. Everybody did the same thing when it came to design. I guess Lincoln couldn't take the peer pressure at the time.
which Two, N.R?
(for the record, the III and VIII are not my faves in general)

also
With no AWD option it will not sell well in snow winter climates, China and most parts of Europe and northern U.S. and all of Canada, which have snow in the winter months.
I'm not sure which car you're referring to, Harry,
however
regardless of vehicle or Fwd/Rwd,
imhO electrification (Virtual-Awd) is a noteworthy alternative to mechanical-Awd and even more so in the (near)future

·
Registered
160 Posts
N.R., I like your appreciation of the 1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe. My father's black 1969 Lincoln Continental sedan was my introduction to as a toddler, and facilitated my continued support of the Lincoln brand. :thumb:

·
Registered
761 Posts
There are certain design elements that are a part of Lincoln DNA for sure. I think an important one is the full width or close to full width tail light. I feel the tire bump is important to the Mark Series even if it is extremely subtle it's just something that belongs. IMO though.
Andrew I couldn't agree more. I also feel the tire bump design detail should continue but only on the Mark Series please. For example, the beautiful Lincoln Continental Concept would not be a good candidate for the tire bump, IMHO. I love the full width tail lights but I wouldn't mind if Lincoln designers expanded on this design trait and gave us something new and exciting. 2b2 I believe you mentioned the "Opera Windows" from the past? Again IMHO, may they rest in peace, I'm not a fan.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts