Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
For it to be a Lincoln, it cannot share any sheet metal with the Mustang. So just adding a Lincoln face on a Ford won't work.

Now put the Lincoln face on something like the this, and Lincoln has a winner. Give Mustang owners something to aspire to on the Lincoln Sport side.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Too Mustang is right but that Lincoln front end does look good on it. Try a more formal, upright roofline, kinda Cougar like from the 90's and that mights do it.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
A Mustang based Lincoln needs to be different, completly different. Is not the 1979 Mercury Capri . If Lincoln will make a coupe, must be a Mark series succesor.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
A Mustang based Lincoln needs to be different, completly different. Is not the 1979 Mercury Capri . If Lincoln will make a coupe, must be a Mark series succesor.
altho
-- I have other plans that I'd prefer for the Name "MARK"
-- & really doubt a 'MARK-sized' coupe would work off the S550 platform
I agree about different ...truly different :thumb:

thinking what my DEMANDS:angel thru preferences would be:

NoCompromise = longer wheelbase (if not, forget it!)
BOTH sportsedan & coupecabrio ...or sedan, coupe AND poptop**(if not, they'll regret it!)
no bottom-drawer base engine like the ATS
all EcoBoost
some kind of electrification (NOT nec all/only battery'ed)
(Virtual) AWD (see new NSX)
&
** I'd prefer a 3rd bodystyle be a sportwagon

·
Registered
123 Posts
I like the idea, but I hope Lincoln doesn't go there until the lineup is otherwise bringing in serious profits. Look at Cadillac -- dealers will soon have 3 coupes to peddle, none of which are going to do much of anything to the bottom line. All those development dollars spent, and yet they have nothing to go head-to-head with the MKC.

Right now, Lincoln needs volume cars. Both for the income, and to put the Lincoln face out there on the streets.

·
Registered
607 Posts
In the big dollars world of big business, does making a Lincoln convertible, coupe, and sedan version of the Mustang demand a big budget? What I mean is is it doable now? A halo car for a reasonable price to make could help Lincoln a lot as long as they don't make the mistake that Cadillac has done by trying to compete too high in the market (Allante and XLR come to mind; maybe LTS, too. We'll see).

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
In the big dollars world of big business, does making a Lincoln convertible, coupe, and sedan version of the Mustang demand a big budget? What I mean is is it doable now? A halo car for a reasonable price to make could help Lincoln a lot as long as they don't make the mistake that Cadillac has done by trying to compete too high in the market (Allante and XLR come to mind; maybe LTS, too. We'll see).
strictly-just-imho, T'Cal
if FLincMoCo just re-skinned the Mustang (coupe & 'vert) it would cost so little it could practically flop and still show a profit
&
imho it WOULD flop
and maybe take Lincoln with it

Adding a sportsedan, otoh, would require a near-complete make-over imho
-- too bad for FLincky that it's the minimum price of being taken seriously, and
-- that's where my demand for a longer wheelbase comes from (the Mustang's wlb is 3.5" shorter than the 3-series, even tho its overhangs make it almost 6" longer), and
-- if they stretch the wheelbase for a sportsedan (& learn to produce interior room from that), I figure they may as well use that wlb for the 2-door, too.

Then,
I hope they'd learn (TO do and NOT to do) from what other mfgs are doing (more bad** examples than good** out there imho**) ... so an 'LS550' is as capable as possible

** edit
I'm almost hoping the Jagular XE will turn the segment upside-down!
and provides a "wave"(seachange) that Lincoln can "surf" to stardom on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts