1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln MKC Recalled to Move Push-Button Start From Near Touchscreen
Additional recall to fix fuel pumps on MKC, Ford Escape

(Old Position)

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. today said it is recalling all Lincoln MKCs built through September to resolve one or two issues that can cause the engine to shut off while driving.

One of the recalls, which also covers some 2014 Ford Escape models, relates to a mechanical problem that can cause the fuel pump to seize and the vehicle to either stall or fail to start up. It affects a total of 11,868 Escapes and 337 MKCs built in April and May.

It’s the 13th recall of the Escape since its redesign two years ago.

The other recall, which affects all 13,574 MKCs built through Sept. 9, relates to the design of the push-button starter and gear shifter on the MKC’s center stack.

“Due to the switch’s close proximity to other controls, occupants are inadvertently shutting off the engine while driving,” Ford said in a statement.

Airbags and other safety systems may not work in a crash after the ignition is shut off, a risk demonstrated by General Motors’ recalls of the Chevrolet Cobalt and other cars with faulty ignition switches, though the Cobalt used a key instead of a button.

Dealers will replace the vehicles’ gear shift module with a new design that has the start button in a different location and reprogram the powertrain control module.

A Ford spokeswoman said the MKC has been built with a different gear shifter since September but that the change was not related to accidental shutoffs. It was redesigned to match the rest of Lincoln’s lineup, she said.

The new 2015 MKC start button position already on the Lincoln website.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
D'oh, that explains why the buttons were different in the MKC I test drove this month!

But doesn't this also raise concerns about the location of other critical vehicle functions next to the touch screen? Or are these buttons smarter? I think it's safe to assume that when it comes time to redesign their interiors, Lincoln will eliminate these buttons and move to a knob like everybody else (just like they eliminated the touch controls). Much of these design choice predate the current administrators and I'm sure they will have very different visions going forward.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I never understood why they moved it compared to the MKZ. Now both will be the same, which seems like the most logical position to me (next to P). The MKX is supposed to move it away from the shifter buttons entirely, as was the case with the MKZ Concept.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I never understood why they moved it compared to the MKZ. Now both will be the same, which seems like the most logical position to me (next to P). The MKX is supposed to move it away from the shifter buttons entirely, as was the case with the MKZ Concept.
true.....the MKX seems to have it in the same position as the MKZ concept

·
Registered
500 Posts
On my 2 1/2 day MKC test drive, I never hit the start/stop button on accident, but I did hit it before hitting park, the car is smart enough to move to park on its own, and then shut off.

However, on my Volt, when changing "Modes" I accidently hit the start/stop all the time, its smart enough to know ignores my request.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think they wanted to move the start button to a more convenient/logical location like most start buttons which are closer to the steering column. I'm sure there are other factors, like the fact that this car is really designed to minimize the roll of the "P" button since it automatically parks when you power off. That's one of the great things about not having knob, you don't have to go through the physical motions to get to park.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I frequently get emails at work that asks employees to attend an evaluation session, where we give feedback on seat comfort, ergonomics, tactile feel or interface, etc.

I think I need to accept the invites and contribute more. I always give feedback to those. I love where my Explorer Start/Stop button is located. From the drivers seat, I actually can't see it, unless I lean in a few inches. That to me is perfect. I don't want to see it, until I am ready.

View attachment 11082

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You know the MKX Start button is still next to other controllers, and mirrored on the other side by non-critical functions. I actually think this is a potentially worse location for accidental use. It's also in a near horizontal position where parcels or objects can land on it. I'm personally not concerned by it and I'm assuming they've done their testing in the labs. It's also possible there will be last minute changes before production. But I'm absolutely convinced after this recall that Lincoln will move to eliminate this design scheme. The flow console idea makes less sense anyway with the move to buttons and knobs and the need to add more visual jewelry.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You know the MKX Start button is still next to other controllers, and mirrored on the other side by non-critical functions. I actually think this is a potentially worse location for accidental use. It's also in a near horizontal position where parcels or objects can land on it. I'm personally not concerned by it and I'm assuming they've done their testing in the labs. It's also possible there will be last minute changes before production. But I'm absolutely convinced after this recall that Lincoln will move to eliminate this design scheme. The flow console idea makes less sense anyway with the move to buttons and knobs and the need to add more visual jewelry.
I always thought the "mirrored" center-stack was to facilitate easier passenger use and simplifies Left & Right Hand drive for a given platform.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I think this is a silly recall

but then it begs the question of why they reversed the order of the shifter and start/stop button on the MKC from the MKZ.... what ever at least it will all be uniform now.

·
Registered
867 Posts
"Sure, let's put the START button on a panel in sequence with the SHIFTER buttons. No one is going to push the wrong button as they look out of the windshield. How did we miss the boat all those years when we foolishly put KEY STARTERS away from the rest of the controls?"

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this is a silly recall

but then it begs the question of why they reversed the order of the shifter and start/stop button on the MKC from the MKZ.... what ever at least it will all be uniform now.
True. With the Start/Stop button next to Park, with the vehicle stopped, if they hit Start/Stop instead of park, it automatically puts the vehicle in Park then turns off the vehicle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
True. With the Start/Stop button next to Park, with the vehicle stopped, if they hit Start/Stop instead of park, it automatically puts the vehicle in Park then turns off the vehicle.
It does set off a warning alert saying "Vehicle not in Park" if you turn the car off without first selecting Park (or if it has not fully shifted into Park yet). I assume this is to discourage the practice, even though the car still shifts into Park automatically.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm not sure I understand...are people actually shutting off the mkc's engine while driving? I assume that there is a fail-safe override in the event that the ignition button is pressed while in gear. If not, that's definitely a problem. If so, why bother with that recall? And 13 recalls on the escape?! I didn't know there was that many...the lady who cuts my hair has a new style escape and is fed up with recalls on her car. This won't be good if it affects her car again. :\

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Scorned beauticians not with-standing, the Escape is a great product and Ford has been diligent in acknowledging and resolving the issues. And truth be told, nobody is returning their Escape 13 times. Different engines, trim levels, etc. combined with what is typically multi repair visits to the dealer, means no big deal to most.

But then what do I know, I don’t cut hair for a living ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
It does set off a warning alert saying "Vehicle not in Park" if you turn the car off without first selecting Park (or if it has not fully shifted into Park yet). I assume this is to discourage the practice, even though the car still shifts into Park automatically.
Doesn't do that on ours (September build, on/off in the new location). In fact, we've gotten quite used to pulling into the garage and hitting off without ever bothering with park. Of course, part of that may be because the overly loud front park assist goes off about a foot before the car is where we want to park it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Doesn't do that on ours (September build, on/off in the new location). In fact, we've gotten quite used to pulling into the garage and hitting off without ever bothering with park. Of course, part of that may be because the overly loud front park assist goes off about a foot before the car is where we want to park it.
Sorry, I was referring to the MKZ. I'm surprised that the MKC would work differently though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts