·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln MKF Concept Could Make a Compelling Rival Against the Mercedes CLS

View attachment 3233

View attachment 3234

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/06/lincoln-mkf-concept-could-make.html

It’s no secret that Lincoln has been struggling on many different levels over the past years - if not decades, with one of the more persisting problems being that the Blue Oval's sole luxury standard bearer has persistently failed to deliver in the design department.

The Ford group's answer to this problem was the appointment of former Cadillac exterior design Max Wolff as the head of Lincoln's design team last year and the creation of a new 40,000-square-foot dedicated studio in Dearborn, with the new MKZ being the first example of Lincoln's styling revitalization.

Moreover, Lincoln is also looking for young and emerging talents from colleges and universities by sponsoring projects. One of the more recent Lincoln backed concepts that caught our attention is the MKF from Brian Malczewski, an automotive design student at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit.

We don't have a description of the Lincoln MKF Concept, but the styling and proportions suggest an executive size sports saloon in the likes of the Mercedes-Benz CLS and BMW 6-Series Grand Coupe.

After you take a closer look at the sketches and photos of the Lincoln MKF Concept in our gallery below, you can head over to the comments section to share your thoughts on the design.

Design / Photo Credits: Brian Malczewski

Attachments

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Cool design... can't see them ever building something like this however

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Maybe that is the point...they need to build something that people think they will not built.
I really
this way of looking at it!

This car is thirty years ahead of its time. Too futuristic for me.
meh - I don't see anything very forward-looking.

I see some similarity in the grille's center to my "escutcheon/cartouche" treatment
& in the slit "C-window" to my slit rear window experiments
but
the shape & proportions (esp the greenhouse) don't do anything for me

·
Registered
997 Posts
Lincoln would get noticed instead of being on ignore with the current offerings. Didn't Cadillac do the radical (compared to Catera) CTS in 2003? The CTS made people to take a second look. Lincoln needs something like this to gain respect. Who knows what can happen with the right engine..........

·
Registered
254 Posts
Technically I love the doors in the sketches. They are the magic tailgate of the 60s wagons! Suicide, gull wing and scissor.
But not much to like about the rest though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is hard to imagine that precise design getting into production. However, I like the intent and Lincoln needs to make a statement and be able to sell them. They have the quality and technology. I am confident they can carry it through. I believe Ford/Lincoln is really on the right track now. I own a 2003 LS V8 w/Sports Suspension and an 2005 Aviator. My company just sent me on a business trip and they rented me a 2013 Durango at destination. My 05 Aviator is still a better car than the new Durango. Sort of shocked me and I appreciate my Aviator even more. I still love my LS which handles great and is very responsive. Clearly Ford/Lincoln can compete with any manufacturer including BMW when they decide to.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It is hard to imagine that precise design getting into production. However, I like the intent and Lincoln needs to make a statement and be able to sell them. They have the quality and technology. I am confident they can carry it through. I believe Ford/Lincoln is really on the right track now. I own a 2003 LS V8 w/Sports Suspension and an 2005 Aviator. My company just sent me on a business trip and they rented me a 2013 Durango at destination. My 05 Aviator is still a better car than the new Durango. Sort of shocked me and I appreciate my Aviator even more. I still love my LS which handles great and is very responsive. Clearly Ford/Lincoln can compete with any manufacturer including BMW when they decide to.
There was a point when Detroit could not compete with foreign companies due to lots of things from exchange rates and labor rates, etc stacked aganist them, that is no longer the case.
Watch what these companies can do now.
You know, I checked out the Durango when I was shopping for a car last November and was not impressed either. I did not drive it, but the interior was rather spartan for me.
I ended up with a 2012 Equinox... V6...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Clearly Ford/Lincoln can compete with any manufacturer including BMW when they decide to.

the Mustang already takes on the performance of the 3/M3
NOT ^ opinion...FACT
& a co-platformed Lincoln would have 'try' to not-outdo the 3series in Luxury

Does anyone know if Lincoln is working on any new platforms?
imho (& that's ALL it is)
SOMEone somewhere in Fomoco (F &or L) MIGHT know

seriously tho
I don't see Any need for any platform that's completely-new FOR Lincoln
NOR completely-exclusive TO Lincoln
meaning
I still believe in a Mustang-co-platformed Lincoln sportsedan and coupe-cabrio
+
a Falcon-'sired' GRwdP Continental
(& HOPE for Territory-'sired' GRwdP Aviator & Navigator)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
:thumb:
the Mustang already takes on the performance of the 3/M3
NOT ^ opinion...FACT
& a co-platformed Lincoln would have 'try' to not-outdo the 3series in Luxury

imho (& that's ALL it is)
SOMEone somewhere in Fomoco (F &or L) MIGHT know

seriously tho
I don't see Any need for any platform that's completely-new FOR Lincoln
NOR completely-exclusive TO Lincoln
meaning
I still believe in a Mustang-co-platformed Lincoln sportsedan and coupe-cabrio
+
a Falcon-'sired' GRwdP Continental
(& HOPE for Territory-'sired' GRwdP Aviator & Navigator)
Mustang is the sole savior of Fomoco's RWD offerings

Meanwhile a BOSS 302 will mop the floor with any M3 for about $15,000.00 less MSRP...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Is the next mustang on a new platform? I fear Mustang might be forced into an Audi like Hybrid AWD (from a FWD) set up... come the need for replacing the current RWD chassis...
I've seen discussions about

- how much carry-over or even just 'influence' there will be from the current D2C Mustang
- whether the front structure will be co-developed with a nextgen Falcon's

haven't seen any solid conclusions yet

(other than the nextgen Mustang will be SLIGHTLY smaller on the outside
and SOMEWHAT lighter)

as Ausrutherford said; these fears are completely ground-less.
I've speculated that LINCOLN might use front-only electrics on their future RWDs' top-trims
BUT that's purely/extreme speculation

1 - 20 of 26 Posts