Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln MKS, BMW 5 struggle in small-overlap crash test
Automotive News

Driver space in the Lincoln MKS was “severely limited” after the crash, the IIHS said.

WASHINGTON -- Luxury sedans from BMW and Lincoln were the worst performers in the most recent batch of vehicles subjected to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s challenging small-overlap crash test.

The BMW 5 series received a “marginal” rating in the small-overlap test while the Lincoln MKS received a “poor” rating, making the MKS the only model of seven tested in IIHS’ “large luxury sedan” category to receive the safety group’s lowest rating. The latest round of testing included the Infiniti Q70 sedan, which received the top rating of “good.”

In a statement, IIHS said driver space in the Q70 was protected “reasonably well,” and that test dummy measurements taken after the crash showed a low risk of serious driver injury following the crash.

The MKS’ performance “couldn’t have been more different,” the IIHS statement said. Driver space in the MKS was “severely limited” after the crash, and injuries to the driver’s left hip would be “likely” while left knee and lower leg injuries would be “possible.”

In a statement, a Ford spokeswoman said the MKS is a safe vehicle with systems designed to protect passengers and avoid crashes, and a structure “designed to manage crash energy under a variety of crash conditions.”

“Safety is one of the highest priorities in the design of our vehicles,” the spokeswoman said. “Our cars and trucks consistently meet or exceed government safety standards in the countries in which they are sold. Ford prioritizes tests that focus on occupant protection and provide real-world safety benefits.”

IIHS said it had planned to test the Audi A6, Cadillac CTS and Lexus GS along with the vehicles in the results released today, but delayed those tests because automakers said they were making changes to improve the small-overlap performance of those cars. IIHS policy is to wait to test until such changes are made, if they are done in a “reasonable” time frame.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems since the MKS won't be replaced in a 'reasonable' timeframe(2017) it was tested as is, which is surely to slow sales even more for the ancient model. Hopefully this additional blow to the MKS will help Lincoln move up the production timeframe a bit.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I've been witnessing people driving on the wrong side of the road lately and witnessed numerous head-on collisions. The next sedan I get better score well in this area. So many people today are not thinking anymore. Texting and driving is soooooo dumb. Then, you have the drug addicts on the road. It's crazy.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So the problem here is that interior space is cramped........after hitting a rigid barrier at like 70mph.

Hmm.
Haha right!

I'm all for making vehicles safer but I thinks it's crazy how much time and money is spent on making cars safer as oppose to making people safer drivers. I think that is the bigger issue. I've never been in a car accident and I hope I never experience that and I think I won't because of my driving skills and knowledge as opposed to my older sister who isn't the best driver and had totaled two cars already.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The biggest issue was that the driver's airbag moved out of the way when struck by the crash dummy. If this could be re-engineered, I'm sure the results would be much better.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Did you guys know the MKS almost outsold the RLX by two times last month? MKS sales were at about 300, and RLX sales were 170-something. That's terrible news for Acura.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Did you guys know the MKS almost outsold the RLX by two times last month? MKS sales were at about 300, and RLX sales were 170-something. That's terrible news for Acura.
I think it is a small segment, smaller every year so the next MKS needs to be in another segment, more like the A6 and less like the XTS-RLX

1 - 20 of 37 Posts