Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news about the future of Lincoln MKT ? Am thinking of buying one in the UAE. Latest news on its future will help my decision. Heard rumors that, Lincoln/Ford might phase out MKT and stop production of the car. Any truth in this please ?

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Any news about the future of Lincoln MKT ? Am thinking of buying one in the UAE. Latest news on its future will help my decision. Heard rumors that, Lincoln/Ford might phase out MKT and stop production of the car. Any truth in this please ?
nothing confirmed but the rumors says that it will be redesign in 2017 based on the new Explorer (probably RWD)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I dont believe that RWD platform for crossovers rumors. Is not an intelligent choice. I think the next Explorer and the Lincoln based model will be build on a version of the Fusion's FWD platform.

The MK T name, for sure, will be phased out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
No facts from me, just wild speculation:

The MKT's replacement, called Aviator, will be based on the FWD-based MCE Explorer and it will come standard with the 285HP EB2.3L I4 with the 325HP EB2.7L V6 optional. I don't believe the rumors of RWD either. The current FWD/4WD Explorer continues to sell much better than the RWD/AWD Durango and many other RWD-based imports. Fuel economy is measurably better, too. What's the insentive?

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
No facts from me, just wild speculation:

The MKT's replacement, called Aviator, will be based on the FWD-based MCE Explorer and it will come standard with the 285HP EB2.3L I4 with the 325HP EB2.7L V6 optional. I don't believe the rumors of RWD either. The current FWD/4WD Explorer continues to sell much better than the RWD/AWD Durango and many other RWD-based imports. Fuel economy is measurably better, too. What's the insentive?
I also think that they should stay with FWD-AWD model instead of RWD.
Not sure if the Aviator is going to get the 2.3l.....I remember that wings said that the MKX is not going to get the 2.3l (maybe 3.7l V6 and the 2.9l Nano) so it is less probably than the Aviator gets the 2.3l

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ GMI/cc
just-imho
there's a 2.7EB planned for the SHO (if they still do a TaurusUS)
& regardless I expect one in the Explorer (& of course the Lincoln Zsport)
((the MKS replacement still gets the 3.5EB...upgraded))
and
*IF* they can get the gen2 2.0EB upto the 280hp it oughta have WITH acceptable MPG it could stay
or if a low(er) boost 2.3EB works better = s'ok (just hope that still goes into a FusionST before it's too late)

it'll be very interesting to see how the 2.7Nano and its still-unknown somewhat-larger version will be divvied-up

edit
re: a Rwd Aviator................
I have 2 scenarios
-- based on a nextgen/global Ranger/Everest ( meh ) OR
-- just one side of a GlobalRwd platform that MUST produce a Continental

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
IMHO the new Aviator has to be a vehicle as the MDX.......so far Lincoln is targeting this volume-type vehicles so I guess they should go after the MDX that sells 50k vehicles per year.
and
that leaves a space for them to make a RWD SUV like the Cayenne, X5 :D and use that RWD platform for the Conti!

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
^ yeahBut
imho a Ranger/Everest is practically contraindicated by a Continental on the same platform
& vice versa
ie they're just too different in their needs imho
forget about the Everest-Ranger, that can't be a Lincoln platform, the Conti has to be a special platform

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I also think that they (MKT's replacement) should stay with FWD-AWD model instead of RWD...
forget about the Everest-Ranger, that can't be a Lincoln platform, the Conti has to be a special platform
I agree ^these^ make sense (to me too), Jose
but
the main rumor we've had lately is kind of the reverse = all the talk about a RwdSuv and practically none about a RwdSedan

it'd be a great surprise if instead NAIAS showed a Continental Concept unrelated to any Fwd platform

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Apparently the MKT is getting a successor in 2019 based on the new D6 Lincoln platform. Unclear if that means MKT is remaining unchanged until then.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
[ rant ]

if FLincMoCo is "waiting" until 2019 (my OR cy) for a D6 "Treplacement"
imho
they should bite the bullet and immediately use the D3/4 Explorer (&or Flex) to get an "Aviator" out by the end of 2015
actually as far as I'm concerned they could dig out Stylefree/TauruX pieces and have Max dress them up
:clap:
Stop-gap vehicles are not well loved (think XTS and refreshed Navigator). A quick rebadge of the Explorer would be no exception.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ at this point I'm not sure which would be worse
-- keeping the MKT in production until D6-time :facepalm:
or
-- killing it immediately and doing without anything between the X & Navi until D6-time :facepalm:

&
if they cobbled together Explorer & Flex/MKT parts under a skin-by-Max,
imho that'd be WAAAAY better than a rebadge OR either of the above non-choices

just-imho

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ 2017??
-- too long
&
-- too early for D6, no?

Ooo Ooo *idea*

they could even take the new MKX and stretch it over the MKT's bones!
basically the X's front end + Flex's passenger space + a roof & non-grooved door skins

no problem even coming up with nomenclature = Lincoln XLG get it?

edit
- NOT a rebadge in the usual sense
- definitely a rebadge & improvement of the MKT
- wonder if the MKC's clamshell hatch could be made to fit??

BLOG'ed

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
^ 2017??
-- too long
&
-- too early for D6, no?

Ooo Ooo *idea*

they could even take the new MKX and stretch it over the MKT's bones!
basically the X's front end + Flex's passenger space + a roof & non-grooved door skins

no problem even coming up with nomenclature = Lincoln XLG get it?

edit
- NOT a rebadge in the usual sense
- definitely a rebadge & improvement of the MKT
- wonder if the MKC's clamshell hatch could be made to fit??

BLOG'ed
I would like to see the clamshell back in all Lincoln, I don't know why the X doesn't have it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exciting to read all these comments. Here in UAE, MKT costs only a little higher than the Explorer. That is the top end versions of both vehicles. The Explorer lacks only a blind spot warning system, side approach vehicle warning sensors, rear seat DVD entertainment system and a park assist. Rest all the stuff is in the Explorer also with better head room in the 3rd row seats. Leg room in the 3rd row seats in both vehicles is nothing to write home about. Explorer gives a taller road stance also. Why would somebody invest in an MKT over an Explorer? Just for some not-so-useful features and a softer-to-touch leathers? My wife is so much attracted to MKT than with Explorer and I am trying to make a point with her. Does any body see a good reason to invest in the MKT rather than Explorer out there, please?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Apparently the MKT is getting a successor in 2019 based on the new D6 Lincoln platform. Unclear if that means MKT is remaining unchanged until then.
IF... and that's a big if... the MKT stays till 2019 I cant imagine it being unchanged till then (I hope they don't pull a 3rd gen Navigator move with the MKT). They will most likely give it another refresh to change the grille to get it in line with the rest of the lineup and hopefully keep tweaking the styling, or maybe raise it up and make it more Explorer like.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
IF... and that's a big if... the MKT stays till 2019 I cant imagine it being unchanged till then (I hope they don't pull a 3rd gen Navigator move with the MKT). They will most likely give it another refresh to change the grille to get it in line with the rest of the lineup and hopefully keep tweaking the styling, or maybe raise it up and make it more Explorer like.
Maybe a redo of the front and back

1 - 20 of 37 Posts