Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Jeff Sabatini
Posted Aug 1st 2012 4:01PM

Livery operators can thank Ford for shaving a few extra bucks from their fuel budgets, courtesy of a new four-cylinder engine option for the Lincoln MKT Town Car. Lincoln is offering its professional version of the MKT, the replacement for the venerable Town Car, with a 2.0-liter EcoBoost in front-drive configuration for 2013, though the powertrain won't be available to the general public.

The four-cylinder in the MKT Town Car makes 235 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque and garners an EPA rating of 20 miles per gallon city, 28 on the highway, and 23 combined. That's considerably better than the 17/24/19 rating of the other option, a 3.7-liter V6 making 300 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque. The bigger engine's inferior fuel economy isn't just a matter of its larger displacement, however, as it is only offered in all-wheel-drive guise.

We imagine livery operators in warm weather states would just as soon do without the added weight and mechanical complexity, especially if it means getting an extra four miles out of every gallon of gas. They'll be saving some dollars up front, as well, with the base price of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost MKT Town Car coming in at $49,845, some $1,100 less than the V6 model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/01/lincoln-mkt-town-car-to-get-2-0-liter-ecoboost/

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
I believe this article is based on fueleconomy.gov. Also, i think there were typos done by the gov site for they also listed the MkS as having a 3.5L non-EB which we know is not the case. So I will wait for the official nod by Lincoln themselves.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I love reading all the negative comments talking about how someone would never buy this when they don't realize this is not for public sale.....

You know the numbers are not that far off from the Town Car's numbers in terms of power but will be bringing back much better fuel economy. Fleet companies don't give a rats *** about acceleration

·
Registered
997 Posts
Interesting idea using the 2.0EB in the large T. Would the 2.0EB work as an option in the S? Audi has/will have a 2.0 turbo in the A6. This could make for interesting comparison between the A6 and MKS.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ except:
_wlb____ovl_____w____h__
112.9 - 204.1 - 75.9 - 61.6 - Lincoln MKS
115.9 - 202.6 - 76.7 - 57.4 - Audi A8 swb
111.7 - 202.0 - 72.9 - 59.1 - Cadillac XTS
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
111.7 - 196.9 - 73.1 - 59.2 - Buick LaCrosse
112.2 - 194.1 - 73.4 - 58.2 - new Lincoln MKZ
114.5 - 193.6 - 73.6 - 57.5 - Audi A6
107.8 - 190.2 - 73.1 - 58.4 - Buick Regal

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think it's the right move for the Town car version. These cars spend a lot of time idling, and the drivers pay for fuel. It will benefit the drivers more than the companies, but will probably lead to more smooth driver/less crazy driver feedback, which is good for driver and companies.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lincoln needs a real Town Car. As much as I'd like it to be RWD, I'm very open to the idea of a six passenger sedan built on the Flex/MkT LWB platform. Ford should give it gobs of rear seat leg room and a huge trunk for the Black Car people (re: limo drivers). In addition, Ford should also build in house a 36" stretch with a mid row that can be adjusted both as front facing (funeral car) and rear facing (wedding/party car).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts