Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of ordering my MKX. It will be at least 4-6 weeks until the car is hopefully out of the factory and to my dealer.

However, there is a loaded MKX in my area I could have now.

The only thing is that it is BLACK (I wanted RED), and, it has 21" wheels (which are extra $$) as opposed to the 20" wheels that come with the Reserve group.

Now, I know nothing about wheels and how they affect a ride.

I did read on one of these boards that the 21" wheels don't give the Lincoln that "floating" comfortable hug-the-road ride that the 20" wheels do.

Is there any truth to that, or, is there an advantage getting the 21" wheels?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I drove the 21s and not the 20s and that floating feeling is very much there. You won't notice a ride difference between the two, intact the large wheels generally ride better IMO.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Did you like the floating feeling ride?
It's a strange ride in some ways, it responds to undulating pavement with a floaty feeling while you still feel the texture of the pavement on rough surfaces, it's not completely isolating. I like it because it doesn't feel as twitchy as the current MKX, although there is a laziness to the driving dynamic that is a little hard to judge right now. I need to spend a few months with it to fully understand how it handles. It's just so light, very relaxing car, the old MKX felt heavier even if the tight steering made it feel more nimble confident. I did notice that the car gets pulled around on rough pavement and it moves lateral on its suspension when taking sharp turns with rough pavement. That was a little off-putting at first and then I took my current MKX on the same surfaces and the experience was tighter but much louder and rough. It's a trade-off, and I only tested it in "Normal" model, so Sport might bring the car's driving dynamics up to an experience I'm use to, right now I'm not a fan of the extreme movement in the suspension so Sport should tighten the dampening. The current MKX is so fun to drive that it tends to make me more aggressive on the road, but the new MKX put me at ease. I'm sure that will change the more I understand how to toss it around safely ;)

The other ingredient that changes the dynamic is the 2.7L EB which feels awfully light off the line and sounds like a much smaller engine than the 3.7, but once you get moving there is allot of silky power to play with. I think the real difference between the two is smoothness, otherwise I'd could go either way between those engines. I'm always amazed how well the 3.7 just bites in and AWD puts it down clean and without fuss.

I will say my current MKX has a rock solid feel to it that still amazes me to this day, it handles all rough pavement with just the perfect amount of feedback and control, no harsh hits. I think much of that has to do with the large 22" wheels which eat up the road shockingly well and handle crisply. Only problem I'm running into now with those wheels is noise, they have gotten much louder as they age.

I'm absolutely certain I will be on here gushing about the new MKX once I get it, but I'm always a critic...doesn't mean I don't like it. I'm just thinking honestly outloud.

I'm really curious what critics are going to think, I think they'll hate it but shoppers will love it. It's definitely the softest and quietest Lincoln I've ever driven.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts