Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln MKX (2007): Can this crossover find its place in the premium CUV segment?

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·

February 21, 2007 - Lincoln seems to be having a bit of an identity crisis these days. The stuff that made a Lincoln "a Lincoln" is long gone; Ford's luxury brand no longer makes large luxury barges or stylish rides with suicide doors. It seems that these days every vehicle in the car maker's line up is nothing more than a warmed-over Ford. Lincoln's current offerings are the textbook definition of "badge engineering" - the only thing really separating a Lincoln from a regular Ford is the badge on the grille.

Sometimes this badge engineering doesn't work that well. Lincoln's MKZ is a nice car, but it's just a Ford Fusion, and not many people aspire to drive a mid-sized Ford sedan... On the other hand, Lincoln's Expedition-based Navigator is an example of how this badge swap can work. People actually want this luxury SUV, but we don't know if it's because the Navi appeals to the bling-bling SUV set or if it is because it actually uses the winning Lincoln formula of yore (big car, big engine, RWD and some luxury).

Lincolns' new crossover, the Edge-based MKX, falls somewhere in the middle. It's certainly a nice car built atop a good platform, and its large-ish size does make it seem like more of a luxury vehicle (at least when compared to the MKZ). That said, the MKX is still a Ford Edge at its core, a fact that may hurt the MKX as it attempts to steal customers away from "dedicated" luxury rides like the Lexus RX and Infiniti FX.
http://cars.ign.com/articles/766/766518p1.html

See less See more
#2 ·

February 21, 2007 - Lincoln seems to be having a bit of an identity crisis these days. The stuff that made a Lincoln "a Lincoln" is long gone; Ford's luxury brand no longer makes large luxury barges or stylish rides with suicide doors. It seems that these days every vehicle in the car maker's line up is nothing more than a warmed-over Ford. Lincoln's current offerings are the textbook definition of "badge engineering" - the only thing really separating a Lincoln from a regular Ford is the badge on the grille.

Sometimes this badge engineering doesn't work that well. Lincoln's MKZ is a nice car, but it's just a Ford Fusion, and not many people aspire to drive a mid-sized Ford sedan... On the other hand, Lincoln's Expedition-based Navigator is an example of how this badge swap can work. People actually want this luxury SUV, but we don't know if it's because the Navi appeals to the bling-bling SUV set or if it is because it actually uses the winning Lincoln formula of yore (big car, big engine, RWD and some luxury).

Lincolns' new crossover, the Edge-based MKX, falls somewhere in the middle. It's certainly a nice car built atop a good platform, and its large-ish size does make it seem like more of a luxury vehicle (at least when compared to the MKZ). That said, the MKX is still a Ford Edge at its core, a fact that may hurt the MKX as it attempts to steal customers away from "dedicated" luxury rides like the Lexus RX and Infiniti FX.
http://cars.ign.com/articles/766/766518p1.html

I would price it below the Enclave if I were Lincoln. The Enclave is Hot

#6 ·
As for the queston posted in the titled of this thread I think that January and February sales figures speak for themsleves. If this momentum is maintained (and the consensus is that it is actually growing) the MKX will more than earned its place in the premium CUV segment.

Everyone knows here that I am not a fan of Buick, I see no reason in the Enclave to make an exception.

#7 ·
As for the queston posted in the titled of this thread I think that January and February sales figures speak for themsleves. If this momentum is maintained (and the consensus is that it is actually growing) the MKX will more than earned its place in the premium CUV segment.

Everyone knows here that I am not a fan of Buick, I see no reason in the Enclave to make an exception.
I am no Buick Fan, But, one cannot urgue with the Enclave. It looks great

#8 ·
I am no Buick Fan, But, one cannot urgue with the Enclave. It looks great
Oh, I can. The Enclave has a very dated look, I would have looked much better if it had been released when the Randevouz was presented. Now looks messy and the front end just hurt my eyes. I think it will be a dude as much as its sisters the Outlook and the Acadian are turning out to be. For Buick's sake I hope I am mistaken.

#13 ·
(very off topic but...)

wish the MKX had wheels worthy of putting on a Milan
like a member here did - putting Edge wheels on his Fusion
direct pic link

one of my 'crazy ideas'™ is Merc having such tasty (word of the day) accessories, that Ford guys use them for customization
- got a Über wheel design for them if any dataminers are out there -
mantra: "My [insert Ford model] is almost a Mercury" - the reverse hasn't turned out so good :-(

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.