Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln makes hybrid power a no-cost option - again.
www.GMInsideNews.com
October 15, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Ford Motor Company apparently likes consecutive numbers when it comes to the fuel economy ratings of the company’s hybrid vehicles. First the 2013 Ford Fusion was rated at an impressive 47/47/47 mpg for city, highway and combined fuel economy. Now the Fusion’s Lincoln cousin has been given a triple rating, only at a slightly lower 45 mpg – figures that are likely raising brows at Lexus.

The 2013 MKZ Hybrid is powered by a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter four-cylinder that generates a projected 141 horsepower and 129 foot-pounds of torque while sipping regular octane fuel. In addition, the MKZ Hybrid will have an estimated 47 additional horsepower thanks to the electric drive motor.

Mechanical and electrical power will funnel through a continuously variable automatic transmission, similar to most other Ford hybrid vehicles.

MKZ’s natural competitor is the Lexus ES, which just happens to also have a hybrid variant, the ES300h. With a larger displacement of 2.5-liters, the ES300h has the fuel economy disadvantage with a rating of 40 mpg city, 39 mpg highway. Lexus hasn’t broken out the horsepower breakdown, though claims that their hybrid sedan achieves 200 horsepower total, which is nearly the same as the MKZ Hybrid.

Lincoln is also quick to tout that the MKZ Hybrid bests the smaller Lexus CT 200h, and the diesel variants of certain German luxury brands. While interesting, it isn’t likely that the MKZ Hybrid is going to be cross-shopped with diesels from Germany or the smaller CT 200h.

The Lincoln brand is continuing a pricing strategy that began with the current MKZ. There will be no price difference between the base MKZ and the MKZ Hybrid, meaning opting for the luxury hybrid sedan at Lincoln is a bit easier to swallow than having an extensive price hike over the conventional car.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nsap, I don't think we've ever heard your thoughts about the new MKZ. I'm dying to know.:D
I love the exterior of the MKZ - particularly the rear. The car has a lot of presence, much like the LS did back in the day. In fact, I would have considered buying an MKZ if it was driven by the rear wheels and had a manual transmission.

My only issue with the MKZ is really the powertrain. I'd really, really like to see a small displacement EcoBoost V6 instead of the NA V6 in it. I think that would make a luxury statement that no one else in the segment can make yet.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...My only issue with the MKZ is really the powertrain. I'd really, really like to see a small displacement EcoBoost V6 instead of the NA V6 in it. I think that would make a luxury statement that no one else in the segment can make yet.
Agree
&
patience...the Nano 2.7v6 will be here soon - maybe as earlier as next summer

& the 2.7EB ought to make upto 350hp

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I love the exterior of the MKZ - particularly the rear. The car has a lot of presence, much like the LS did back in the day. In fact, I would have considered buying an MKZ if it was driven by the rear wheels and had a manual transmission.

My only issue with the MKZ is really the powertrain. I'd really, really like to see a small displacement EcoBoost V6 instead of the NA V6 in it. I think that would make a luxury statement that no one else in the segment can make yet.
All of your wishes except a manual tranny will come true. Lincoln isn't moving towards being performance oriented like Cadillac, which is a good thing. The sport sedan market is too saturated, imo. I would expect a luxury rwd sedan(not sport sedan) based off the Mustang platform sometime after the new Mustang hits the streets. If the rumors are true, I'd expect suicide doors.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The idea of only a luxury sedan based on the Mustang is a bit disappointing since the current Boss 302 and GT are often compared to the BMW 3 Series, arguably the best performance car out there according to most enthusiast magazines. I wouldn't mind a luxury version powered by an EBI4 or NanoV6 but a balls-out performance sedan, coupe, and convertible are a must IMHO for Lincoln.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
The idea of only a luxury sedan based on the Mustang is a bit disappointing since the current Boss 302 and GT are often compared to the BMW 3 Series, arguably the best performance car out there according to most enthusiast magazines.
That's Ford's job to make the Germans look stupid. Lincoln stated they are not going to be a BMW wannabe brand. Besides, it's not in their DNA. Lincoln's job is to produce uncompromising luxury vehicles like they did decades ago. Lincoln did and still could compete with Bentley and Rolls Royce.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
The idea of only a luxury sedan based on the Mustang is a bit disappointing since the current Boss 302 and GT are often compared to the BMW 3 Series, arguably the best performance car out there according to most enthusiast magazines. I wouldn't mind a luxury version powered by an EBI4 or NanoV6 but a balls-out performance sedan, coupe, and convertible are a must IMHO for Lincoln.
I *really* don't expect any i4 to be *initially* offered in a Mustang-co-platformed "LS550" (I can't stand saying 'LincStang' anymore)
THO I fully expect it to have the EBv8 rumored at recent Mustang focus groups
+ it won't surprise me at all for the ~700hp top model to be at least partly electric/part-time electric
&
just-imho whatever gets based on the Mustang's platform will be aimed at both the 3-series AND 6er
but not at low-rent 3ers (think it'll start at least $10k higher than the cheapest ATS)
hoping the base MKuGa will handle entry & compact Lux

&
wish I felt as confident about a new Continental
since it's just as much of a no-brainer ... just no *obvious* platform for it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyone have any idea when we're going to start seeing first drives and reviews of this? Or vehicles in dealers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts