·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All MkZ Production to Stay in Mexico
FordInsideNews.com
April 10, 2012
By: Austin Rutherford

At the 2013 North American Auto Show, Ford rolled out the new Fusion Energi, which is the first plug-in hybrid in its class. As with the Hybrid, many expected that the MkZ would follow the Fusion and receive this new powertrain. However, this will not be the case for now.

Though we knew that an MkZ Plug-in was not in the cards currently, we had heard the plan was to hear from the customers before they would decide to put it in the luxury car. This is half the story.

At the New York International Auto Show, FIN talked to the Fusion’s Marketing Manager, Samantha Hoyt. She mentioned that the MkZ receiving the Fusion Energi’s engine is dependent upon the sales of the Ford plug-in. In other words, if Fusion Energi sales are where Ford is expecting them to be, the likelihood of an MkZ plug-in being built will be low. If the Energi’s sales are lower, expect Lincoln to rush out its version to bring in the revenue that the company needs for a return on the investment.

We can also tell you that all MkZ production will stay in Mexico even with Fusion adding production to Flat Rock Assembly in Michigan. She said that Ford plans on a large percentage increase in production for the 2013 Lincoln MkZ, which will hopefully lead to a sales increase as well.

Even if sales of the Fusion Energi are high and exceed Ford’s expectations, we hope that customer and online feedback will force Lincoln to offer a plug-in for the MkZ.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...if Fusion Energi sales are where Ford is expecting them to be, the likelihood of an MkZ plug-in being built will be low. If the Energi’s sales are lower, expect Lincoln to rush out its version to bring in the revenue that the company needs for a return on the investment...
this sounds sorta backwards to me - sorta
(like the "poverty mentality" I mentioned in another post)
unless
the battery supply (or something) is still constrained

&
other than the Energi's fender port for the socket (and some black boxes behind it)...
...I really hope(d) the hybrid and plug-in were 'same' enough that someday-theoretically a hybrid could be up-graded to plug-in AFTER sale

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Would this be the first luxury plugin hybrid?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Question would be is if Fisker is still around by the time an MkZ plug-in came out.
The way things are going with Fisker.. it doesn't look good

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it's a smart move to wait and see on this one. I just read an article where some analysts think fuel prices may have reached the high so if prices start coming back down, then they may not sell as many as they initially believed. Especially for a luxury car where the majority of the customer base has disposable cash on hand.

I love the detail in that front grill. The more I see this car the more I like it. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Good luck Lincoln!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I think it's a smart move to wait and see on this one. I just read an article where some analysts think fuel prices may have reached the high so if prices start coming back down, then they may not sell as many as they initially believed. Especially for a luxury car where the majority of the customer base has disposable cash on hand.
It will also depend on Ford/Lincoln in this case. With the current MKZ Hybrid, they made the claim that it would have the same MSRP as the V6. While this might be true, the price the customer has to ACTUALLY PAY for the Hybrid is higher. Ford/Lincoln simply didn't offer any incentives on the Hybrid - and it takes a very long time and many miles to save those couple of thousand $$ on gas.

So if they are holding on to this philosophy, I certainly won't buy a Hybrid. I'm not willing to pay more for a car that has about 120 HP less than the cheaper alternative. I do like the concept of a Hybrid - but it has to make sense economically...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...but it has to make sense economically...
If I can afford the difference AND if I could be sure it would help put the blood-suckingly greedy Oil execs OUT OF A JOB (& their politico-dogs too)

THAT^ would be a bigger incentive to me currently than even contributing to the down-fall of "foreign states"

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If I can afford the difference AND if I could be sure it would help put the blood-suckingly greedy Oil execs OUT OF A JOB (& their politico-dogs too)

THAT^ would be a bigger incentive to me currently than even contributing to the down-fall of "foreign states"
I guess the only car that could achieve that would be a plug-in without ANY gasoline engine. But that won't come any time soon...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping the plug-in hybrid is in plan. I want a plug-in, it fits my driving habits very well, and a luxury car with all the bells & whistles. The logic in the response is illogical unless there are shortages of something.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The logic of Ms Hoyt seems a bit off.

It's like saying if enough consumers bought the Ford Fusion or Fusion Hybrid, there would be no need for a Lincoln MKZ or MKZ Hybrid.

Which is why based on a article from insideevs.com, Jim Farley's comments make much more sense:

'Last year, Jim Farley, who is global head of sales and marketing at Ford, said that if the Fusion Energi is received well, that engineers can expand the Lincoln lineup to also allow the new luxury MKZ to accept a plug.'

Which means if the base Ford consumers like the idea of a plug-in midsize sedan, the luxury customer on the Lincoln side may also at a higher price point.

The conversation restarts itself now because July 14, 2014 is the launch date for the 2015 MKZ. The third year for the current MKZ, time for a refresh and a natural time to add a new powertrain to create more buzz around the model. But with new slew of luxury plug-in hybrid competition offering 31 EV miles as point of entry coming for MY2015, the MKZ will need to increase the battery capacity to compete.

Not such much because Lincoln is a luxury brand, but because battery pricing has dropped, and 31 miles of battery power can now be had for the same or less than 21 miles of battery power 3 years ago. Which would mean the Fusion Energi model should get the larger 31 mile battery pack for 2015 also. The C-MAX Energi would get the larger pack with the next gen model that can better integrate the pack into the body structure.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
(are we playing 'this old thread'?
)

tho
I *did* just the other day
read an article about how the Fusion Energi is significantly out-seling the Fusion Hybrid in California
(actually the best Energi-selling dealer in the U.S.)
since their laws re: HOV (High Occupancy Vehilces) "carpool" lanes let an Energi driver go solo
but not the Hybrid driver

^iirc^

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
The logic of Ms Hoyt seems a bit off.

It's like saying if enough consumers bought the Ford Fusion or Fusion Hybrid, there would be no need for a Lincoln MKZ or MKZ Hybrid.

Which is why based on a article from insideevs.com, Jim Farley's comments make much more sense:

'Last year, Jim Farley, who is global head of sales and marketing at Ford, said that if the Fusion Energi is received well, that engineers can expand the Lincoln lineup to also allow the new luxury MKZ to accept a plug.'

Which means if the base Ford consumers like the idea of a plug-in midsize sedan, the luxury customer on the Lincoln side may also at a higher price point.

The conversation restarts itself now because July 14, 2014 is the launch date for the 2015 MKZ. The third year for the current MKZ, time for a refresh and a natural time to add a new powertrain to create more buzz around the model. But with new slew of luxury plug-in hybrid competition offering 31 EV miles as point of entry coming for MY2015, the MKZ will need to increase the battery capacity to compete.

Not such much because Lincoln is a luxury brand, but because battery pricing has dropped, and 31 miles of battery power can now be had for the same or less than 21 miles of battery power 3 years ago. Which would mean the Fusion Energi model should get the larger 31 mile battery pack for 2015 also. The C-MAX Energi would get the larger pack with the next gen model that can better integrate the pack into the body structure.
I think a MKZ energi would be a great idea, but maybe they could change the energi for the lincolns, maybe Green Label?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I think a MKZ energi would be a great idea, but maybe they could change the energi for the lincolns, maybe Green Label?
Or maybe use the same Energi for plug in hybrids, and Electric for full EVs for all Ford/Lincoln vehicles for consistency. And let Green Label be the category.

For instance:

Ford Fusion Hybrid | Lincoln MKZ Hybrid with Green Label badging

Ford Fusion Energi | Lincoln MKZ Energi with Green Label badging

Focus Electric | Lincoln MKZ Electric - Green Label badging

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Bloggin said:
...Ford...(and)...Lincoln... Green Label badging...

imho, all "LABEL"s belong to LINCOLN now

( of course I hope trademarking [
-Label ]
was JUST to keep anyone else from using it!! )

Jose said:
...maybe they could change the energi for the lincolns...
imho
with electric components in the drivetrains,
there are MORE ways to differentiate Lincolns** from Fords:
- my fave-fixation; V-Awd, with electric motors added just to non-petrol drive wheels
- hybrids; could have EITHER electrics or petrol increased
- ...OR just the batteries(capacitors?) be more capacious than the Fords
- Energi's; ^ditto^
- BEV's; could have another electric motor added for AWD (along-or with more battery capacity)
plus using higher-priced bits-n-pieces (aluminum/composites) to make the Lincolns lighter/more-efficient

** in addition to Lincoln having engines that are "exclusive-to-each-model":
Ford / Lincoln
1.0 ---- 1.5
1.5 ---- 2.0
2.0 ---- 2.3
2.3 ---- 2.7 etc...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts