Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://media.lincoln.com/content/l...t-appealing-compact-premium-car-in-apeal.html
“We are encouraged by these results and look forward to continuously improving our performance going forward,” said Matt VanDyke, director, Global Lincoln. “Our all-new Lincoln MKZ – the first of four all-new vehicles as part of our reinvention through 2016.
so this 3 models are mkc, mks and mkx? mkc, navigator and mks? :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if it is 7 vehicles like they said before it´s ok for me:
1 and 2: mks and mkt (2013)
3: mkz (2013)
4: mkc
5: navigator
6: mkx
7: mks (2015/6)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ the last MKX refresh going to the vertical chrome grille was #1 of Lincoln's original "7 in 4 years"
&
Wingsnut said the 4 "allNew" models starting with the Z are
the MKC, MKX, and MKS - in that order assuming things haven't changed

& re: the ranking
I'm SO sick of this wrong-size nonsense
the Z is a fairly long midsize, not a compact
+
the idiots at JDP say,
"Ford Mustang named best in the midsize sporty car segment"
even tho
it a half-foot shorter than the Z

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
& re: the ranking
I'm SO sick of this wrong-size nonsense
the Z is a fairly long midsize, not a compact
+
the idiots at JDP say,
"Ford Mustang named best in the midsize sporty car segment"
even tho
it a half-foot shorter than the Z
It goes by interior space, and the roofline of the MKZ cuts a generous amount off.
The old Mercury Topaz(listed as a compact) was only 177" long, but had great headroom because of it's roofline.

The Mustang is measured against other coupes, and compared to them, it is mid-sized.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
They can call it most appealing big rig for all I care, they called it most appealing, good enough for me!

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The All-New Vehicles should be:

1. MKZ 2013
2. MKC 2014
3. MKX 2015
4. MKS 2016

- 2011 MKX had a major refresh for 2011 with new interior/new technology, so a new model is due in 2014 as MY2015

- The MKS had a refresh for MY2013 so it's time for a new model in 2015 as MY2016.

- The Navigator should get major refresh in 2014 as MY2015 which will last for 3 years putting the new model in 2017 as MY2018.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
They can call it most appealing big rig for all I care, they called it most appealing, good enough for me!
Agreed.
It is a nice accolade.

As far as size, it is all relative.
Personally I think it is closer to a compact than a mid sized in terms of interior volume.
BMW 5 series is a good metric imo for mid sized. The MKZ is much closer to the 3 series.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ just one of my many quirks,
I go by exterior dimensions for what size the vehicle IS: how big a parking place or garage is needed for the vehicle.
The interior volume just shows me how well (& cleverly) the vehicle suits its segment/niche.
+
other than rear headroom, the Z is nowhere near as tight as the 3er = still an inaccurate comparison
imho a ht.-adjustable rear seat would totally fix that for many people, esp tall teens = flexible enough to more-easily adjust to a knees-high position than decapitation

The All-New Vehicles should be:

1. MKZ 2013
2. MKC 2014
3. MKX 2015
4. MKS 2016

- 2011 MKX had a major refresh for 2011 with new interior/new technology, so a new model is due in 2014 as MY2015

- The MKS had a refresh for MY2013 so it's time for a new model in 2015 as MY2016.

- The Navigator should get major refresh in 2014 as MY2015 which will last for 3 years putting the new model in 2017 as MY2018.
should??

afaik
the C was borderline-2013cy then botch-proofed, now maybe delayed
the X is/was 1st half 2014cy
the S is a myStery (and it was time for a NEWer-new model style-wise the day after the last refresh came out...actually before that)
the AllNew nextgen Navi will follow the Q2-2014cy nextgen F-150 withIN 12 months, imho, no way they'll wait 3 more years

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I grew up in a GM household.
I recall knowing large cars as late 60's era Deville sedans or Oldsmobile 98's with massive 455 ci V8 engines.
I recall scaling down from there to late 70's "mid-sized" Cutlass sedans, which by today's standard is bigger than most big cars.

I think mid sized has so much overlap that people get confused.
I think that now is happening with small or compact, with sub compact popularity spreading as well.

Oh well, again, it's all relative it seems. Like saying which way is up.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Agreed.
It is a nice accolade.

As far as size, it is all relative.
Personally I think it is closer to a compact than a mid sized in terms of interior volume.
BMW 5 series is a good metric imo for mid sized. The MKZ is much closer to the 3 series.
It really splits the difference, leaning more toward the 3, much in the same way the first two generations of CTS did for Cadillac.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts