1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Jonathon Ramsey
Mar 11th 2012
Autoblog.com

The buzz around the 2013 Lincoln MKZ has centered around two questions: what will it look like and what will its retractable roof look like. Even though its expected unveiling at the New York Auto Show is a few weeks away, we still have little info on its looks, although the Detroit concept clearly telegraphed what we should expect. We have got our first impression of how the sliding roof looks in action, though.

It's been compared to the sliding roof on the Porsche 911 Targa (and we hear that Lincoln is using the same supplier, Webasto), but whereas the Porsche's roof panel slides underneath the rear glass, the MKZ has external tracks along the roofline that enable its glass toupee to rise and slide aft.

Full text at link

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Looks cool, but I wonder how the airflow works at half-open. I figured it would have an open and close switch, and not let you stop in between the two.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Will the panel be transparent? It looks strange to me, even keeping in mind it's a mule. I'm not sold yet and will wait to see a production-ready model.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think that, for now, this is as close as Lincoln can get to an updated '1967 4-door Lincoln' as they practically can.
I wish for the re-manufacture of the 1967 Lincoln 4-door in the same vein as the recently introduces 60's Mustang(s).
It STILL is the greatest of technologies even by today's standards: Push 1 button and everything was done!

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is probably the only way to do a "4 door convertible" today with the safety standard's differences of now and today. Well unless their is a cage like with my Wrangler...but I don't think you want a cage for a car.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Shouldn't this package have a name instead of just being MKZ Convertible? MKZ Landau? MKZ Cabriolet? MKZ Model C? MKZ Targa?? The name should identify this type of bodystyle and add some excitement. Lincoln hardtop sedans had names added to the regular model name back in the late 1950's. Why not do it again?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Very cool shots, this answers a lot of questions on how this works!

I can't wait to see the final product in NY

·
Registered
997 Posts
I guess you could call it one giant super-sized moonroof. It takes the sunroof/moonroof to the next level. Does this qualify for the world's largest sliding sunroof?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I guess you could call it one giant super-sized moonroof. It takes the sunroof/moonroof to the next level. Does this qualify for the world's largest sliding sunroof?
Agreed, and just like bomt1 else said it is just like a 60s Continental in the way that its a 4 door convertable... this would be a great way to advertise this car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 4-door convertible returns. This could effectively put Lincoln ahead of others by taking the awesomeness of the continental and pushing peoples perception on what Lincoln is. Still want more, but hopping they surprise me with a drop dead gorgeous coupe, super car or true RWD full-size car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts