Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
How do you guys feel about the new grille insert? It's essentially a "Reverse/Negative Image Star Shadow" design. I kind of like it, although I still prefer the current star shadow more. I'd love it if this grille was an option on certain trims, however. Looks sportier.
I like how the pattern is thicker towards the middle then dissipates out.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
This is still a "Preview" which is slightly less than a "Concept" I suppose but it's still obviously very custom finished.

This is the first Ford/Lincoln to have some modern design attributes like the flatter front fenders which I hope is part of the final design. The creases are nice and sharp but again that could be more custom than production.

The interior is great, looks extraordinary. The back looks simple but sharp, it has that Land-Rover look I like. What I'm a little turned off by is the long tapered design toward the back, this vehicle looks a bit longer, lower and more wagon-like than I'm personally looking for but we'll see if t hey raise it all up a bit in production.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I think it looks gorgeous. Something about the headlights kind of reminds me of Infiniti though...not a huge fan to be honest, although I still think it's stunning, especially that interior! I sincerely hope this is gonna be huge for Lincoln.

Interesting how it's not a full on concept, but also not a full production car! Although it looks 99% production ready, minus the side view mirrors and rear tail lights!

Also, minus the signature horizontal rear red bar, the sides of the tail lights kind of remind me of the ones on the Jaguar XF.

Overall....I'm excited. I'm curious....is it ONLY going to be a Plug-in Hybrid?
I don't see what's not production feasible with the taillights?

As far as we know (or at least think we know), it'll have a gas-only option, and the plug in option.

How do you guys feel about the new grille insert? It's essentially a "Reverse/Negative Image Star Shadow" design. I kind of like it, although I still prefer the current star shadow more. I'd love it if this grille was an option on certain trims, however. Looks sportier.
I like it as a variation of the grille. That, however, is one thing I could see changing for the full production model (going to the Navigator's star shadow one).

·
Registered
273 Posts
I like how the pattern is thicker towards the middle then dissipates out.
I didn't notice THAT until I just saw the cars.com YouTube video of the car mentioning it. Looks really cool! Gives it a 3D effect. I wonder if they'll keep it for the final production! Really distinct!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The 2 things I see that need to be changed are the vents on the dash and the Aviator badge on the side I don't think it will be THAT 3D when it comes to production.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This is still a "Preview" which is slightly less than a "Concept" I suppose but it's still obviously very custom finished.

This is the first Ford/Lincoln to have some modern design attributes like the flatter front fenders which I hope is part of the final design. The creases are nice and sharp but again that could be more custom than production.

The interior is great, looks extraordinary. The back looks simple but sharp, it has that Land-Rover look I like. I'm a little concerned that the rear belt line looks like it dips down toward the back which I really don't like on SUVs since it makes them look long and wagon-like which is the vibe I'm getting here and that is turning me off a bit.
I don't know....I think what we're seeing is basically the production model. The mirrors will change, and that c-pillar looks a bit thin, but otherwise to me it looks largely production-ready. The interior certainly is with all the switchgear and whatnot in place.

Reactions: HotRod

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm not so sure about it now, the grille looks too narrow with this treatment.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Oh, I just realized they finally oriented the light bar properly instead of forcing the upside down design I've always disliked on the MKX.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The metal trim pattern reminds me of Spyker interiors which is airplane themed too. I am guessing some airplane themed Black Label will be exclusive to this.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm still not crazy about this new styling direction. It's sort of a conglomeration of British luxury brands with a dash of Audi. I do like how they're making sure their vehicles appear upscale, but it's pretty disappointing they're not coming up with anything original. It's downright criminal their own extremely iconic '60s Continental design never became the basis for Lincoln Design. When you have something that great, you build on it. Porsche is a great example.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The metal trim pattern reminds me of Spyker interiors which is airplane themed too. I am guessing some airplane themed Black Label will be exclusive to this.

Definitely what Lincoln was going for! Here's a quote from their press release:

An all-new Lincoln Black Label-inspired theme harmoniously combines Shearling Beige and Lunar Gray to further elevate the ambience. Machine-turn aluminum appliqués, brushed in small circles to replicate the shape of early aviation instruments, enhance the theme.
What made me sort of roll my eyes and laugh is Lincoln literally admitting that yes, luxury clientele care about RWD and RWD proportions. They mention RWD quite a few times!

Built on a rear-wheel-drive platform, Aviator allows for the power and capability luxury clients require in a three-row SUV. The platform also serves to enhance Aviator’s elegant proportions, with a long wheelbase allowing for a spacious second and third row.
I sincerely hope this signifies better proportions on all future models, particularly a future Continental!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
What made me sort of roll my eyes and laugh is Lincoln literally admitting that yes, luxury clientele care about RWD and RWD proportions. They mention RWD quite a few times!

I sincerely hope this signifies better proportions on all future models, particularly a future Continental!
As many of us have said for a while - some of the current crop of vehicles (namely Continental) are FWD because that's what was available when they were being developed. And it was never the desired result, but a product of doing what they could with what they had. With CD6 arriving, they'll now have access to this RWD platform that can give them the improved styling (proportions, especially), performance, etc. that the rest of the luxury field has.

---

A few interesting details:

it has the e-latch door handles from Conti. Obviously the handles are traditionally placed, but they're electronic, with the push button release on the inside.

Aviator will also get "Lincoln Co-Pilot 360" standard, so that answers the question as to whether Lincolns get all that tech standard like the Fords.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
He called it a TTV8/plug, but it's a TTV6.

Interesting looking at the side profile in that video - BORG, I'm not sure the beltline actually dips as much as it appears.......I think it's a visual trick and that it's almost horizontal, which gives the illusion it dips with the way the roofline does, and with how flat it is versus to the wedge shape we've gotten used to.

I'd love to see them hide the rear wiper under the spoiler this time. Let's not ruin the clean rear with a giant wiper blade.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
He called it a TTV8/plug, but it's a TTV6.

Interesting looking at the side profile in that video - BORG, I'm not sure the beltline actually dips as much as it appears.......I think it's a visual trick and that it's almost horizontal, which gives the illusion it dips with the way the roofline does, and with how flat it is versus to the wedge shape we've gotten used to.
From some angles the optical illusion makes it look like the back is sagging but that's not really the case. It's beautiful sculpted.

I still would like to see less of a forward bulge to the top of the fascia as opposed to a more swept back look, but it is a fairly common design trend lately.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I am wondering what Explorer will look like when both the Aviator and Explorer appear to be emulating the same carmaker. Explorer should probably stay pretty close to the design it has now which is pretty outstanding and iconic as it is.

I do think the Preview here has an unusually low rear roofline for a 3-row vehicle, I think that will change in production.

BTW, I thought this would be amusing to compare.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Not a crossover/SUV fan but, for what it is, I like it. First, it rides lower; not much clearance between tire & wheel-well (hope that's not a concept-only teaser). Second, I love the subtile body-side sculpturing. The grille treatment is proportioned just right but IMO the reverse image-star motif, which I love, is a bit too recessed. I hope that Lincoln continues to play around with the grille designs so that each new model will have its own character. The headlights could have more bling but at least they don't offend. Unfortunately, the rear, especially the taillight design, is far too bland for words. I see a pattern here; Lincoln has yet to really double-down on exterior head/tail-light design.

I'm sure it's too much to ask that the production model keeps the more desirable features like the side mirrors (Why couldn't they be mass produced?) and the low stance.(This is no off-roader.). Overall, the body design is much better than I anticipated. I can't wait to see what the designers (and engineers) can do with a real flagship sedan.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
This should give any Ford fan some high hopes for the next Explorer too. Wow I'm just really loving this Aviator. I'm ready to drive this. Might drive from Philly to NYC this week to see her in person.

21 - 40 of 171 Posts