Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Really well done. Bravo, Lincoln! Mary Barra is arranging a meeting of brand managers as I write this, and Johan de Nysschen just soiled himself.

This is exactly the car Lincoln needs for these CUV-crazy times. I can confidently predict this Aviator will steal sales from the European brands, and I can't remember the last time I legitimately believed that.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
From this, I am trying to visualize what the next Explorer King Ranch (maybe in a Highland Green) will look like, and I think it will be awesome!

The grill could be black label exclusive, and others may keep the standard starshadow.
I still think there should be more variations of the grill, but the whole exterior is sharp and precise looking.
Other than the speakers being too obvious, I love the whole look of the interior as well.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Lincoln appears to have another home run. Hopefully, the recent dumb Lincoln death watch comments from some of you will be put to rest. This is a production preview and because it launches so closely in spring of 2019, it is almost identical to final product. Explorer looks just as good on the exterior, for those wondering, and in some angles maybe better IMO, at least with the ST trim. Aviator should easily sell much better than MKT.

And I love the PHEV option, rather than develop a tiny volume 600hp V8 (thinking of you Cadillac) that might see 15mpg. Wait until you all hear the MPG estimates for this.

Also, heard some false product rumors at recent event, and so my recent criticism of Hackett was mostly unjustified. He gets a pass for now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just see the photos, it's really beautiful, it's going to be a success, it looks great from all angles. The designers did a great job, there's no doubt.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Highlights from the press conference:

Used the phrasing "Quiet Flight" instead of Quiet Luxury

Within the next couple of years 2 new utilities - with Aviator being first - and 4 new Lincoln products. Joining lineup (mentioned joining Conti, and updated MKZ, MKC). I'd say MKC replacement would be one, but he mentioned joining the updated MKC, so that may mean a different model.

---

Lincoln Pilot program (subscription service) has only been for 2015 CPO models? And the program now has access to 2017 models? I don't quite understand the point of the program if it's using old vehicles?

Reactions: Bloggin

·
Registered
615 Posts
Very curious about the "quiet flight" thing as well, because no matter how much Lincoln may want to avoid the "sport/luxury" pissing match, that very fight has made 400 hp very pedestrian in a hurry; no amount of determined PR side-stepping helps vehicles that don't stack up on stat sheets. Even halo brands need halo models of halo vehicles to draw attention to the brand as a whole.

I do like this Aviator concept, however...and think that a very slight "cleaning up" of certain styling elements for production could make it even more elegant.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The front looks better in video than it does in still images. The front is still my least favorite aspect of the design, I still don't love the chubby Lincoln fascia no matter how you slice it but the overall body and rear is EXACTLY what I wanted from a Lincoln SUV design. That profile and rear quarter view is just perfect in every detail.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
youtube webcast video isn't starting for me yet :(
https://youtu.be/ILhe5L6Hwj0

mini-video @ fb: Everything Lincoln
need to be a member? ^

- - - - - - -

New Lincoln Aviator SUV offers a smooth flight, 'like a bird'
Detroit Free Press
, Phoebe Wall Howard, March 28, 2018 | Updated

...Lincoln says a first encounter with an Aviator should be less of an attack, more of a seduction.

The preview model provides a glimpse into the direction Lincoln plans to take with its newest SUV when the production model goes on sale in 2019. The company is targeting buyers aged 35 to 44...

...Dave Sullivan, manager of product analysis at AutoPacific, Inc., said immediately after seeing the vehicle, "Lincoln is applying the same formula that they applied to the Navigator. If the early sales of the Navigator are any indication of how the Aviator will do, I hope they are adjusting capacity accordingly."...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Very curious about the "quiet flight" thing as well, because no matter how much Lincoln may want to avoid the "sport/luxury" pissing match, that very fight has made 400 hp very pedestrian in a hurry; no amount of determined PR side-stepping helps vehicles that don't stack up on stat sheets. Even halo brands need halo models of halo vehicles to draw attention to the brand as a whole.

I do like this Aviator concept, however...and think that a very slight "cleaning up" of certain styling elements for production could make it even more elegant.
As I've said for a while now, I do think that "Quiet Luxury" was a product of what was available to them, and now they can shift more toward that performance direction with the RWD platform finally arriving.

"Quiet Flight" seems like the beginning of that shift. Flight implies more power/performance available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The front looks better in video than it does in still images. The front is still my least favorite aspect of the design, I still don't love the chubby Lincoln fascia no matter how you slice it but the overall body and rear is EXACTLY what I wanted from a Lincoln SUV design. That profile and rear quarter view is just perfect in every detail.
I agree with everything! In video, The aviator looks much better in the frontal design. In the photos, I did not like the front end. I think the fact that in the pictures the headlights are darkened by the ambient light, and in the images, the whole headlights looks very silvery and stands out in a bad way. Around the grid there is a spat flat area, which does not appear in the videos either. (i mean the press videos)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Link isn't working.

I agree with you here. I love the rear especially.

Reactions: Assimilator

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
"Quiet Flight" vs "Quiet Luxury"...I'm not sure I can parse the differences there but it certainly matches the "Aviator" name.

Also of note is that Lincoln is also calling their system Co-Pilot360....a clumsy branding if ever there was one but it's a great suite of tech.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
"Quiet Flight" vs "Quiet Luxury"...I'm not sure I can parse the differences there but it certainly matches the "Aviator" name.

Also of note is that Lincoln is also calling their system Co-Pilot360....a clumsy branding if ever there was one but it's a great suite of tech.
Yeah, I was hoping they'd name Co-Pilot360 something else too, but like SYNC, I guess they're trying to piggy back on the good will of that name.....but hey, at least it'll all be standard now without having top range models with all the safety tech still optional.

41 - 60 of 171 Posts