Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln predicts a record May for MKZ, but not for brand

12K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Automotive News
May 31, 2013
by Bradford Wernle

DETROIT -- After a problem-plagued launch of the 2013 MKZ, Lincoln executives say the product pipeline is filling and the business is beginning to find normal levels.

"We're going to have our best sales ever for MKZ" when results for May are reported on Monday, June 3, said Jim Farley, Ford Motor Co. executive vice president of global marketing, sales, service and Lincoln. The previous May record for the MKZ was 3,092 units in 2007.

However, sales for the Lincoln brand overall will be "flat or slightly down" for the month, said Matt VanDyke, global head of marketing sales and service for Lincoln.

While sales of the MKZ, the newest car in the lineup, have gained strength, sales of other models have languished.

"Car shoppers are really falling in love with Z. That's putting pressure on the S," VanDyke said, referring to the MKZ's larger stablemate, the MKS sedan, which was refreshed for the 2013 model year. MKS sales peaked last May and will likely be off slightly this month, he said.

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#3 ·
hmm...
Bradford Wernle said:
...The previous May record for the MKZ was 3,092 units in 2007...
I thought the Z sold more than 4,012 last month
thinking 4.000 per would be fine later in the year, tho hoped a bit higher now still
&
imho an increase of 1000 is needed for me to make a stink about "Best May EVER"
tho
the way the article phrased their quote was ambiguous

COULD MAY's #s BE MORE THAN APRIL's??

Bradford Wernle said:
...While sales of the MKZ, the newest car in the lineup, have gained strength, sales of other models have languished...
as has their styling

#4 ·
QUOTE=vanshmack @ GMI
Just for the sake of context:

________Lincoln Brand__Cadillac Brand

2002______150,057______199,748
2003______158,839______216,090
2004______139,016______234,217
2005______123,207______235,002
2006______120,476______227,014
2007______131,487______214,726
2008______107,295______161,159
2009-______82,847______109,092
2010-______85,828______146,925
2011-______85,643______152,389
2012-______82,150______149,782

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had no idea that Cadillac went from almost doubling Lincoln's numbers in 2005-06 to near parity in 2009

#5 ·
It's pretty much as expected. Lincoln builds ONE nice car and it sells well. The rest of their lineup is TOTAL CRAP and those continue to sell poorly. Hey Lincoln, Do you see a pattern yet? OK... I'm done trolling but I sure hope the MKC comes out soon without a hitch. And does anyone know anything about an MKS replacement? I remember seeing a mule with a Fusion body a while ago but I haven't heard/seen anything new on it.

#6 ·
New MKX and MKC will do wonders. Current MKX is still best in class IMO.
MKC has little out there to compete with it, and will be a smash hit. Just look at Escape.
MKZ will continue to slowly draw sales, with a possible performance and Energi model.
New Navigator will turn this segment on it's head, when it offers incredible performance and fuel economy through lightweight design and new styling.

Have not seen new MKS, and I can't speak to other coming white space vehicles, but those vehicles I mentioned above alone will make a HUGE impact on volume.

New engines, transmissions and technology coming for all as well.

LOL, it just takes time, and we are like eager children looking under the tree every single day for more presents, when X-Mas is still months away.

#7 ·
MKC has little out there to compete with it, and will be a smash hit. Just look at Escape.
MKZ will continue to slowly draw sales, with a possible performance and Energi model.
New Navigator will turn this segment on it's head, when it offers incredible performance and fuel economy through lightweight design and new styling.

Have not seen new MKS, and I can't speak to other coming white space vehicles, but those vehicles I mentioned above alone will make a HUGE impact on volume.

LOL, it just takes time, and we are like eager children looking under the tree every single day for more presents, when X-Mas is still months away.
have you seen the new Navigator?

#9 ·
May should have been the first month dealers were not backfilling old orders. MKZ sales should be at 5k units monthly to better compete with the ES, along with pulling sales from the Genesis, A4 and A6, Acura RL, Volvo S80, 3-Series, C-Class. Inventory sits at over 5,200 units as of June 1, and inventory for the MKZ is just over 1k units below the ES.

MKS is taking a hit, mainly because the Z is new, and it rides on the same size wheel base...112", with very similar interior dimensions. But I think Lincoln want's to let the Z become the star for a while, since the current S will be discontinued for 2016. I am sure the higher trim level Z models are more profitable than the older S. But the Z does need an Energi model, along with a Sport model. It's ok to be able to option up the Z, but a specific Sport model, with special trim would do well. This should happen now and before the 2016 launch of the new S.

Lincoln will have the same issue with the X when the C launches later this year. But in this case, I am sure Lincoln will already plan for a Hybrid and Energi version right at launch. It rides on the same platform as the C-MAX Hybrid and Energi models.

Since Lincoln has so few new models (Z and C), expanding the trim levels with Hybrid and Energi would help, until the new X and S is launched.

#10 ·

Terrain Management will be on the new Navigator?

#11 ·
C and X will launch within months of each other.

A year from right now, a Lincoln showroom should be impressive with new X, C and Z. News of other products will also spur some excitement too.

Z is nice size and all, but I would take the bigger S any day of the week.

I would love to put my hands all over this interior, and keep them there.

#13 ·
^ it could be the MKS could get the 2.9v6EB Nano with near 400hp
then a little later the Z could get a 2.7EB Nano geared a bit more for MPG with 350hp
(then the 2016
could get the 3.8-4.2 v8EB as well as a Nano)

...it just takes time, and we are like eager children looking under the tree every single day for more presents, when X-Mas is still months away...

A year from right now, a Lincoln showroom should be impressive with new X, C and Z. News of other products will also spur some excitement too...
TY for the hints, Wings!

just posting my-own made-up schedule of debuts, Job1s, OnSales in Mission:Lincoln

It's pretty much as expected. Lincoln builds ONE nice car and it sells well. The rest of their lineup is ***** **** and those continue to sell poorly. Hey Lincoln, Do you see a pattern yet?
tho imho I have very similar feelings, John,
think I'd say "out of sync" or
"hopelessly out of sync" except pretty sure the drought is almost over

OK... I'm done trolling but I sure hope the MKC comes out soon without a hitch. And does anyone know anything about an MKS replacement? I remember seeing a mule with a Fusion body a while ago but I haven't heard/seen anything new on it.
that's not trolling imho tho feel free to do it!
&
the MKS & what's happening is still confusing me

#14 ·
Lincoln should offer a Sport version of the S to give it some attention until the new S launches in 2016.
well the EcoBoost version is no slouch, and with the variable dampening shocks set to Sport, it is downright fun to drive.

What do you suggest they do that is cheap and temp and quick until all new gets here. Current transmission is somewhat maxed out too.

#15 ·
well the EcoBoost version is no slouch, and with the variable dampening shocks set to Sport, it is downright fun to drive.

What do you suggest they do that is cheap and temp and quick until all new gets here. Current transmission is somewhat maxed out too.
Nothing much they can do given its biggest problems are excessive weight and the almost SUV height, neither easily fixed. Sadly IMO they went backwards with the new grill, it went from from distinctive to bland.

Otherwise I agree, the only thing they could do is an appearance package which inevitably ends up looking cheap.

#16 ·
True dat.
And large luxury cars should be heavy. It's not like they will suddenly turn into canyon carvers if they shed a couple hundred lbs. Can't have it all I guess, not without spending a crapload of money on exotic materials. And if your priority is sport over luxury, the MKZ AWD with V6 and Pilot tires is pretty mean through an apex.

#17 ·

A year from right now, a Lincoln showroom should be impressive with new X, C and Z. News of other products will also spur some excitement too.

Z is nice size and all, but I would take the bigger S any day of the week.

I would love to put my hands all over this interior, and keep them there.

I disagree. The last time I put my hand on that much black leather, I got spanked. While I like that a lot more than the original MKS interior, I really like the MKZ interior better. I know that some people agree with you, as I've heard that one person bought a MKZ hybrid only to find it too small for him. He traded it, with only 86 miles on it, for a MKS at another Lincoln dealer.

In any case, I do like that the MKZ is doing well. I could also say that Lincoln has spent a fair bit of money to get my attention, and get me into a MKZ, since I did show interest in it. And I haven't even been on Date Night yet...

#22 ·
Automotive News

"We're going to have our best sales ever for MKZ" when results for May are reported on Monday, June 3, said Jim Farley, Ford Motor Co. executive vice president of global marketing, sales, service and Lincoln. The previous May record for the MKZ was 3,092 units in 2007.

"Car shoppers are really falling in love with Z. That's putting pressure on the S," VanDyke said, referring to the MKZ's larger stablemate, the MKS sedan, which was refreshed for the 2013 model year. MKS sales peaked last May and will likely be off slightly this month, he said.
Went to the local Lincoln dealer tonight and they had four MKZ's on the lot. I must say that it looks much better in person...very low slung with minimal space above the tires in the wheelwells. The shape of it is pleasing and the wall to wall LED taillights are a great Lincoln signature styling element. Nearby was a 2012 MKZ. WOW, what a difference. The 2013 blows it away! Also parked next to one of the 2013 MKZ's was a 2013 MKS. I can see why it would have trouble selling compared to the MKZ. The MKS looks about 10 inches taller to begin with. One area that the MKZ may have a problem competing with Cadillac's latest models is interior material quality. While I like the fluid flow of the MKZ dash/console, the cut & leather material elements on the dash/door panels in the Cadillac look better IMO. Yes, it will be a long road to rebuild Lincoln, but it can be done. Ford is on a roll with the Fusion which I believe is about as much of a departure from the prior model as the Taurus was in 1986 when it replaced the LTD.

#23 ·
Thank you for posting your thoughts of the MKZ Mark! I appreciated reading an honest assessment of the MKZ vs the MKS. I had a feeling that was why the MKZ seems to have been taking some sales away from the MKS as of late. It's just a MUCH better looking car from the get go IMHO. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.