1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lincoln pulls plug on 'Dreams' ads

Amy Wilson

Automotive News | June 16, 2008 - 12:01 am EST

WASHINGTON — Lincoln is scrapping its 2-year-old "Dreams" advertising campaign.

"Dreams" advertisements stopped running nationally last month. With the introduction of the new 2009 MKS sedan, the brand is shifting to a product-focused message.

"The 'Dreams' campaign served us well as an emotional campaign," said Brett Wheatley, general marketing manager for Lincoln Mercury. "But now that we've got some real solid product, we're going to be putting a little more emphasis on the actual product attributes."

In addition to the MKS, Lincoln has added the MKX crossover and the smaller MKZ sedan in the past few years. Lincoln sales rose 9.1 percent in 2007 to 131,487 but are down 22.5 percent through the first five months of this year.

The "Dreams" campaign launched in 2006 with TV commercials focused on people pursuing individual goals. Appearing in the ads were celebrities such as musician Harry Connick Jr. and basketball player Dwyane Wade.

Lincoln doesn't need to replace the ads with a new brand campaign, Wheatley said. New product-focused spots will be targeted toward younger buyers.

MKS advertising is aimed at Generation X consumers in their 30s to mid-40s. TV commercials began this month, and the car is expected in dealerships by late June. MKS ads focus on the car's technology and include the brand's "Reach Higher" tag line, in use since 2005.

SOURCE: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...09/806160348/1018/MARKETING&template=printart

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It has nothing to do with "luck"
Aim your ads at a half generation below your true market, and you will net the buyers who are not quite ready to act their age, and if any generation doesn't want to act their age, it would certainly be the mid 40's to late 50's baby-boomers!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
MKS advertising is aimed at Generation X consumers in their 30s to mid-40s.
Ya, good luck with that.
as far as features, price, styling, etc. imho the MKS can win over any generation
and with the EcoBoost version coming in only about 6 months
its appeal will broaden even more...
the only question I have is if it's too big for the current pre-Depression/CAFE mood

really wish they'd have been able to do the one-two punch of the D385 & E386 - with slightly shorter overhangs = 'bracketing' the MKS's overall length

·
Registered
919 Posts
I like the newest commercials. MKS as a starship and the MKZ going up hill with rolling balls showing off its traction. Brilliant!!

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
I love the MKS ad. I got a MKS brochure (the big brochure) and it goes along with this new techno/spaceship theme. A theme that, if done correctly, can be very rewarding.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has nothing to do with "luck"
Aim your ads at a half generation below your true market, and you will net the buyers who are not quite ready to act their age, and if any generation doesn't want to act their age, it would certainly be the mid 40's to late 50's baby-boomers!

If their plan was to market to younger people in order to get older ones, don't you think he would have said so?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
MKS advertising is aimed at Generation X consumers in their 30s to mid-40s.
Ya, good luck with that.
A target doesn't mean necessarily a bulls eye. See how Cadillac has Kate Walsh in a CTS commercial, and then come to Miami to see all the blue haired little ladies driving CTSs expecting their cars to . . . you know, return the favor.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If their plan was to market to younger people in order to get older ones, don't you think he would have said so?
No, because he understands marketing.
Advertising is not based on who people are, it is based on how people wish to perceive themselves.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The new MKS ad rocks! People at work came up to me and asked if I had seen it because they know I am nuts about my Mark VIII. People are talking about this car!

The dream ads never struck me as well executed anyway. Just didn't do anything to make your mouth water for the automobile. Smart move to change directions.

I say... keep up the great work with the new style of ads. And the "get it in their face" attitude it has. Awesome!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A target doesn't mean necessarily a bulls eye. See how Cadillac has Kate Walsh in a CTS commercial, and then come to Miami to see all the blue haired little ladies driving CTSs expecting their cars to . . . you know, return the favor.

You can't seriously believe that those "blue haired little ladies" bought their CTS because of Kate Walsh, do you?

The younger people buying them as fast as they can be built, and have brought the median buyer age down to the late 40's, are the ones that campaign brought in.

Still, the blue hairs deserve a little........well.....you know.....

As the saying goes: "Just because there's snow on the roof, doesn't mean there's no fire in the furnace"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts