1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln Sales Increase Slightly Despite a Drop in Fleet Sales
Lincoln

Mar-04-2015 7:00 AM ET

Lincoln retail sales increased 3 percent in February versus last year despite a significant drop in fleet sales for the luxury brand.

“Lincoln’s February sales results were adversely impacted by a 52 percent decline in fleet sales,” said U.S. Sales Analyst Erich Merkle. “Retail is really the key with Lincoln, as luxury brands are built on retail sales.”

Lincoln’s newest products – the Navigator and the MKC – are doing very well. Sales of the Navigator were up 96 percent in February. There are no year-over-year comparisons for the MKC since the vehicle did not go on sale until last summer.

“Retail sales were up for the Lincoln brand, and we need to keep building on that,” said Merkle. “It is going to be a journey, and we will have some very exciting news coming from Lincoln soon, which will help us continue to build momentum long-term.”

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
“It is going to be a journey, and we will have some very exciting news coming from Lincoln soon, which will help us continue to build momentum long-term.”

What could it be that will help Lincoln build momentum long-term???

- New MKS?

- New Continental Flagship Sedan?

- New RWD Lincoln platform that the new MKS, Continental, New MKZ, New Aviator will use?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can't hardly wait to see what that exciting news will be. :D

It's good to see fleet numbers down in my opinion. No Lincoln should ever be relegated to rental car duty.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
“It is going to be a journey, and we will have some very exciting news coming from Lincoln soon, which will help us continue to build momentum long-term.”

What could it be that will help Lincoln build momentum long-term???...
I don't know ""U.S. Sales Analyst Erich Merkle""
some suits in the past seem just constantly excited due to their paychecks (?) :angel
otoh
this could be the start of PRE-HYPE for NYC :angel

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts

What could it be that will help Lincoln build momentum long-term???

- New MKS?

- New Continental Flagship Sedan?

- New RWD Lincoln platform that the new MKS, Continental, New MKZ, New Aviator will use?
maybe MKS concept for NY.
Not sure about a production version............no spy pics of it yet

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe MKS concept for NY.
Not sure about a production version............no spy pics of it yet
That's what I am thinking. Like MKX seems to target its market, hopefully the New MKS will zero in on it's market, so Lincoln can have a high volume large sedan.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
whatever it is ... assuming something on wheels
1. make it gorgeous AND a hint at even more gorgeous later intros
2. make the interior packaging (ie SPACE) 2nd only to Dr. Who's Tardis
3. give it EVERY tech humanly possible -drivetrains as well as gizmos- not nec. std
4. price it as a relative bargain
and
while they're doing that^
fill in the HOLES in the lineup... like a mkZENergi

Captain Obvious, signing out

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
sooo, if fleet sales remained same, gains would be 55% for the month, instead of 3%.

Nice
Lincoln sales were down 7.5% total in February.
Retail was up 3% and fleet was down 55%.

If fleet sold the same amount as last year, combining that with the 3% from retail would equal less than a 3% gain.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
sooo, if fleet sales remained same, gains would be 55% for the month, instead of 3%.

Nice
They are talking about fleet sales, not overall sales. Sales were down 8% overall so fleet sales are obviously a small portion of their sales (literally a few hundred sales).

A 3% retail increase is a little over 100 more vehicles. In either case, these are really small fluctuations.

·
Registered
436 Posts
IMHO, what the MKZ needs is a performance version with a 400hp engine and the new AWD system of the Focus RS!
Sounds like a plan to me!!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
IMHO, what the MKZ needs is a performance version with a 400hp engine and the new AWD system of the Focus RS!
Cadillac is showing very clearly that performance will not itself raise brand perception, at least not in a manner that results in greater sales. I would love to see some performance minded product from Lincoln, but given their current platforms I see them as more V-Sport than V-Spec. The issue as I see it is that that would put them in kind of a performance middle ground, nothing is wrong with that, it just won't be the type of lineup addition on which Lincoln can hang their hat.

Lincoln is in an interesting position, so much legacy, yet in today's market there really isn't a proven path back to prominence. Cadillac is taking the build it and they will come route and so far they're not coming. Lincoln has shown great focus on the buying/dealer experience and offering value, they've increased their sales some but really, they couldn't have gotten worse.

You would think Lexus would be a good starting point, but their success has resulted in greater sales than Cadillac and Lincoln, but they've never managed to move beyond the Toyota/Japanese customer base. Lexus truly is a great example of Detroit's past, a quality entry level brand that builds owner loyalty and funnels buyers into their premium brand. What I find interesting about Lexus is their relatively fast start for a non-legacy brand, yet when you consider the condition of Audi around the time Lexus was introduced and then look at them both today Audi has left them in the dust.

What was it that allowed Audi in the midst of their unintended acceleration period to rise from also-ran to BMW/Mercedes peer while Lexus stagnated? I don't have the time to research but it would be interesting to see the answer!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
joseodiaga4 said:
Cadillac is showing very clearly that performance will not itself raise brand perception, at least not in a manner that results in greater sales. I would love to see some performance minded product from Lincoln, but given their current platforms I see them as more V-Sport than V-Spec. The issue as I see it is that that would put them in kind of a performance middle ground, nothing is wrong with that, it just won't be the type of lineup addition on which Lincoln can hang their hat.

Lincoln is in an interesting position, so much legacy, yet in today's market there really isn't a proven path back to prominence. Cadillac is taking the build it and they will come route and so far they're not coming. Lincoln has shown great focus on the buying/dealer experience and offering value, they've increased their sales some but really, they couldn't have gotten worse.

You would think Lexus would be a good starting point, but their success has resulted in greater sales than Cadillac and Lincoln, but they've never managed to move beyond the Toyota/Japanese customer base. Lexus truly is a great example of Detroit's past, a quality entry level brand that builds owner loyalty and funnels buyers into their premium brand. What I find interesting about Lexus is their relatively fast start for a non-legacy brand, yet when you consider the condition of Audi around the time Lexus was introduced and then look at them both today Audi has left them in the dust.

What was it that allowed Audi in the midst of their unintended acceleration period to rise from also-ran to BMW/Mercedes peer while Lexus stagnated? I don't have the time to research but it would be interesting to see the answer!
major-:thumb: ^ completely agree
only change for my perspective is " SPEND it and they will come "
just cuz they haven't continued to build the plethorization of the CTS/5 (coupe & wagon) while adding the ATS's
tho
in fairness
re: Jose's comment... afaik the 400hp Nano-EB actually IS more V-Sport than V-series - pretty sure the CT5-V will get a v8 with over 500hp (can't find that info just now)

pre-edit: Link to Link about {RedPortfolio}

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Lexus was the fastest growing luxury brand in the US by volume and marketshare in 2014, it's a monumentally successful luxury business from sales to profit. I was actually surprised to find this out since I assumed the Germans were eating them up at this point, but that's not the case in the US. Lexus built its reputation on low expectation and exceeding them with breakthrough quality that topped the charts (and still does to this day). The other Japanese luxury makers have struggled to replicate the Lexus formula and have been at it for decades. Lincoln, much like Lexus, considers the Ford customer to be the most important customer so I expect to see continued evolution of luxury and sport as the brand matures since sporting is part of their customer identity.

Audi is successful for outstanding design, engineering, and marketing...it broke through by representing something new and original which is aspirational to many customers. All of this came together perfectly for them with a growing and younger luxury customer, particularly in China.

Lincoln's identity remains under developed but it's customers and purpose is mostly an evolution of the Lincoln we've already known (which is honestly concerning since that hasn't been working too well for them). Caddy went off the deep-end and has tried aggressively to reinvent its image and products (which is also concerning because it hasn't yield expected results). In any case, both companies have the fight of their life on their hands to get this side of their business to work because this is where all the money comes from. At this moment, I think both are equally lost but Caddy has the greatest potential once they figure out how to properly use it.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Lexus was the fastest growing luxury brand in the US by volume and marketshare in 2014, it's a monumentally successful luxury business from sales to profit. I was actually surprised to find this out since I assumed the Germans were eating them up at this point, but that's not the case in the US. Lexus built its reputation on low expectation and exceeding them with breakthrough quality that topped the charts (and still does to this day). The other Japanese luxury makers have struggled to replicate the Lexus formula and have been at it for decades. Lincoln, much like Lexus, considers the Ford customer to be the most important customer so I expect to see continued evolution of luxury and sport as the brand matures since sporting is part of their customer identity.

Audi is successful for outstanding design, engineering, and marketing...it broke through by representing something new and original which is aspirational to many customers. All of this came together perfectly for them with a growing and younger luxury customer, particularly in China...
up to HERE^ :thumb:

having trouble with this last part
...Lincoln's identity remains under developed but it's customers and purpose is mostly an evolution of the Lincoln we've already known (which is honestly concerning since that hasn't been working too well for them).

Caddy went off the deep-end and has tried aggressively to reinvent its image and products (which is also concerning because it hasn't yield expected results).

In any case, both companies have the fight of their life on their hands to get this side of their business to work because this is where all the money comes from. At this moment, I think both are equally lost but Caddy has the greatest potential once they figure out how to properly use it.
imho neither is "lost"
tho
imho Cadillac has spent billions & BILLIONS that FLincMoCo has NOT
+
imho they may very well be WRONG about what enough people want

/////now mirror image/////

FLincMoCo has spent LITTLE
but
their direction is exemplary - as I saw elsewhere someone saying Lincoln is already a 'cause célèbre' with online enthusiasts
as the purse strings loosen and the pipeline delivers,
non-fans (dunderheads) will be blown away

1 - 20 of 42 Posts