Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
via Andrew :thumb:
Ford Patents Complicated Method For Illuminating Lincoln Emblem
The idea lets the badge flash quickly in multiple colors
Motor1.com
Chris Bruce, Editor - Aug 30, 2017

Illuminated badges aren’t a new technology in the auto industry. Just look at the backlit star that’s widely available in the Mercedes-Benz lineup as an example. However, a recently published patent from Ford describes the most complicated version imaginable of this seemingly simple concept.
Illuminated badges aren’t a new technology in the auto industry. Just look at the backlit star that’s widely available in the Mercedes-Benz lineup as an example. However, a recently published patent from Ford describes the most complicated version imaginable of this seemingly simple concept.

Ford’s patent describes an illuminated badge with two or more light sources, and a computer would be able to control each of them separately. This would allow one light to remain on constantly while the other flashes. According to the company’s documentation, it imagines using this feature for “a car finding feature, a remote start indicator, a door lock indicator, a door ajar indicator, a running light etc.”

The tech would also be able to vary the color and brightness of each light’s illumination and flash for as little as 1/100th of a second. The ability to make these rapid changes would seem perfect for Ford’s future police vehicles.

The company’s patent also spends a significant amount of time describing the possibility of using a photoluminescent substance as one of the light sources. These materials absorb electromagnetic radiation and emit light – think of a glow-in-the-dark sign. When this portion illuminates, the other lights would “flicker in multiple different colors to create a prismatic appearance within the badge,” according to the document.

Ford believes that this complicated method of lighting a badge provides “an efficient and cost-effective means to produce illumination that may function as a distinct styling element that increases the refinement of a vehicle.” There’s no guarantee that a patented idea arrives on the market, but using the Lincoln badge for the illustrations in these documents might hint at the automaker’s plan for putting this concept into practice.

Source: United States Patent and Trademark Office

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Re: Lincoln STAR: new illumination...

Since I worked with so many patent attorneys and engineers, part of this not necessarily about producing a product but about professional development and CV building for their engineers. Which is great, I love this stuff.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Since I worked with so many patent attorneys and engineers, part of this not necessarily about producing a product but about professional development and CV building for their engineers. Which is great, I love this stuff.
Great insight, thanks man.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Thanks for posting @2b2!

Interesting how the patent shows the current Navigator and not the new one.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

Thanks for posting @2b2!

Interesting how the patent shows the current Navigator and not the new one.
My guess is it was applied for a while ago before the new one came out.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
What Borg was no doubt trying to say (in addition to minimizing any Ford advantages) is that innovation does not truly exist.....until they launch and sell a product with said technology. You be the judge of when innovation has truly happened, at the patent stage or at the dealership. But regardless, many of those innovative Ford patents do make it to production, and Ford is at or near the top pretty regularly. Which is in contrast to someone's assertion that Ford is not innovative. My only point here.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Last year Ford employees were granted 1,422 patents, more than any other automaker. I think this year is shaping up to be another good one.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2016/12/09/ford-patents/95192804/

Kind of confused though, as someone recently stated that Ford is not very innovative.
No confusion. There is a chasm between patents and product. One patent for combining carbon fibre, aluminum and hardened steel in a scalable chassis might be worth 1,422 patents for flashing lighted logos or gimbaled cup-holders.

As a potential conquest customer, I'd prefer to see innovation played out as a better car on the road that I would want to buy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts