1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Drew Johnson
Thursday, Dec 6th, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

Lincoln
's rumored MKC compact crossover will reportedly make its world debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The MKC, which will debut as a concept, is expected to be just the first of many new products aimed at reviving Ford's once thriving luxury brand.

The MKC will be the first Lincoln vehicle to be designed completely under the leadership of Max Wolff. Lincoln lured Wolff from Cadillac's design studio in January 2011.

The MKC will be based on Ford's redesigned Escape crossover. Little is known about the project at this time, but the compact CUV will likely borrow most of its styling cues from the Lincoln MKZ sedan.

Powertrians also remain a mystery. The Escape comes standard with a naturally aspirated 2.5L four-cylinder, but the Lincoln version of the crossover could offer the Escape's optional 1.6L EcoBoost or 2.0L EcoBoost motor as standard kit as a way to differentiate it from its Ford brethren.

The MKC will hit dealer lots in early 2014, according to Reuters.

Lincoln's compact crossover will just be one of several new models for Ford's luxury brand. A new version of the MKX crossover will land in late 2014, followed by an all-new version of the automaker's flagship MKS in early 2015. A compact luxury sedan based on the Focus and a rear-wheel drive performance car based on the Mustang are being considered for 2016.

Through the first 11 months of the year Lincoln's sales have decreased 3 percent to 75,000 units.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lincoln-to-display-compact-crossover-concept-in-detroit.html

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The MKC will be the first Lincoln vehicle to be designed completely under the leadership of Max Wolff. Lincoln lured Wolff from Cadillac's design studio in January 2011.

The MKC will be based on Ford's redesigned Escape crossover. Little is known about the project at this time, but the compact CUV will likely borrow most of its styling cues from the Lincoln MKZ sedan.
So, it will be completely designed under Max Wolff, but it will mostly carry MKZ styling cues. That doesn't make any sense.:confused:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Apparently the MKZ design was locked in until Max Wolfe came along and he didn't have enough time to do everything he wanted to.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Apparently the MKZ design was locked in until Max Wolfe came along and he didn't have enough time to do everything he wanted to.
The only thing he did iirc was the grille really

·
Registered
206 Posts
Early 2014 for a release date?!? :facepalm: That's way too long of a wait if that's true, they'd be much better off showing the real thing at LA next year or even Detroit the year after. I seriously hope that's not right and don't see how it could be with camo'ed versions already running around.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Early 2014 for a release date?!? :facepalm: That's way too long of a wait if that's true, they'd be much better off showing the real thing at LA next year or even Detroit the year after. I seriously hope that's not right and don't see how it could be with camo'ed versions already running around.
well that's the consensus, T.SHO, tho I agree on one hand - on the other
- I wanna see it
- think they'll NEED another 12 months tweaking
- imho:
FLincMoCo oughta continue the "confuse-the-fan" routine they've been practicing lately
&
do a cheap fiberglass rebody of a Mustang as a 2-seater
just to freak everybody out

·
Registered
206 Posts
well that's the consensus, T.SHO, tho I agree on one hand - on the other
- I wanna see it
- think they'll NEED another 12 months tweaking
- imho:
FLincMoCo oughta continue the "confuse-the-fan" routine they've been practicing lately
&
do a cheap fiberglass rebody of a Mustang as a 2-seater
just to freak everybody out
Yea I want to see it too lol, but I'm not to sure it's a good thing showing it that early. If they're going to take that much time to tweak things, I'm going to have very high expectations for this, and maybe it will be great, but I can already hear people crying how it's based off of the Escape and such.

Also, not to get too off topic, but I've been reading some recent and past threads around here. A number of your posts mention how you think Mercury will come back. Is that just wishful thinking, or do you really think they will (and why)?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Yea I want to see it too lol, but I'm not to sure it's a good thing showing it that early. If they're going to take that much time to tweak things, I'm going to have very high expectations for this, and maybe it will be great, but I can already hear people crying how it's based off of the Escape and such...
well
it's an AWFUL lot like what was done with the Z (except for the tweaking part)
and some reviews definitely are antagonizing some of us with Fusion-comparo-comments

...Also, not to get too off topic, but I've been reading some recent and past threads around here. A number of your posts mention how you think Mercury will come back. Is that just wishful thinking, or do you really think they will (and why)?
I can't really predict the future actions of any company insane enough to (even temporarily) close down the World's Most Perfect Brand

(like the new version of my sig?)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I do! I certainly hope they do come back, I miss the Grand Marquis, and we'll only have ours for another year and a half :(

·
Registered
919 Posts
I want to see Lincoln thrive, but all I can see now is the word RECALL!! So many recalls for the Escape and Now the Fusion.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't see it either, but it would have been around at least a few more years while being updated until a new RWD platform came along (from what I remember reading in 2007 or around that time). If my Town Car plans don't pan out (read can't afford one lol) I'll most likely get a Grand Marquis. Either way we'll have had five Panther cars since 1996 one I get one or the other. To keep myself from going on a further rant, I'll just mention that killing the Panther platform and Mercury is one of the many things I hate about "One Ford".

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Last time I saw, production begins in October. So unless they hold them for a really long time, I think it should be in late 2013.

·
Registered
206 Posts
^That seems a little more reasonable. Have an MKZ style rollout with the production version being released at the NY auto show, and at dealers in December.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Anybody think the large delay between the Escape and MKC is due to Max putting his signature on the design? The MKZ was delays by a few months putting it behind the Fusion's release, the longer delay on the MKC could be because the car was in earlier stages of development then the MKZ was when Max took over, allowing him more of a free hand to change things.

I'm really hoping we see significant differences on the MKC, included wheelbase and track changes!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ compare the SIDES & general shape of the new Z with the MKR Concept, Jose
imho only the back & front are significantly different
& Max just changed the grille & something about the headlites
the rest was left as it was before he arrived

Anybody think the large delay between the Escape and MKC is due to Max putting his signature on the design? The MKZ was delays by a few months putting it behind the Fusion's release, the longer delay on the MKC could be because the car was in earlier stages of development then the MKZ was when Max took over, allowing him more of a free hand to change things.

I'm really hoping we see significant differences on the MKC, included wheelbase and track changes!
I wish/hope but
I heard a very unofficial word that the MKC looks less different from the Escape than the Z
differs from the Fusion.
That's why the year-long wait from NAIAS to on-sale is OK with me - more time to tweak!!
&
Imho it's not exactly "delayed", they just aren't bringing out new Lincolns as fast as:
- we'd like
- they physically could
...budget ......budget ..........budget
:toetap:

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
... A compact luxury sedan based on the Focus and a rear-wheel drive performance car based on the Mustang are being considered for 2016.

This is the real news here. Is this true? A sedan based on the Focus. A Mustang based performance car? Whatever, 2014 is too late for the proyected compact CUV. Maybe by that date , Lincoln will be agonizing...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts