Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln: "Want complete separation in the minds of customers"
Detroit Free Press

Ford's efforts to keep its Ford and Lincoln brands separate in the minds of consumers extends beyond the separate design studios and engineering of distinct vehicles to different marketing campaigns and year-end sales promotions.

Today Ford is loudly pronouncing the start of its Friends and Neighbors sales event that runs through Jan. 4 and offers a set discount on each vehicle, determined by a formula.

Lincoln is quietly starting its own annual Wish List promotion today. Through Jan. 4, consumers can buy a Lincoln with no money down, no first month's payment and no money due at signing.

"Lincoln is planning to run their own event," said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service. Lincoln's long-term plan includes distinguishing itself from the mainstream Ford brand. "Want complete separation in the minds of customers," he said during a call to discuss October sales.

Lincoln sales in October were down almost 5%, but brand chief Kumar Galhotra said he is not worried about a single month's result.

LaNeve expects the luxury market to to do well in the final months of the year when many brands offer deals on vehicles that contribute mightily to the bottom line.

Galhotra said Lincoln also seeks to set itself apart from other luxury brands that attract alpha dogs who prefer raw power. Lincoln aims for a quiet, calming, stress-reducing experience that still provides power when needed, he said at an Automotive Press Association event Tuesday.

Galhotra feels it is working: Lincoln sales were up 16% in 2014 while the luxury market was up 8%. He expects Lincoln to be up 8-9% this year, helped by the recent launch of the new MKX mid-size crossover and addition of more Black Label high-end products and dealers certified to sell and service them. There should be 100 dealers by year's end.

And the brand continues to grow in China where Lincoln now has 22 dealers and expects 65 by the end of 2016.

Galhotra expects Lincoln will be successful in growing sales from 100,000 annually now to 300,000 a year by the end of the decade. Two new unnamed nameplates will be added to the core lineup to help with that growth.

Meanwhile, LaNeve said the Ford Friends and Neighbors deal won't escalate Ford's incentive spending and he is hoping the "simple, no hassle deal" will stand out in a crowded and competitive marketplace with lots of holiday and year-end specials.

"We will not be out there with Santa Claus and bows on the cars," LaNeve said. Listing the deal price on the window or online offers transparency, he said, and has proven successful in Canada where it has been a sales tactic for about 10 years.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Lincoln: "Want complete separation in the minds of customers"
Detroit Free Press

Ford's efforts to keep its Ford and Lincoln brands separate in the minds of consumers extends beyond the separate design studios and engineering of distinct vehicles to different marketing campaigns and year-end sales promotions.

Today Ford is loudly pronouncing the start of its Friends and Neighbors sales event that runs through Jan. 4 and offers a set discount on each vehicle, determined by a formula.

Lincoln is quietly starting its own annual Wish List promotion today. Through Jan. 4, consumers can buy a Lincoln with no money down, no first month's payment and no money due at signing.

"Lincoln is planning to run their own event," said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service. Lincoln's long-term plan includes distinguishing itself from the mainstream Ford brand. "Want complete separation in the minds of customers," he said during a call to discuss October sales.

Lincoln sales in October were down almost 5%, but brand chief Kumar Galhotra said he is not worried about a single month's result.

LaNeve expects the luxury market to to do well in the final months of the year when many brands offer deals on vehicles that contribute mightily to the bottom line.

Galhotra said Lincoln also seeks to set itself apart from other luxury brands that attract alpha dogs who prefer raw power. Lincoln aims for a quiet, calming, stress-reducing experience that still provides power when needed, he said at an Automotive Press Association event Tuesday.

Galhotra feels it is working: Lincoln sales were up 16% in 2014 while the luxury market was up 8%. He expects Lincoln to be up 8-9% this year, helped by the recent launch of the new MKX mid-size crossover and addition of more Black Label high-end products and dealers certified to sell and service them. There should be 100 dealers by year's end.

And the brand continues to grow in China where Lincoln now has 22 dealers and expects 65 by the end of 2016.

Galhotra expects Lincoln will be successful in growing sales from 100,000 annually now to 300,000 a year by the end of the decade. Two new unnamed nameplates will be added to the core lineup to help with that growth.

Meanwhile, LaNeve said the Ford Friends and Neighbors deal won't escalate Ford's incentive spending and he is hoping the "simple, no hassle deal" will stand out in a crowded and competitive marketplace with lots of holiday and year-end specials.

"We will not be out there with Santa Claus and bows on the cars," LaNeve said. Listing the deal price on the window or online offers transparency, he said, and has proven successful in Canada where it has been a sales tactic for about 10 years.
imho FLincMoCo shouldn't even think the term "alpha dogs" ...as not pertaining to Lincoln vehicles,
let alone SAY it

maybe 'fashion-victims' or 'performance dinosaurs'?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Lincoln is more dependent on lease pricing so typically they adjust the residuals to create better lease rates which eliminates the need to dump conspicuous incentives on the hood of a car. Anybody who leases Lincoln knows just how dramatically lease pricing drops from quarter as those rates are reassessed. The same MKZ I almost leased for $700 a/month when it launched in 2013 can now be had for less than half that!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I never get tired of looking at the Conti.
I can't say that for many cars.

This thing is going to be a huge hit.

But will the production conti look like the concept? And I'm not so sure that ANY full size car can be a hit in the age of SUVs.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
I would guess the final version looks about 95% like the concept (based on what I have seen and what was said by management).

For a calibrated reference, the MKX was probably, IMO, about 93% like it's concept, in hindsight.

So pretty close I would say.

And I truly believe that a beautifully styled large luxury sedan will change many peoples minds on CUV's and we just might see a small resurgence of them. At least at Lincoln. And I say this because, I really can't think of all that many ~$60-$75K large luxury sedans with this kind of style that causes me to stare. It just stands out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks wings. I sure hope it looks similar to the concept but I fear it will lose those great proportions. When I look at the concept, I can also imagine a beautiful, elegant and powerful coupe version. But I'm likely dreaming because there just isn't a business case for a coupe. And I agree, it would be fantastic to see large, luxury cars return in a big way. It would be awesome to see Lincoln succeed here!

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The refreshed MKZ with an updated front and rear treatment should look like a smaller Continental.

And hope the MKZ also gets the shorter front end as well:

I also hope Lincoln cleans up the lines on the MKZ a bit. Looking at the side profile, there are too many cut lines at the bottom of the doors, where there is a lower side crease, then the lower cladding line then the bottom of the door line, when the end of the door should be where the side cladding starts. The extra trim line on the actual doors mimicking the cladding line is not needed at all.

Same with the rear diffuser/exhaust design.

In the end, I would like to see the MKZ look like it's a smaller sibling of the New Continental as much as possible, since Lincoln will only have two sedans for a while, and both should be easily identified as a Lincoln.

I also think the Continental starting in the $50k+ and $80k+ with Black Label will do well with pulling E-Class and 5-Series customers, who are older and more luxury/comfort/safety focused than sport/performance like a C-Class/3-Series or IS customer. As long as Lincoln continues to build on their luxury image though exceeding the customers expectations with service.

Thinking about expectations, a few features I would like to see on the New Continental are:

1. Those amazing 30 way adjustable seats

2. Updated approach system that opens the driver's door like the Tesla Model X, and push button door closure.

3. Gesture control for the trunk, so you just gesture and upward motion with the hand, and the truck opens. Same for drivers door, sun roof, side window control. Like Magic!

4. Electronic sun roof and rear window tinting.

5. Self parking without the driver having to shift or break, or be in the car.

6. All the current driving aids from Lincoln, plus active city stop, sign detection.

7. Heads up display

8. Digital dash control

9. Performance AWD, but Lincoln should call it something else, but offering the 'feel' of RWD during hard acceleration, and the stability of Intelligent AWD all the time. (Intelligent AWD+)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I never get tired of looking at the Conti.
I can't say that for many cars.
Same here for me.... Oddly, the Conti, being FWD, isn't to my liking ... but it looks oh so good.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (awaiting new owner)
"It could've been different somehow" __ Doug Stone __ 'Why Didn't I Think Of That?'

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
nice list, Bloggin :thumb:
The refreshed MKZ with an updated front and rear treatment should look like a smaller Continental...
...In the end, I would like to see the MKZ look like it's a smaller sibling of the New Continental as much as possible, since Lincoln will only have two sedans for a while, and both should be easily identified as a Lincoln...
I'm hoping the Z keeps a unique style
unlike the C & X
which, imho, are a bit too much diff length sausages, esp. in front
&
dying to see other interpretations of StarShadow (real or chops!!)

...And hope the MKZ also gets the shorter front end as well...
IF there's no model between the Conti and Z,
I'm less concerned about this than I would have been with my tweener 'Mark'

...I also think the Continental starting in the $50k+ and $80k+ with Black Label will do well...
I can see a Conti[BL] topping out at $80k - that's it - for now
(tho for said top-loaded $80k, what drivetrain? & what starting price?)
Conti price Poll

...a few features I would like to see on the New Continental are:
2. Updated approach system that opens the driver's door like the Tesla Model X, and push buttron door closure.
3. Gesture control for the trunk, so you just gesture and upward motion with the hand, and the truck opens. Same for drivers door, sun roof, side window control. Like Magic!
6. All the current driving aids from Lincoln, plus active city stop, sign detection.
7. Heads up display
8. Digital dash control
9. Performance AWD, but Lincoln should call it something else, but offering the 'feel' of RWD during hard acceleration, and the stability of Intelligent AWD all the time. (Intelligent AWD+)
at first I thought I read "for the Z"...
I would like to see most-if-not-all those offered on ALL Lincolns...limited to [BL]/top-LSL levels for models OTHER than Conti and Navi - prolley not even on Aviator & LincStangs ('cept those^ 2 trims)
but then
I have a fixation on EVERY Lincoln having EVERY feature available
:angel
hopefully my infrequent configurizing the LuxBrands will yield ideas on what to add to a tippy-top Conti
& eventually my [WhiteLabel] bespoke level vehicles

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The refreshed MKZ with an updated front and rear treatment should look like a smaller Continental.

And hope the MKZ also gets the shorter front end as well:

I also hope Lincoln cleans up the lines on the MKZ a bit. Looking at the side profile, there are too many cut lines at the bottom of the doors, where there is a lower side crease, then the lower cladding line then the bottom of the door line, when the end of the door should be where the side cladding starts. The extra trim line on the actual doors mimicking the cladding line is not needed at all.

Same with the rear diffuser/exhaust design.

In the end, I would like to see the MKZ look like it's a smaller sibling of the New Continental as much as possible, since Lincoln will only have two sedans for a while, and both should be easily identified as a Lincoln.

I also think the Continental starting in the $50k+ and $80k+ with Black Label will do well with pulling E-Class and 5-Series customers, who are older and more luxury/comfort/safety focused than sport/performance like a C-Class/3-Series or IS customer. As long as Lincoln continues to build on their luxury image though exceeding the customers expectations with service.

Thinking about expectations, a few features I would like to see on the New Continental are:

2. Updated approach system that opens the driver's door like the Tesla Model X, and push button door closure.

7. Heads up display

8. Digital dash control

Agree with all . The digital dash controls is OK for me. I want a car without any button, knob or fisical switch in the interior. But americans doesnt want it. Americans love physical controls like knobs, switches and buttons. That is why Ford and Lincoln are reversing the trend and are putting more of this "ancient" things in their cars.

Give me a completly digital/touch interior in my Continental and i will be happy! And if you can cover it with leather, alcantara ,wood, crystal and chrome, much better...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Complete separation will be achieved when customers and potential customers know that Lincoln models are not just upgraded Fords.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts